WnSoft Forums

DVD show has blackborders on 4:3 TV

cjdnzl

Just burned my first DVD, and very pleased with result, except that the screen image is smaller than the TV screen, with about a 2-inch black border all round the image.

I looked at whether I could increase the image size, but it seems to be fixed at 576x400-something pixels, and I can't see a way to increase the size.

The show was saved to an ISO file and then burned to disk with ImgBurn. Any help would be appreciated.

Colin

try changing aspect ratio on dvd player

is nz pal or ntsc

were you set on the right one in vb

according to

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTSC

nz is pal

according to my data pal is 768/576

try making the dvd folders option - and let vb do it's thing and see what happens

ken

Thanks for the reply Ken, to answer your queries: NZ is PAL, and I used to be a TV tech in a past life, so no problems there. VB states that PAL is 720x576, and it appears to be fixed in VB, as I could not seem alter it.

I notice that the intro screen before you click or press 'play' is full screen on the TV - actually the intro title is a bit wide, and the last character is cut in half, but as soon as the show starts, the slides are smaller than the screen, and this is so on two different DVD players and TVs.

Has anyone else seen this, and what was the answer?

Colin

Colin,

VB states that PAL is 720x576, and it appears to be fixed in VB, as I could not seem alter it.

PAL DV & D1 4:3 - 720x576 is the Industry Standard -Video Frame Size. (non-square pixel size)

What size are your actual image files ?

Try sizing your images for PAL at 768x576 for 4:3 or 1024x576 for 16:9 (square pixel size)

Read this link :

Optimum File Size for DVD - WnSoft Forums

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6965

Colin,

PAL DV & D1 4:3 - 720x576 is the Industry Standard -Video Frame Size. (non-square pixel size)

What size are your actual image files ?

Try sizing your images for PAL at 768x576 for 4:3 or 1024x576 for 16:9 (square pixel size)

Read this link :

Optimum File Size for DVD - WnSoft Forums

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6965

Ok, thanks for the reply, NBS. All my images for PTE are sized to 1024x768 (unless I intend to zoom), which is the screen res on my main machine monitor, fits the XVGA projector we use, and also is a reasonable fit to my wide-screen laptop at 1280x800.

1024:768 is the same ratio as 720:576 which is the PAL 4:3 standard, as you say. I would have thought that VB would scale the images exactly to 720x576, which in turn would fit a TV as does a broadcast program, or a commercial DVD.

I tried altering the % main screen size in Project Options, but all that would do is to make the images in preview and exe files smaller. It doesn't go past 100%, so no option exists there for making an image bigger. I don't think that adjustment is relevant to DVDs anyway.

I just had an idea. I went to PTE and made an iso file of a short show, and then ran it in Windows Media Player. Right-clicking on several of the images as they appeared onscreen and checking 'Properties' showed that all images were exactly 720x576, so that rules out any problems with VB.

So, why do two separate DVD/TV combinations show black edges round the images? Beats me at this stage.

Colin.

Colin,

I tried altering the % main screen size in Project Options, but all that would do is to make the images in preview and exe files smaller. It doesn't go past 100%, so no option exists there for making an image bigger.

Open up the O&A (Objects & Animation) window and see the tab Common-Mode setting you may be using (Original, Fit to Slide, Cover Slide - dropdown settings). Experiment to learn the differences the modes will display. The settings however are slide specific and do not affect your other slides. PTEs default for all slides is Fit to Slide . If you have selected the Project Options/Screen -Advanced Options checkbox Disable Scaling of Images ... all images will maintain their Original Size unless you override them in the O&A Mode setting.

You can size/position any picture to your preference ... just drag the image handles. Use to Tools button in the O&A to verify/view the TV Safe Zone.

Colin,

Open up the O&A (Objects & Animation) window and see the tab Common-Mode setting you may be using (Original, Fit to Slide, Cover Slide - dropdown settings). Experiment to learn the differences the modes will display. The settings however are slide specific and do not affect your other slides. PTEs default for all slides is Fit to Slide . If you have selected the Project Options/Screen -Advanced Options checkbox Disable Scaling of Images ... all images will maintain their Original Size unless you override them in the O&A Mode setting.

You can size/position any picture to your preference ... just drag the image handles. Use to Tools button in the O&A to verify/view the TV Safe Zone.

Ok, panic's off, problem solved. I rechecked the Project Options box, and found that the aspect ratio was set for 16:10 and not 4:3 - I hadn't even noticed the aspect ratio selector before! Then, I played with the % size and found that 93% was about right when using the safe area in O&A. The last problem was that the position of the comment line did not move when resizing to 93%, so the comment line was outside the safe area. Then I discovered by accident that clicking on the comment showed the text box and allowed me to move the text upwards into the picture area. Further, like Photoshop and other programs, holding Shift when moving the text forces the line to move vertically without any side movement, thereby maintaining accurate centering. Marvellous.

Colin