WnSoft Forums

New "chapter" posted on Beechbrook

LumenLux

Here is the latest life-share chapter of some personal activity. As viewers have pointed out in previous installments, "these old guys could use the exercise". So, maybe someone can derive some motivation from this. Or at least maybe a moment of fun looking at a part of our wonderful world.

Download here via Beechbrook.com

This Morning #3 (Salt Lake City Overlook trail)

PHOTOGRAPHY/GRAPHICS (Out of 5)

3 - The purpose of the photography in this show is to record the hike. This means you don't have much choice in the lighting and pretty much have to work with what nature has brewed up for those few hours. In this case nature has brewed up an almost cloudless day with direct sunlight overhead - possibly the most uninspiring light to deal with, next to total flat overcast conditions. As a result the landscapes in this show don't really jump out at you and they almost form a subtle backdrop to the main subjects which are of course the people! The hikers have been captured well in their various states of exhaustion and relaxation and you get a nice feel for the comradship of the day. The key photo of backlit hikers that also features in panels and at the end is nice! And I do like the last sequence. For such a personal show it could easily become a little tedious for the viewer but you have mixed up people shots with cut away's of plants and scenery which balance it well and hold interest. Also the panelling down the side provides additional interest.

SOUNDTRACK (Out of 5)

4 - For this show I think the sound works well, its almost sympathetic in its beat to the footsteps of the hikers (we call them trampers in New Zealand :-) I think music is so important to presentations and its the thing I spend the most time sorting out. Once the soundtrack is in place its a lot easier to put the show together.

TIMING (Out of 5)

3 - While there is some obvious transitions timed to changes in the music I think there could have been a closer tie in with the soundtrack given it mimicks the plodding of the hikers. We consciously and unconsciously tune into the beat of music and when transitions occur outside that beat I think it generally feel a little out but you don't consciously put your finger on it.

PTE MASTERY (Out of 5)

4 - Appropriate for this show I think a good range of PTE techniques were used maybe some titling animations could polish it up a bit if that is what you are wanting to do. Maybe a couple of zoom outs or in good generate soom more interest.

WATCHABILITY - Couldn't finish / Watched Once / Would watch again / Would watch many times

OVERALL SCORE AND COMMENT (Out of 20)

14/20 - Good "record presentation" with nice feel for the emotions and comradship of those involved in the day, but not strong in a scenic photographic sense. Great choice of music and implementation of effects to create additional interest.

P.S. I'm going on a 6day photography road trip in a week and hope to make a show of that from an overview point of view so looking at your show has given me some things to think about - thankyou!! :-)

Cheers

Andrew

Thanks Andrew for the review. Now I get to review the review(er)?

You are right-on-the-money with your understanding of this sequence. You understand my purpose and the circumstances. I think you did not "reveal" anything to me, but it is helpful to have an outsider express observations. As some forum members, and often I, have expressed distrust for a "numbers" system - if it helps you, the reviewer, to formulate your assessments, so you can impart them to me, it is useful.

I suspect some viewers/readers might think, gee, ADB didn't even mention the terribly out-of-focus log-walking pix! But I think you didn't bother because you did understand nearly the whole situation very well. Most reviews won't purport to be comprehensive, but will bring out the points important to the reviewer. As the creator/producer, we then have the benefit of the review to be utilized as we desire.

Just a sidelight - I think of all my posted shows over time, this one may be the least deserving of a "review." In spite of that, I have already received nice e-mail comments from viewers who found it enjoyable to them. If one of my reasons for creating and posting a show is to simply "share", then those simple expressions of enjoyment are also very much appreciated. My main hope regarding your posted "system" is that it may encourage more comments and discussion of posted presentations. Thank you for nudging us in that direction.

You may be aware of my just-previous posted sequence: This Morning (#2). In many ways very similar to ThisMorning3, it would receive a rather different review from myself. If you are willing to review that one too, I think it would shed even more light on the functionality and value of your review formula.

Hi Lumenlux

Enjoyed your "review of the review" and comments made.

Yes I too have seen a few of your shows now and would agree that The Morning #3 probably the least representative of your work to date and I'm looking forward to making some comments on The Morning #2 which I'm about to post. One thing I have noticed in making a structured review of a show is that I tend to want to play it again to confirm my opinion about the show, in doing this I'm actually seeing things (generally good things) I missed in the first viewing.

I'm going to "score" your show but this will be the last time I do this on the forum and I'm only scoring to give the review relativity to my review of The Morning #3. In future I'll just review with comments under standard headings as the scoring thing appears to be a little controversial at the moment. Maybe us Kiwis are a little too competitive down here :-)