WnSoft Forums

Question about MS Media Player

I know this is not a PTE problem but it does fit considering how much our music ties into our slideshows... Iit's driving me nuts and I need to know...

On my main graphics computer, a 1 year old PC, Windows XP Home, 2gigs ram, mucho HD space and with no other programs working, when playing music, I will have a 3-5 second stutter when playing back from both CDs and mp3 songs on my HD. It is randomly doing this 1-3 times throughout any song I play.

The music doesn't do this on other machines. It seems that this has only begun within the past couple of weeks since I've been using this machine to capture and work with all my music, from simple editing to composing with loops. Never have I experienced a problem like this. It makes a person paranoid when putting a show together and previewing it only to have the music stutter at you.

I'm perplexed. Any suggestions?

larry

I can't tell you why media player does this, but I can give you a solution. Download Irfanview and plugins and change the association for mp3, etc., to Irfanview which has it's own player.

Best regards,

Lin

I know this is not a PTE problem but it does fit considering how much our music ties into our slideshows... Iit's driving me nuts and I need to know...

On my main graphics computer, a 1 year old PC, Windows XP Home, 2gigs ram, mucho HD space and with no other programs working, when playing music, I will have a 3-5 second stutter when playing back from both CDs and mp3 songs on my HD. It is randomly doing this 1-3 times throughout any song I play.

The music doesn't do this on other machines. It seems that this has only begun within the past couple of weeks since I've been using this machine to capture and work with all my music, from simple editing to composing with loops. Never have I experienced a problem like this. It makes a person paranoid when putting a show together and previewing it only to have the music stutter at you.

I'm perplexed. Any suggestions?

larry

Hi Larry

There is a good chance that your problems are caused by DRM (digital rights management). As a rule of thumb avoid any contact with media player. To play mp3's try VLC media player http://www.videolan.org/vlc/ and to capture from CD as mp3 use audiograbber http://www.audiograbber.com-us.net/ both are freeware and I can highly recommend both. Just to complete your divorce from media player try GOM Player http://www.gomplayer.com/main.html this plays all types of video files, again is freeware, and again highly recomended.

regards

Geoff

Well the 3 of you agree that I should dump MS media player, huh? Okay, I guess I can do that. I have to say that MS's player has been the only MS product I like.. I really will miss the familiarity. Oh well. Thanks for the leads on the frebee players.

Tom, I defrag once a week. I'm pretty anal on maintenance and cleanup. This just shouldn't happen. I also get 3-5 dropouts per 10 minute video capture in Premiere as well. That is a similar dysfunction as well. I sure hope I can let this go! I really hate mysteries of this nature.

larry

Larry, be very careful dis associating windows media player from some items.

i screwed up my ati graphics card settings one time and all the avi's of my grankids were gone that were formatted with the ati software - i had sound but no video -- once i got the ati straightened out then i got video back -- i very quickly made them into dvd's

i use musicmatch for my default mp3 player simply because of it's recognizable mp3 icon:)

ken

Larry do you have anti-virus on your video capture pc, this can cause dropped frames best to unplug or lock internet connection and dis-able AV while capturing video.

Ken not sure why you should have problems changing associations must admit I've never had any problems and I do a lot of video capture but then I don't have media player installed on any of my pc's.

regards

Geoff

Larry do you have anti-virus on your video capture pc, this can cause dropped frames best to unplug or lock internet connection and dis-able AV while capturing video.

Ken not sure why you should have problems changing associations must admit I've never had any problems and I do a lot of video capture but then I don't have media player installed on any of my pc's.

regards

Geoff

Geoff, the AVG protection didn't matter for playing mp3s. The problem still exists. I've stopped all activities on my machine, it still stutters. It even stutters in other players and editing programs. It's just something in this machine I guess. Oh, and I guess it could be the DVD/CD burner/player itself. I forgot to consider that, although everything I burn on it works fine when played elsewhere.

And Premiere is still dropping frames with anti-virus turned off. Lost cause I think! Gonna have to retire the machine from this activity I guess.

larry

Larry,

Before you give up on the pc completely, try reformatting the HD and re-installing Windows. It could be a virus that is causing the problems, and reformatting will get rid of it, (unless you add it back in when you reinstall your programs.)

Larry,

Before you give up on the pc completely, try reformatting the HD and re-installing Windows. It could be a virus that is causing the problems, and reformatting will get rid of it, (unless you add it back in when you reinstall your programs.)

You have the right idea, Al.. I just took it one step further.. Yesterday, I retired that HD and bought a new, bigger drive. Everything works fine now. It's faster, quieter and I have no problem at all with stuttering music. It's kind'a like washing your car.. Once it's all clean and sparkely, it seems to run better.

Oh, yes, I also scanned the old drive prior to retiring it. No viruses.

larry