WnSoft Forums

Organizing and searching +1000 Photos

PeterPan

Hi,

I am looking for a software that would enable me to classify, organize, and search my 1000s pictures.... Freeware if possible <_<

I want to be able to assign categories and keywords, and organize my pictures into themes.

Does such a tool exists?

Thanks!

You might try the freeware "Picasa" from Google. It's very powerful and does what you are asking.

http://www.picasa-2007.net/download.php?lang=US

Lin

Hi,

I am looking for a software that would enable me to classify, organize, and search my 1000s pictures.... Freeware if possible <_<

I want to be able to assign categories and keywords, and organize my pictures into themes.

Does such a tool exists?

Thanks!

Hi Peter,

To use your own words...."to classify, organize, and search my 1000s pictures".....I guess your request is somewhat a shot in the dark because as you know Programs can't think for themselves so they cant 'auto-classify' nor 'auto-assign' excepting in the 1st instance that you "assigned" a unique identifier to the contents of a your SD-Photo Card (your Camera Card) and even after that you will have to physically sort all Images into Libraries of your own creation.

However, below is a 'link' to a (free-ware) Gallery Creator Program which we found to be quite intelligent as it uses Sun-Java Script and .Net Framework both free utilities available on the Web.

Link:- http://www.through-the-lens.net

Screenshot below.

Brian.Conflow.

post-1416-1182189165_thumb.jpg

Thank you all!

I'll check your suggestions.

@Brian: Naturally I wasn't looking for something that would do the job for me, as I know such a tool has not been invented yet ^_^

Sure, I would have to enter manually the categories "I" want, but I want something powerful enough to locate any pictures I had put keywords on.

Peter

PS: At the moment, I'm using Fastone Image Viewer (www.faststone.org). One of the best photo freeware I know of, but it lacks an essential tool: a searchable database. That one is free and fantastic whenever I want to build slideshows!

Hi Peter,

The comment I made was not directed at yourself personally, my words....because as you know Programs can't think for themselves ..

It's surprising the amount of people that actually believe that such a Library Maker exists ~

It was my intention to let people know that...it doesn't exist !

I personally have reviewed in excess of +60 such Programs looking for the same Tools you require and the one that got nearest to the target is "Gallery Creator" as I have previously mentioned, plus the reason's why.

It can also generate "Keyword" selectivity such as you require.

I attach another 'Screenshot' which describes the Program Features ~ you will see that these are very impressive indeed ~ and way beyond the capabilities of others mentioned so far.

Brian.Conflow.

post-1416-1182211809_thumb.jpg

PeterPan

I spent some time looking for and testing the same tool you are trying to find.

My conclusions were that Gallery Creator was the best freeware available, as mentioned in an earlier post, closely followed by Picasa.

I found Picasa a little slow in some of its functions when the number of images that require processing becomes large.

The best tool of all and the one I am now using is the Bridge with Photoshop CS3. However this is defiantly not freeware.

I was lucky enough to have bought RawShooter in its early days and this entitled me to a free copy of Adobe Lightroom. This is a very powerful tool for organising very large numbers of images. Key words can be added to images as they are loaded from a memory card or other folder and all images can be renamed at the same time.

Lightroom can also perform many (but not yet all!) of the tasks that I previously used Photoshop for and it is only 1/4 of the price. If you haven't seen it yet it is worth a look. A 30 day trial is available http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshoplightroom/

Kind Regards

Peter