WnSoft Forums

What files does PTE make?

gavingough

I'm trying to understand what files PTE actually makes when it creates an .exe file. I've been using PTE for a while but have recently switched to a Mac. Sadly, no PTE for Macs (yet?) although I know that there are ways of running PC software on my Mac.

However, what I think may help me is if I understood what PTE actually creates when it exports an exe file. Is it, for example, actually creating an .avi file that the executable simply runs or is it something more complex than that?

The reason I ask is that I wonder if I can create a .mov or .avi file on my Mac and then simply find a utility that will wrap it up in an .exe file. It's quite possible that I've misunderstood something simple about how PTE works so please don't shout but if anyone can explain it to me I'd be very grateful.

Ultimately, I'd like to be able to create slideshows on my Mac that I can send to PC users and which will auto-run when loaded onto their machine. Or at least a file that would require no more intervention from them than an .exe file made my PTE would demand.

Cheers

Gavin

This question is best answered by Igor, but let me say that it is much more complex than running an AVI. PicturesToExecute hardware renders at the resolution you feed it. AVI. MPEG, etc., are low resolution movie formats which are quite different than the executable files created by PicturesToExe. High resolution intermediate images (intermidiate between the start and ending keypoints) are rendered then played back at speeds which allow smooth movement in scroll, rotate, pan and zoom. These are then wrapped into an executable format designed for the PC.

You could create an AVI or MPEG file on your Mac then find a utility which would convert this to an executable format by including a run-time engine, but the results would be far from the quality of images produced in a PicturesToExe executable file.

Your best bet, however, would be either to use PicturesToExe with one of the Macintosh utilities which allows running Windows on the Mac or use one of the MacIntosh slide show programs to create the original. Then convert it to Flash 8 which can then be seen on either Mac or PC machines. Flash is the most common format which is cross-compatible via the web. If you create an AVI or MPEG this can also be downloaded from the web then played on either a Mac or PC since each can play these formats.

But as far as I know, there is nothing native to the Macintosh which can produce PTE quality in a presentation slideshow.

Best regards,

Lin

I'm trying to understand what files PTE actually makes when it creates an .exe file. I've been using PTE for a while but have recently switched to a Mac. Sadly, no PTE for Macs (yet?) although I know that there are ways of running PC software on my Mac.

However, what I think may help me is if I understood what PTE actually creates when it exports an exe file. Is it, for example, actually creating an .avi file that the executable simply runs or is it something more complex than that?

The reason I ask is that I wonder if I can create a .mov or .avi file on my Mac and then simply find a utility that will wrap it up in an .exe file. It's quite possible that I've misunderstood something simple about how PTE works so please don't shout but if anyone can explain it to me I'd be very grateful.

Ultimately, I'd like to be able to create slideshows on my Mac that I can send to PC users and which will auto-run when loaded onto their machine. Or at least a file that would require no more intervention from them than an .exe file made my PTE would demand.

Cheers

Gavin