WnSoft Forums

A Belated Season's Greeting Slideshow

I love this program! This small show explores a couple very interesting but subtle effects. First, I want to thank TheDom for his very nice "Dusty Light" Photoshop action which is used in this show in a transition from relatively heavy snowfall to the cessation of snow and the sun rays peaking through the tree branches. Then an almost imperceptible and most subtle change from the overcast to full blown sun brightened snow just prior to the tempo change in the second music selection.

Enjoy two selections by the acoustic guitar flat-pick virtuoso Dan Crary who is one of the truly gifted artists whom I've had the pleasure of meeting and jamming with.

http://www.lin-evans.net/p2e/dec25.zip

Lin

Hi Lin

Thanks for posting this little gem, I sat there quite mesmorized last night watching your snow storm. Our local ski fields here are supposed to be opening in about 16 days, its currently 13 degrees Celcius outside and I can not see a speck of snow on any mountain around me! Maybe we could display your show on a huge LCD up the mountain to make the skiers feel better :-)

Cheers

Andrew

Hi, Lin,

The "subtle," as you say, effects create a most pleasant interlude, and your winter, wildlife shots are welcome additions. I am amazed at the sharp, closeup images of playful coyotes.

And thanks for introducing me to the gifted Dan Crary.

Best wishes,

David

Thanks Andrew,

It's too bad that the season is late in arriving, but perhaps in another week things might change! We had strange weather this year with an unseasonably long duration of cold during late December through January and February. We just missed a record with measurable snowfall on the ground for 60 days. Unlike the north eastern and northern U.S., we generally have heavy snows followed by a couple weeks of relatively warm and sunny weather which repeats all through the fall and winter, but this year was a bit different. I had seven foot snow drifts in my yard which were still melting off in March. We only had about 40 inches on the level, but the winds were brutal and drifts piled up and confined us to the house for several days while digging out the 4x4 truck. Even my tractor (seen in the video) was buried a couple days after this photo was taken on Christmas morning.

Let's hope things look better soon for your local ski resorts!

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin

Thanks for posting this little gem, I sat there quite mesmorized last night watching your snow storm. Our local ski fields here are supposed to be opening in about 16 days, its currently 13 degrees Celcius outside and I can not see a speck of snow on any mountain around me! Maybe we could display your show on a huge LCD up the mountain to make the skiers feel better :-)

Cheers

Andrew

Hi David,

I'm glad you enjoyed this. It's always fun trying new effects with PTE which has so many great capabilities!

Yes, the little coyotes (God's dogs) have been fun to photograph this year. We've had some issues in some of our suburban towns in the Denver area with people's "poodles" being snatched for tasty snacks so one town has begun trapping them (coyotes) using steel leg traps, a practice which should be outlawed in my opinion. Other than the cruelty which it imposes on the coyote, already several domestic dogs and cats have been trapped and have lost limbs. If people who live in these outlying areas had a lick of sense they would choose a breed of dog which is capable of taking care of themselves and leave the toy and mineature varieties for city folks. In our many years of rural ranch life we've never had any losses of livestock or pets to coyotes, cougars or bears, but our dogs are quite robust and routinely run fox and coyotes off the ranch.

It's fun observing the behavior of these smart and beautiful creatures. They are very much like domestic dogs with the exception of their vocalizations during the hunt. A couple of coyotes can sound like a dozen when they begin their early evening and night hunts. I suspect they tend to frighten and confuse their prey (mostly rabbits, at night) and sound like they are having a great time.

During the warmer parts of the day they sleep and in early evening and early morning they are out after their primary source of food which are voles, ground squirrels and mice. They have developed some serious skills at pouncing on unsuspecting voles and ground squirrels. They often jump straight up into the air and come down face first right on top of their prey. I think they have found that the prey frequently "freezes," not knowing which way to run when approched in this manner. Just a split second of hesitation and they become a quick meal.

snack.jpg

Lin

Hi, Lin,

The "subtle," as you say, effects create a most pleasant interlude, and your winter, wildlife shots are welcome additions. I am amazed at the sharp, closeup images of playful coyotes.

And thanks for introducing me to the gifted Dan Crary.

Best wishes,

David