WnSoft Forums

Importing AVI or Flash (SWF) files

PeterPan

I know about "exporting" P2E to AVI file, but I really want to do the opposite: Importing AVI or SWF files into a P2E project.

Is that feasible?

I mainly take digital pictures, but once in a while -- my little digital camera can take 320x240 video files which are AVI files (and can be transfered to SWF) -- I would like to show some short video clip inside a slide presentation.

So, is that a feature available with P2E at the present stage, or is it something planned in the future, or should I forget it totally <_<

Thanks for any answer on this!

Peter

Hi Peter,

Right now that's not an option with PTE. Perhaps in the future. It is possible, however to use the "product" of an AVI or SWF file by using a decompiler (inexpensive) to break down the AVI or Flash movie into it's individual frames then run them as individual files rapidly sequenced. Of course you can't apply zooms or other animations to these stills as a group but the effect is that they can be run in such a way as to be indistinguishable from an AVI or Flash show but they can't occupy only a window of a frame or run as a portion of a slide.

You can also run external code with PTE so it's quite possible to use a slide to call a program loaded with an AVI or SWF file. Years ago I used to use IrfanView to run movies via PTE. You wil have to look at the individual software being used to play the movie to see how this is accomplished with a single "call". Usually it's done via a command line "switch".

Best regards,

Lin

I know about "exporting" P2E to AVI file, but I really want to do the opposite: Importing AVI or SWF files into a P2E project.

Is that feasible?

I mainly take digital pictures, but once in a while -- my little digital camera can take 320x240 video files which are AVI files (and can be transfered to SWF) -- I would like to show some short video clip inside a slide presentation.

So, is that a feature available with P2E at the present stage, or is it something planned in the future, or should I forget it totally <_<

Thanks for any answer on this!

Peter

Peter,

A few years ago, Boxig, one of our Forum members, developed a system for adding a Flash movie to the front of a PTE show. It's called "FlashMe3", and can be downloaded from his website:

http://www.thailandphotoalbum.com/ .

It takes a while to figure out, but works quite well.

Think this is an area where Proshow unfortunately has the edge on PTE.

I have tried using movies in Powerpoint which do work well but then I miss the features of PTE

If there was a way to package a movie into an EXE file this could be called from PTE using run external file

P

Think this is an area where Proshow unfortunately has the edge on PTE.

I have tried using movies in Powerpoint which do work well but then I miss the features of PTE

If there was a way to package a movie into an EXE file this could be called from PTE using run external file

Pete,

That's fortunate for Proshow - each program has at least one are where it does something different and/or better than the competition - that's the nature of software, and anything else, for that matter. ;)

I have successfully called an AVI file using the "external file" feature in PTE. If your file system is set up to recognize AVI files and assign a player program, then it should work quite well. - the only drawback is that there is no way to close the AVI file from within PTE, but in some situations this may not be a problem. In my case, I was quite content to manually close it, and get on with the program.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all your answers.

I'm glad to know that it can be done, albeit with a little trickery!

But since I don't know how to import AVI or use External Command, is there a quick tutorial or help somewhere which could tell me how to do it?

Thanks again! <_<

Peter,

Check "Customize Slide / Run external application", then browse for the "AVI" file, or type in the file name. You can also create a button in "O&A" (or Object Editor in version 4.48) and "program" it in "properties" to open an external file (i.e. your AVI file).

You should check first to see whether you have a player assigned to play "AVI" files. (just double click on an AVI file in Windows Explorer, and see if it opens).

Peter

I have successfully converted an .avl file with a video decompiler were each frame is created into an individual slide. I then ran these as part of my normal slideshow, with a timing per slide of 35-45 msec and with no effects and zero transition timing. I did have some problems with some BETA versions of PTE 5.0 but know that the pre-release version is available I don't have any problems. There is nothing complicated about it, just treat as a normal slide, works like a dream.

Hello Mike,

That's an interesting idea, but it must be quite time consuming!

Let's take a 30-sec. AVI file at 18 frame/sec, this amount to 540 individual images... wheew! and then you have to make sure they all synchronize with the rest of your slides, and the music, and so forth.... wow!

Is it the way you do it? Or maybe I didn't quite understand the process. Could you explain further?

Much thanks!

Peter

Peter

It can be done this way most effectively.

I use Free Video Studio Decompiler to split an avi into single jpg frames and then input into PTE as Mike has said. The difference between this and 'real' video is almost unoticeable if you get the timings right.

Yes it does produce rather a lot of slides to manipulate ( thank goodness for batch processing!) - the last show I used this technique produced over 2,500 individual slides with a correspondingly large .exe file size !

Until video clips can be routinely added to a PTE project this seems the simplest way to do it.

Google for the software and give it a try.

DEN (NE UK)

Thanks Den!

I checked (and downloaded) Free Video Decompiler, but I had to stop the installation. The reason is that the software install wanted me to add a link (and toolbar) for a advertisement (marketing) software called Paneo (or Pandeo). And I HATE install that does that :angry: After a while your computer slows down, and you don't know why. Well the intention was there, but I will try to find a similar product with "no-strings-attached" :)

Hi Peter,

This is the one I use:

http://www.onestopsoft.com/

Click on the "video decompiler" link. It's not "free" but it's very inexpensive and works great....

Lin

Thanks Den!

I checked (and downloaded) Free Video Decompiler, but I had to stop the installation. The reason is that the software install wanted me to add a link (and toolbar) for a advertisement (marketing) software called Paneo (or Pandeo). And I HATE install that does that :angry: After a while your computer slows down, and you don't know why. Well the intention was there, but I will try to find a similar product with "no-strings-attached" :)