WnSoft Forums

Objects & Animation

JEB

Hi Folks,

I wonder if somebody can explain a couple of points regarding Objects and Animation (O&A) which have been bothering me for some time.

I should underline that I have limited my experimenting up till now to fairly simple Pan & Zoom.

I have two questions.

Why is it that if you select an image from a show from the panel along the bottom (don’t know its name!) and in the course of applying some animation or you add additional images and remove the original image the original still shows in the bottom panel and indeed in the main large image panel though, as you would expect, not in any preview?

My second question or perhaps observation would be a better word as perhaps there is some good reason, which has up till now, escaped me. It concerns the O&A window.

I notice that when several images are “stacked” in the objects panel if you click on any object name its “key points” are revealed but if it is not the top image in the stack it remains hidden behind the top image in the main window. Personally I find this a little confusing at times and wonder if there is something I am missing.

I hope I have explained myself.

Regards to all and in particular to Lin who I see is getting back into action.

John

Hi John,

I do not quite understand your first question, but the second :

I notice that when several images are “stacked” in the objects panel if you click on any object name its “key points” are revealed but if it is not the top image in the stack it remains hidden behind the top image in the main window. Personally I find this a little confusing at times and wonder if there is something I am missing.

This is quite in order, because what you see is what will be produced if you make an exe file.

Just selecting an object does not change its position in the stack. The top most object will cover the underlying objects (of course, you can change the position in the stack with ctrl-pageup or pagedown).

Regards

Ragnar

Why is it that if you select an image from a show from the panel along the bottom (don’t know its name!) and in the course of applying some animation or you add additional images and remove the original image the original still shows in the bottom panel and indeed in the main large image panel though, as you would expect, not in any preview?

The image you put first in the slide list in the main window is defined as the "main image" and it's the one which appears for the slide in the slide list.

But if you want an other image you add on this slide to be the one seen in the slide list (or if you remove this first image), go in the objects and animation window, in the "objects(3)" window select the image you want to be seen in the slide list and in the "properties" tab, check "main image".

Close the "objects and animation" window, the object you just choosed as "main image" is now the one which appears for this slide in the slide list.

Hoping you can understand what I mean...

I think Ragnar gave you the correct explanation.

I don't know if you are a photoshop user but the obejcts visibility works in PTE exactly like it does in photoshop with the layers.

One option there is in photoshop that doesn't exist in PTE though is the ability to hide/show a layer ("layer visibility").

May be it would be an interesting option to implement in a future version of PTE... ;)

An option you can use now is to set the opacity of an object to 0 to reveal the object underneath.

Why is it that if you select an image from a show from the panel along the bottom (don't know its name!) and in the course of applying some animation or you add additional images and remove the original image the original still shows in the bottom panel and indeed in the main large image panel though, as you would expect, not in any preview?

John,

You have hit on something I hadn't realized before - if you delete the main image in O&A, the image does indeed persist on the slide list, and there is now no main image identified in O&A. It's counter-intuitive, and doesn't really adversely affect anything, and perhaps this little gem can be useful someday in creating a work-around for a special effect of some kind!! Keep it in your bag of tricks! :)

I notice that when several images are "stacked" in the objects panel if you click on any object name its "key points" are revealed but if it is not the top image in the stack it remains hidden behind the top image in the main window. Personally I find this a little confusing at times and wonder if there is something I am missing.

As Ragnar and Dom have replied, this is correct. I agree with Dom that it would be very nice, as in PS, to be able to click on a little "eye" and make the object transparent in O&A, but not in the actual show.

Folks,

As always thanks for your prompt replies.

Question1

I understand now that I have to nominate an image to be the one visible in the slide list unless it was the first image placed there.

I see that Al has taken up my point regarding the “non-deletion” of the original image. I’m not convinced however, that it would not be better that it was properly removed to save confusion. Perhaps an option for it not to be removed may be a better way forward.

Question 2

I suspected this was the case and agree that the PS solution would be preferable.

Supplementary Question

Taking this a stage further – and deeper into the mire!

I find that when working with several objects in O&A and the timing relationship between each object, that unless I take detailed written notes of the times of each action for each object, it is difficult to relate these actions to the actions of the other objects. I hope I make myself clear! This would, I think be less confusing if the timing points of a nominated additional object could be displayed (temporally) along with the other object, on the O&A timeline, ideally in a different colour.

Alternatively, if there was a permanent grid on the O&A timeline this may help when switching between objects.

Perhaps my working methods are wrong and I should be recording on paper before going into O&A each action for each object rather than making it up as I go along.

I always have “flown by the seat of my pants” and never was one for planning! I'd never make a programmer.

Regards and thanks in advance for your observations.

John

Alternatively, if there was a permanent grid on the O&A timeline this may help when switching between objects.

Hi John,

This alternative solution (graduations above the timeline) was suggested : see http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index....ost&p=29832 and http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index....ost&p=29920.

I'm really not sure but I think Igor added this request in his "To Do" list (for a future version) but I couldn't find his reply... :unsure:

Question1

.............snip.......................

I see that Al has taken up my point regarding the "non-deletion" of the original image. I'm not convinced however, that it would not be better that it was properly removed to save confusion. Perhaps an option for it not to be removed may be a better way forward.

John,

I can think of one use for this: If you remove the image from the slide list, then the image that will show on the slide list is the one which takes over the "main slide" role. However, it is handy to retain a definitive slide as the main image in order to help remember what that slide is all about. This is one way to do this (and I think Igor has already used this method in one of his demos).

Supplementary Question

...........snip..........

There have been several grids designed which can be temporarily imported into O&A to help line up objects, etc. (a search of the Forum should lead you to past discussion on these - a couple of transparent grids are located on my own website at: http://www.alrobinson.com/shows.htm .)

Your suggestions for more options on the O&A menu are well taken - any aids which would help in lining things up would be valuable. However, taking notes is essential in setting up a complex action. JP and I, and possibly others, use spreadsheets in setting up PTE productions. These can be invaluable, as they also allow for complex calculations on where different objects, etc., should be placed.

Hi Dom, Al,

Thank you both for your replies. I should have guessed that it had all been thought of before. Having said that it is comforting to know that our concerns and ideas are taken seriously and as often as not implimented.

I will just keep plugging away.

Thanks again

John