WnSoft Forums

OT: HDTV - LCD or Plasma

RayPar

If you were planning to buy one, which one would it be, the LCD or the Plasma screen type? I've been looking at both types with same resolution rating. The LCD version appears to be lot sharper and crisper. The colors are also appearing very uniform and solid. The picture on this Sharp Model is amazing and it would fit perfectly above our sliding door in the bedroom (assuming I can sweet-talk the wife into getting one B)). The picture on the Plasma versions seems to be somewhat grainy.

What's your take on this or any other brand worth looking into?

Ray

LCD/TFT has the best image hands down. In comparable size price is moderately close to same.

Plasma has the best brightness but LCD/TFT is getting better. Plasma is subject to image memory burn if you have a graphic that is always in the same place on screen.

In large sizes they're both very pricy. Plasma is available in larger sizes but it won't be long before LCD/TFT catches up.

The only negative besides high cost that I have ever read about TFT displays is that as a computer monitor they can't track fast-moving gamer action quite as fast as a video display tube. If you plan on using your monitor for fast-moving gaming I would sample it in a store to confirm this (or look for reviews that say not to worry for the model you select).

I'm a perfectionist. I would go LCD! B)

Thank you for your input everyone. I think the LCD would be definitely a better choice, especially if I'm not looking for a large screen. As for playing games, that's not a concern. I don't think the wife would let me play computer games in the bedroom anyway, and as for the other games I don't think I would want to display them on a screen. ;)

Ray:

Been thinking about this as well, just a bit. I checked out an LCD screen at Best Buy the other day, and the one down-side was that it is more sensitive to angle than the plasma. As you move from the on-center viewing position, the picture falls of more quickly than w/plasma. Something to check out when you look at them in person. Aside from taht I really liked the LCD. Can't remember the brand right now...

Dana

Dana, Ray,

Sometime in the past year I read about Bio-Luminescent technology displays. They will appear on the market in a short number of years, and are based upon learnings from life on planet Earth. Because it gives off light BioLum will be like Plasma in that all viewing angles work well. And it will be very B) bright. LCD/TFT displays let light through from behind the TFTs and hence have historically had poor viewing angle performance, relatively speaking. As with any technology that has been around for a while, it improved in recent generations.

OK Dana, suppose you had the several thousand bucks ready to drop - which would you buy after your visit to Best Buy? Is the lost viewing angle that bad in LCD/TFT? Is the previously-mentioned graininess in Plasma that bad?

Cheers,

I'd have to caveat my response w/the following:

- Only looked at one LCD screen

- Haven't spent a ton of time inspecting plasma displays in a serious way (my purchase is likely four or more months away)

The angle issue is pretty important to me - I really hate picture quality drop-off when you move off center. I haven't (in my causual looking) noticed a general problem w/the plasma screens being too grainy. I have seen some (plasmas from differernt companies) next to each other and had definite favorites, but haven't found them generally to be a problem.

So right now, if you give me the money, I'd take plasma. If it's my money, I'd likely still take plasma, but maybe a slightly smaller screen than you'd buy for me. :-) The one issue on plasma that has scrared me a bit is longevity/reliability - I've heard that there may be some issues in that area.

Dana

Well, if it was for free, I would take either one.

If it was with my own money, I would definitely take the LCD version. The one I looked at was great at any angle and the brightness was perfect.

So Dana and think(box), my B-day's coming up! B)

Ray:

Do you remember which brand LCD you were looking at? On the one I looked at, if you stood centered on the screen and then began moving to either side the picture brightness fell pretty rapidly as the viewing angle increased. If there's an LCD that isn't as prone to that problem I'll be on that bandwagon as well.

No birthday, but I maybe I can make it an anniversary present to my wife? :-)

Dana

If you get one, you can always ship another one at my home!! :P

I perfer the LCD!!

I am sorry Bart, my bad. I shipped you a plasma version just the other day. :o

Please send it back as soon as you receive it and I'll ship you a LCD vesrion instead. :ph34r:

Ray :P

Ray:

Thanks for the link... The one I was looking at was bigger...maybe 45". (Don't take it personally that mine was bigger than yours.) :-)

I'll have to see what brand it was, but I don't remember it being a Sharp.

Dana

It's not relly the size that matters. It's the longevity. From all I've heard and read, LCD lasts longer than Plasma. :ph34r: