WnSoft Forums

Save as

sshort

I just got PTE and am having a couple of problems. I did the "File Save As" and started a new folder where I will put all the files in. However when I went to bring up in Photoshop it would not recognize the file nor would PaintShop Pro. Would this be because I have not saved as an EXE yet.?

I am not finsihed with it yet as I want to insert music whcih brings up the second problem and I must sound really ignorant on this. Do I just go to MP3 and find music I like and download to my computer? Do you pay for this? I am not at all familiar with Mp3 as use Windows Media and like it a lot.

Thanks so much for any help. I teach photography and this would be so useful to use for class presentations and think the music would make it.

Do I just go to MP3 and find music I like and download to my computer?

Welcome to the Forum!

You can download MP3 music from the web if you wish, some of which is free, and some of which you will have to pay for.

However, I suspect most of us use a sound editor like "Cool Edit" or "Acoustica" or "Cubase", etc., and copy files from tapes or CD's into the pc through a sound-card, or by "ripping" them directly from the CD to a file on the hard drive, and then either use them as is (as ".wav" files), or even better, by converting them (using the same software) to compressed ".mp3" files, in much the same way that you convert "tiff" image files to "jpegs". Hope this helps. B)

Marian......I don't know why I just read that on a tutorial that someone did. I have no idea what you are talking about when you say "fix" first..... the picts are already saved as jpgs if thats what you mean.....remember I just got this and as much as I have spent hours some things are just not clear enough for me.

I went to MP3 whaich was a horrable experience with all the pop ups and almost crashed my computer....think I will try what you suggested alrobin... and learn more about using a sound editor.

Thanks for your help B)

Welcome , sshort

I believe your problem is that you are trying to save your .pte (project file) for use and to open in PS or PSP in some manner. This cannot be done ... the .pte file is a text based file and not an image based file that can be opened and edited within your various graphics programs. PTE does not save the images within the .pte file itself ... it only uses the destination path to your image files used where ever they may be.

You can edit the .pte text contents with a text based editor or notepad. The .pte file has no images.

Also the compiled (pte) exe file will not open within any graphic editor so as to edit its image content...

Hi sshort

There is unclear issue with MP3. I read a while ago that the use of MP3 is not free, no matter if the file itself is free or not. This must be checked. I remember same thing about jif but not sure. You may find some Legal mp3 HERE.

When you download mp3 file, check that it is really free, because many sites give mp3 for download but they have no right to do so. You can use free wav files and convert them to mp3 with one of many free programs on the net.

As for your "Photoshop" problem, are you trying yo open the pte file with Photoshop ? Please give more details and I'm sure someone will help you with this.

Yes I did figure that out finally as I saw it as a text file somewhere. So I created the file and then copied onto a disk then opened in Windows Explorer which worked so I am assuming it is the only place you can open. This was all an experiment as I wanted to see how it worked by putting on a disk and opening on another computer. I checked out the sound editors but may try to find someone who can help me with this as this is a little over my head.

Thanks again.

sshort,

You will find plenty of help on your whatever choice of sound editor you select to use from many here in the forum. Try also doing a TOPIC search on sound editors in this forum ... you will find plenty of posts to gather your needs and details in their uses.

As for opening the .pte .... if you have a text based editor ( or even using Notepad ) ... open the Editor and click from its drop down menu options " OPEN" file. In using Windows Notepad.exe ... click "OPEN" ... but make your file filter for "ALL FILES" and not just ".TXT" files.

sshort,

When using nobeefstu instructions you may sometimes not be able to open the pte file. This is because Notepad is limited to files up to about 50 kb or so. So if you have many slides or objects, you probably get a message that the file is too big to open with Notepad and it will ask you if you want to open it with other program (I think "Wordpad").

Also you can check my utility called "All PTE" which will show you a list of all your pte files and can open each to see its content and also run it (open with PicturesToExe). You can find all utilities here: http://beechbrook.com/pte/

Boxig , Thanks for reminding about the notepad limitations.

Ive been using Winsyntax ( text editor) for quite sometime for most of my text based needs ... Ive totally forgot about the Notepad size limit. :blink:

I also will have to check out your "ALL PTE" ... I need to get a bit reorganized in my project file management ...even though I been a bit lax in creating many .pte files lately. B)

Hope all is well

Hi Stu,

I'm using "Notepad Plus" (free program) which has no limitation. "All PTE" can be useful since it gives quick access to all your pte files and you can not edit them so no one can make mistake and corrupting files.

Now I'm working on "All-Files" program. It is actually done but have to solve some Dos problem concerning spaces in folder names. User can choose any file type, saving to lists for qiuck access and view most of them by click on file name.

Boxig

Just a quick note and may help :

In some cases on projects that Ive had problems with folder names having spaces ... using quotation marks "\..." in the path label has been useful.

Therefore \MY DOCUMENTS would be labeled "\MY DOCUMENTS".

May or may not work for you in your situation ... but worth a shot.