WnSoft Forums

quirk with file name

JRR

I discovered a quirk this afternoon when I created a autorun CD with the PTE .exe file named:

"ftpgsfront.ex"

(if you must know: short for "family tree pages front page" - a "front page" exe file from which three PTE shows run)

When the autorun kicked in, Internet Explorer started dialing my ISP. Seems it thought it had a "ftp" request. (File Transfer Protocol)

Not sure it was my computer or WinME or any Win OS.

Just thought I would pass it aloong in case someone else happens to name a file starting with the same three letters.

That's a good one Jim! Software certainly does quirky things at times. I tried to get my Win98SE system to do the same just now, but it didn't start the Internet connection. I've been using DSL for 2 years but disconnected it and enabled "Dialup when no network connection is present" as I used in the past. I confirmed that starting Internet Explorer 6 caused immediate dialup attempt, but the Autorun CD testing wouldn't do the same.

I tried "ftpgsfront.ex" - this ran properly under Autorun with .exe named this way & in Autorun.inf (no dialup)

I tried "ftpgsfront.exe" - this ran properly under Autorun with .exe named this way & in Autorun.inf (no dialup)

This is just a datapoint to add to a list of findings. I have a potential explanation of the problem that you may be able to confirm or disprove. I know that WinXP has "AutoPlay" in addition to "AutoRun". Does your WinME have both of those? If you put a simple data CD with MP3 or other media files on it in your CD drive does WinME automatically start up something like Windows Media Player to play MP3 even though the CD has no AutoRUN.inf file on it? It is AutoPlay, not AutoRun, that does this media file recognition in XP. If also in ME then maybe if you have the most recent Windows Media Player V9 an MP3, WAV, MPG, AVI or other media file that happens to be visible in the root of your CD may be AutoPlay-activating WMP. In WMP V9 there is a checkbox for "Connect to the Internet (overrides other settings)" that could cause it to start your dialup just as soon as media files are found on CD. I think Autorun and Autoplay can both activate. If WMP dialup could possibly be the cause, try disabling WMP Internet access in every way they give you and see if problem persists. FYI they check stuff on the Internet when you play music if you've enabled dialup through that or other checkboxes.

Good luck and please share findings....

Cheers,

Bill:

I have never updated my Windows Media Player since purchasing the computer in 2001 as I never use it. I seem to remember WMP kicking in the odd time with audio CDs, but rarely.

The only thing that continually seems to start on its own (other than "autorun" CD's I make) are audio CDs (that I am about record from) that MusicMatch Jukebox (a two year old version) kicks in with.

I only use MP3 (and wav) files in association with AV shows - both analog and digital. Other than that my computer is not a "music player".

Great Jim - We may have the culprit; and a SLOW SYS PERFORMANCE NOTE to forum members:

GENERAL FORUM SLOW SYSTEM PERFORMANCE NOTE! When I had MusicMatch V6 app active, but doing nothing, mouse response was very slow - the system was apparently doing some polling and/or other activity like CD drive monitoring. Nothing of significance shows in System Monitor displays, so you might not suspect MusicMatch, yet it was the cause. It looks like good advice to run that app only when you are using it, then shut it down.

Jim - I forgot that even my Win98SE system recognizes audio CDs and starts a player, so of course WinME will do it.

The only scenario I can see to explain the Internet attempt is that MusicMatch Jukebox sees your CD loading and tries to go out on the Internet. I hadn't run MusicMatch for quite some time but just did. I have MusicMatch Jukebox V6 (not Plus version though that shouldn't matter). There are two reasons why MusicMatch could be the app going out to the Internet. One is if you've checked the box to allow periodic checking for software update on the Internet. This is in Options->Settings "General" tab, "Permission to communicate with MusicMatch server", "Periodically check for updated versions of MusicMatch" checkbox. If you haven't updated in a while then anything that causes MusicMatch to start, like possibly loading your CD, could cause Internet access. The other is that if in the MusicMatch Options->Settings "CDDB/Connectivity" tab you've checked the box "Enable CDDB CD lookup service" then every time any CD is inserted and it remotely resembles a music CD of any sort, MusicMatch goes out looking for song info on the Internet, and needs to dial. Freely using Internet is the MusicMatch default - you have to stop it.

Does Internet access still happen with both of those boxes unchecked when you load show CD?

Also it looks like others who use dialup Internet will likely experience the same in some cases. With DSL or Cable the connection is always there, so users may not even know. One thing you could do to deal with this (and more) is use Firewall software, or enable more protection if you already have it. Any attempt by an app that you have not previously allowed to use the Internet will result in a warning about the offending app and request for your permission before dialup. Firewalls should be used on ANY Internet access machine, but can be a nuissance.

And - this may end up truly being a quirk about "ftp" in a filename as it originally appeared to be. I hope not.

Cheers,

JRR

This most likely the cause of using certain FILE NAMING CONVENTIONS that are "use restricted" within certain OS/Platfoms. I cant at the moment recall all the restricted letters /sequences that will cause these types of issues.

AUTORUN.INF uses RUN ... which is MS-DOS command executed ... If you type in ftp within your RUN tab within your Programs Start Menu .. it will probably try to open a DOS window and if your ISP has Auto Dial-Up settings ... it may also try to dial up that location you labeled.

Good one Stu!

Just "ftp" in Start->Run window on my Win98SE machine indeed starts a DOS window and runs FTP as one would expect. But when I put "ftpfubar" or "ftpfubar.exe" in the Start->Run window Internet Explorer starts with "FTP Folder Error" saying that it can't access that named folder. This could be the cause of what Jim found, a CD Autorun starting dialup for IE just because the name begins with "ftp". Thanks!

Cheers,