WnSoft Forums

Minimum Image Size and format

loftphoto

Can anyone tell me the minimum image size (in pixels) and resolution for producing full screen (or nearly full screen) high quality images? I'm using these images in a photo gallery. I've run all sorts of trial and error tests with varying results. Is there some kind of standard number that you've found works best?

Helloloftphoto,

I suggest you have a look at this thread:

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index....ost&p=31744

It should help you to understand the issues involved.

Basically size your images to match the screen resolution you are using but ... if you expect to show them on a lower resolution monitor it may be best to use the lower resolution. 1024 x 768 is popular.

Kind Regards

Peter

Helloloftphoto,

I suggest you have a look at this thread:

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index....ost&p=31744

It should help you to understand the issues involved.

Basically size your images to match the screen resolution you are using but ... if you expect to show them on a lower resolution monitor it may be best to use the lower resolution. 1024 x 768 is popular.

Kind Regards

Peter

Thanks for the reply. I was sure this question had been answered to death somewhere but I had no luck in my search for it.

Thanks for the reply. I was sure this question had been answered to death somewhere but I had no luck in my search for it.

(Use Full Screen)

Loftphoto,

"No it hasn't been answered to death"....There have been many discussions on the topic, but no final concensus

of opinions because each and everyone has their own opinion depending on their ultimate usage of the Images.

But one thing is certain, there are Technical Standards -and- constraints associated with those, for example:-

1)

Images for 'Web Usage' are limited to 800x600 pixels maximum size, but the regular size rarely exceeds some

600x400 pixels, this all due to Server Bandwidth & Storage limitations. A good quality Jpeg of 800x600 will blow

up to 1024x768 pixels without too much loss, but then one must consider the Screen size of smaller Laptops and

Portables where 1024x768 may be beyond their limited resolution, so 800x600 is the norm for those.

2)

We also must consider Monitor performance...Low cost Monitors provide nothing in the way of "Quality Adjustments"

so even if you have an excellent Graphics Card you are wasting your time if the Monitor is fixed at 24.Bit Colour.

The inverse of that, is where someone has an excellent 32.Bit Monitor but a 24.Bit Card !

3)

Monitor size is also important, the usual 15"~17" CRT.Monitor is quite happy working at 1024x768 pixels and you

will find that the vast majority of these will not offer any higher resolution. Above 17" Monitor size you are

into the (Flat-Screen) Semi-Pro and Professional Monitors for serious Graphic usage. These things have it all.

Recently we have a proliferation of LCD Monitors to add to the confusion. There are 3 different Technologies

available in LCD's each with thier own "pros & cons" ~ too complex to go into it here.

4)

If you are just starting into this pursuit, the generally accepted resolution is 1024x768.pixel using good quality

JPegs and where the old Gif.Graphic Format is now being replaced with the more modern PNG Format.

Hope this has been of some help, but do get some experience under your belt before you start spending money...

Brian.Conflow.