WnSoft Forums

PTE 5 and HD Tutorial

potwnc

To: The DOM

I wanted to send you a private message, but I got an error message: "Your inbox is full".

So, here it is:

I went to your web site to check on some P2E tutorials, and on this page:

http://www.thedom.fr/share/dload.php?actio...097a370b2afbdcc

I think some one is playing tricks on you! Please clean it up, or you may receive some bad comments!

Peter

PS: This is a friendly message, from one P2E user to another ^_^

I have just uploaded an updated/expanded version.

I will be on vacation for the next 2 weeks. Hopefully there'll be some more feedback by then.

Ray

Ray they are both dated the same jun 26th,and 3 pages each

ken

Oops! Now the new one is there.

Thanks

Ray

I have just uploaded an updated/expanded version.

I will be on vacation for the next 2 weeks. Hopefully there'll be some more feedback by then.

Ray

Ray

Oops! Now the new one is there.

Hi Ray

I was delighted to read your "Draft" tutorial, however I seem to be having a problem downloading your updated / extended latest version from the above link in post #22.

Is there a new link ?

The original link has now been restored.

Hi Ray

Copy & Paste new link into URL location - does the trick

Enjoy your vacation.

Thank you.

I am new to this forum, but for years I have been making photo slides (just a hobby). I have read your tutorial - a lot of useful information. I just would like to describe here my experience for your comments.

After evaluating many software packages on the market I finally "settled down" on ProShow Gold that in my experience gave me the best quality videos with hardly any noticeable flickering of horizontal and vertical lines during Ken Burns affects. In another forum I have learned about PTE 5 from Lin (I noticed he is also a member of this forum). I downloaded the trial version (limited to 10 pictures) and played with it for a few days. No question in my mind, PTE exe file gives the best quality of pictures, but DVDs' I made have been comparable (in some cases even worse then those made by PS Gold).

This is what I have tried to get HD files.

I was looking at the small file (36kb) that is created by PTE when you click on HD1080 as a frame server to compatible software. E.g. I was able to open this file in Windows Media Player 9, playing the whole video with the quality about the same like the exe file (if you do not have a fast enough computer it will not be smooth). I also imported this file into my video editor (Vegas 6), and then save it as one of the m2t HD file (1080, or 720 i, p and various rates with various sizes like 1920x1080, 1440x1080 and some smaller - I believe m2t file is generated by some Sony HD camcorders and it serves basically as a transfer media for mpg2 files). The file I created was about twice the size of of the exe file, and can be played by Windows Media player 9, or by VLC player and the video is quality wise about the same like the exe file. I copied it to my MacBook Pro, and using VLC player played it on my 46" flat LCD TV (connected through HDMI) - it looked great (not as good as HD broadcasting). The size of the m2t file can be further reduced to about half of the size of the exe with hardly any quality reduction by encoding it with Windows Media Encoder 9 to HD wmv file. The advantage of using Vegas editor is that you use can use various software filters (e.g. sharpening), and also great codecs that came with the software. I do not have Ulead, or Adobe video editor software, but I believe that they might work, too. I also tried to burn DVD using m2t files (those that were sharpened in Vegas gave slightly better quality DVD files).

I also experimented by importing the small, 36kb, file to VirtualDub. Results were similar to those you could achieve with PTE alone, but VirtualDub has filters available that can be used to improve the quality of the video ( the latest version of ffdshow has some great codecs, but I believe that if properly installed these codecs are also available in PTE)).

I have not read all contributions on this forum, and it is quite possible that what I described here is common knowledge - in that case I am sorry for wasting your time. But maybe some of you will find it useful.

The question is, of course, what to do with HD files. HD DVD burners are not yet commonly available so all the above might be just an exercise of futility. Rick Young described creation of HD DVD using 4.7GB DVD-R (http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/hd_dvds_on_sd_dvds_young.html). Unfortunately, I do not have the appropriate MAC software to try to reproduce his work, and have been struggling for some time to use his approach to make HD DVD using PC software - no luck so-far.

• 4 weeks later...

I just read this... it's too early to know what's real and what's speculation at this point, but I will follow it, research it and update the tutorial as necessary. Anyway, those interested in Blu-ray technology may want to read the thread at:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=880994

• 4 weeks later...

I just updated the tutorial. I think this is the last update I will post at the original link. I'm working with Lin & Jeff to add it to the "user guide."

And it's great to see Igor back too!!!

• 3 weeks later...

The HD tutorial is now part of Lin and Jeff's PTE User Guide. Future updates will be in that document only.