WnSoft Forums

Creating an AVI Problem

Marlene

I used one of TheDom's templates and created an avi with it and it worked just fine in ProShow Producer.

I then used Jean-Pierre's template, created an avi and there is no way it works in PSP. I even had to uninstall and reinstall PSP a couple of times. Got some weird messages.

The first message was DirectDraw is malfunctioning. I checked at Microsoft and made sure I had the latest DirectX installed. No problem there. A problem report summary for Microsoft said there was no solution and the cause was unknown. Finally after the second or third uninstall/reinstall of PSP I decided to abandon that particular avi. Created a show tonight using avi's from my camera and had no problems.

Right now I have PTEXE5 open the slideshow with JP's template. I just tried to create an avi - Microsoft RLE and I get a message "catCantSetVideoFormat". I get that message with all the Microsoft codec except Video 1. I'm not sure but I don't think that was the codec I used with TheDom's template.

The show with TheDom's template shows a picture while JP's shows a black screen if that means anything. The slideshow using JP's template does play well on my computer.

Am I screwing up here someplace?

Marlene

Hi Marlene,

Does the AVI with JPD's Photo Album play properly for you on Windows Media Player or with IrfanView? If so, there may be some issue with Producer and AVI - it wouldn't be the first time. There are quite a few issues with AVI and Producer. It seems some AVI's will embed and others won't for whatever reason. It may be having to do with codecs, but I'm not certain. Whatever the case, you should not have to reinstall Producer just because you tried to embed an AVI and it failed. That's a major bug in Producer and hopefully they will get that issue worked out soon No program should crash to the point of needing reinstallation because of an incompatible codec .

I've found that if you use one of the more popular video codecs like Microsoft Video 4 that the compatibility is greatest. Codecs are a major pain and you may want to download and install the ACE Mega Codec Pack which has most of the popular codecs. You don't have to install all of the codecs, you can pick and choose and the ACE package is free. You can find it on the web by just doing a search for ACE Mega Codec.

Best regards,

Lin

I used one of TheDom's templates and created an avi with it and it worked just fine in ProShow Producer.

I then used Jean-Pierre's template, created an avi and there is no way it works in PSP. I even had to uninstall and reinstall PSP a couple of times. Got some weird messages.

The first message was DirectDraw is malfunctioning. I checked at Microsoft and made sure I had the latest DirectX installed. No problem there. A problem report summary for Microsoft said there was no solution and the cause was unknown. Finally after the second or third uninstall/reinstall of PSP I decided to abandon that particular avi. Created a show tonight using avi's from my camera and had no problems.

Right now I have PTEXE5 open the slideshow with JP's template. I just tried to create an avi - Microsoft RLE and I get a message "catCantSetVideoFormat". I get that message with all the Microsoft codec except Video 1. I'm not sure but I don't think that was the codec I used with TheDom's template.

The show with TheDom's template shows a picture while JP's shows a black screen if that means anything. The slideshow using JP's template does play well on my computer.

Am I screwing up here someplace?

Marlene

Hi There

I am having the same problem as Marlene, I created Jean-Pierre's photo album and then a stand alone AVI file in PTE, which I cannot load into PSP or Windows Movie Maker.

I have been in contact with Photodex and they suggested that I download ACE Mega Codec Pack but did not advise on the best Codec settings. After installing most of the files from ACE Mega Codec Pack, and trying to create a new stand alone AVI file, I cannot see Microsoft Video 4 in the drop-down menu.

Can you please point me to the best codec setting option.

Actually the drop-down menu of codecs needs to be modified with a scroll-bar so it's possible to read the choices. I've emailed Igor a screen capture showing the problem and I'm sure he will look into it.

Do you have a DIV-X "Fast" option which is visible? If so, try that one and probably you should alter JPD's show in PTE so it will end after running rather than loop. I'm not certain, but I suspect Producer may not know how to deal with an AVI which loops endlessly so that could be part of the problem.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi There

I am having the same problem as Marlene, I created Jean-Pierre's photo album and then a stand alone AVI file in PTE, which I cannot load into PSP or Windows Movie Maker.

I have been in contact with Photodex and they suggested that I download ACE Mega Codec Pack but did not advise on the best Codec settings. After installing most of the files from ACE Mega Codec Pack, and trying to create a new stand alone AVI file, I cannot see Microsoft Video 4 in the drop-down menu.

Can you please point me to the best codec setting option.

To see the codecs available in PTE v.5, click "Video / Create AVI". Then select "Create custom AVI video file" and click on "Video codec" to open the "Video Compression" menu. Then select the arrow under "Compressor" to open a list of Codecs.

Hi Lin and Al

I have overcome the problem, I selected Mpeg4 and that produced an AVI that I could open in PSP. Lin, to remove the loop in JPD's template do I just deselect the radio box in the project options (Main) dialogue box?

I just created an avi with these settings:

XVID config.

XVID MPEG-4 codec

Profile level unrestricted

Encoding type - single pass

Plays well in Windows Movie Media player.

PSP screen goes white after a period and Windows Task Master shows PSP is not responding.

One more test and if that doesn't work I'm contacting Photodex.

Marlene

Hi Al,

The problem is that there is no horizontal scroll bar for the codec choices and some of the text is too wide to see which codec to select. Many are short enough to read, such as PicturesToExe video codec but a sizeable number of those which I have loaded are not readable. Three of mine all begin with "Mpeg 4 Video Codec Compres........ and the actual designator which delineates the difference is outside the boundaries of the window. A horizontal scroll bar is needed to allow reading the complete text to allow choosing the right one without trial and error.

Best regards,

Lin

To see the codecs available in PTE v.5, click "Video / Create AVI". Then select "Create custom AVI video file" and click on "Video codec" to open the "Video Compression" menu. Then select the arrow under "Compressor" to open a list of Codecs.

The problem is that there is no horizontal scroll bar for the codec choices and some of the text is too wide to see which codec to select. Many are short enough to read, such as PicturesToExe video codec but a sizeable number of those which I have loaded are not readable. Three of mine all begin with "Mpeg 4 Video Codec Compres........ and the actual designator which delineates the difference is outside the boundaries of the window. A horizontal scroll bar is needed to allow reading the complete text to allow choosing the right one without trial and error.Lin

Lin,

Sorry, I thought you were talking about a vertical scroll. I see now what the problem is.