WnSoft Forums

Pix2Exe vs. ProShow Gold

Bruman

Is ProShow Gold another slide show presentation program that will enable me to make VCD's or do I use the Pix2exe program to create the slide show and then use Proshow Gold to make the VCD.

Also, other than the VCD option of ProShow Gold, how do the 2 programs compare..

Also, is the VCD copy equal or better than a VHS tape quality when viewed on the TV..

I have both programs. I use Pix2exe for pc slide shows and it is great. I recently purchased ProShow Gold mainly for tv slide shows. I only use the XSVCD mode for my presentations and the result on the tv is excellent. Of course, make sure that your DVD player can read this type of VCD. The quality is better than VHS. In fact I have made VHS copies of slideshows from the XSVCD and the quality was very good. I can also use the same CD to view the slideshow on my CD pc player. I think both of these programs are worth buying.

Bruman and loujan:

Welcome to the Pcture to Exe Forum !

This is a forum for the discussion of PTE by its users. In the past discussions of competing products has not been appreciated.

Yes, there are competing softwares available and they have there pros and cons, just like PTE can not be all things to all people.

We all want Igor to add more and more variant features and he does a marvelous job of that. The ideas for these additional features come from various sources.

For my needs you can't beat PTE. :)

Other products can be discussed in forums supplied by their manufacturers or users. Which of course do not readily exist. This forum is another great feature of PTE ! :)

Bruman:

I want to reassure you that I don't think that you stepped over (or anywhere near, for that matter) any sort of "line" in terms of discussing other programs. You understand the general concern I'm sure - we don't want to use up Wnsoft's webboard promoting other programs, obviously. But your questions:

Is ProShow Gold another slide show presentation program that will enable me to make VCD's or do I use the Pix2exe program to create the slide show and then use Proshow Gold to make the VCD.

Also, other than the VCD option of ProShow Gold, how do the 2 programs compare..

Also, is the VCD copy equal or better than a VHS tape quality when viewed on the TV..

...relate to the functionality of PTE and it's ability (or lack thereof) to get you to a VCD by itself or in concert w/another tool. Questions about functionality differences between PTE and other programs, and how PTE can or can't be teamed up with other programs are quite reasonable and likely useful to many visitors to this board. Please don't let our zeal to support Igor and PTE put you off. :-)

An recent thread that has some info that will be interesting to you can be found here

Basically, the current version of PTE does not support making VCDs. A future version (a month or two away or more) will likely be able to export video files that you will be able to use to create VCDs (or SVCDs or DVDs). You will still need another program (such as Nero, or Roxio's DVD creator) to author and burn VCDs. Read the other thread and ask if you have any additional questions.

Also, see www.dvdrhelp.com for lots (thats LOTS!) of info on the general subject of making VCDs, DVDs, etc.

Dana

Bruman,

I second Dana's opinion on this. We've invited the opportunity to contrast the capabilities of other, similar programs for the past three years here and I trust we'll continue in that fashion. It is the PROMOTION of other software packages that is uncouth, not the discussion of their merits.

The first point I'd like to make is rather than think in terms of "this OR that", perhaps it may be more useful to think in terms of "this AND that" because PTE and PSG market niches only overlap partially.

I use PTE for my computer based shows and PSG for my video shows. PTE has superior composition tools (specifically in the area of transition placement) and is very robust. PSG on the other hand is slanted more towards video... at least that's my take on it... and does a very good job of it.

I would caution you to reconsider making VCDs for your television based shows. The resolution for plain vanilla VCD uses up about half the potential resolving capability of a television and the mediocre quality of the format demonstrates this. VCD is fine for VHS quality movies and the like, but for creating a show specifically to show off the beauty of images, I suggest you consider SVCD as a baseline. As loujan mentions, the quality improves dramatically with the higher resolutions (and bitrates) of the MPG2 based video shows.

I recommend also going to VCDHelp.com to download their "capatibility" CDs to check to see if your DVD player will play SVCDs, XSVCDs, MiniDVDs, etc. While the duration of a show that you make with these other mediums are limited (somewhere between 15 and 30 minutes depending on the format), the improved quality makes up for the brevity.

Casey