WnSoft Forums

Music editing

HilaryTempleton

I am new to PTE and would like help regarding music editing.

Can I move a piece of music around in PTE (without having to go back to my sound software)?

Let me give you two examples:

1. I have a single piece of music which I have imported to PTE, but I do not want it to start until the 3rd slide ie I want silence for a few seconds. Can I do that in PTE?

2. I have several pieces of music imported to PTE and want silence between the pieces - can I do that in PTE?

Lastly can one configurate PTE so that one can go directly into my audio and photo editing software?

Thanks.

Hilary

Hilary,

Welcome to the Forum

If you disable the default "synchronize" mode, you can start music at a particular slide by adding it to "Customize slide / music" for that slide. However, if you want to use "synch" mode, you will either have to edit your sound separately to add the appropriate amount of silence to the beginning, or else create a small mp3 file of the amount of silence required and add that in Project Options before the main music mp3's.

For a key-stroke shortcut to edit a slide in your favourite editor, highlight the slide in the slide list and press "Ctl-w". It will open in whatever program you have designated as the default viewer for that type of image. I'm not aware of a similar shortcut for editing the sound.

Hi Al

In the main menu bar under View - Advanced Options there is an item "Path and name off sound editor". I thought this may be the answer but I cannot discover what it does if anything. I tried changing it to Adobe Audition but it seems to have reverted to sndrec.32 all by itself.

Any ideas? I thought I remembered Igor mentioning an intention to add a facility for sound similar to Ctrl W but cannot find anything by searching the forum.

Kind Regards

Peter

Hi, Peter,

I don't recall any mention of a keyboard shortcut for sound editing. That is an interesting menu option that you pointed out. Looks like it may be there for future use as a shortcut. On my system the program seems to remember the "Audition" setting. Haven't tried opening PTE again after rebooting the pc, though.

Hi Guys,

Our new User Guide will be out very soon with (hopefully) all the answers to questions like this. The Path and Name of Sound Editor allows you to enter the location and name of your favourite sound editor. This feature only works if you have added a sound file to an individual slide.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Many thanks. Still loads of new things to learn and old things to relearn. Can't wait to get it all in one place and I can only admire how much effort you and Lin must have been putting into the User Guide. I have masses of information but I am afraid it is not that well structured and sometimes it takes an age to find some forgotten gem.

I am sure many others are waiting as keenly as I am for your publication day.

Kind Regards

Peter

sndrec.32

Hi Guys,

I don't know if I am stating the obvious ~ but for those who don't know ~ sndrec.32 is the generic (inbuilt) Sound Recorder embedded in all Microsoft Op.Systems. Available throught Start-->Programs-->Accessories-->Entertainment.

It has a few unique facilities like Echo/Reverb, it usually copes with most 'sound-input' formats, regretably it only 'Records' for 1 minute. Hope this is of some use...

Brian.Conflow.

I am new to PTE and would like help regarding music editing.

Can I move a piece of music around in PTE (without having to go back to my sound software)?

Hilary, Igor has indicated adding some sound editing functions to PTE in the near future. See:

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6806

1. I have a single piece of music which I have imported to PTE, but I do not want it to start until the 3rd slide ie I want silence for a few seconds. Can I do that in PTE?

If you know the time from the start of the show to when you wish the music to start you could add silence to the music file for that length of time in a sound editor.

2. I have several pieces of music imported to PTE and want silence between the pieces - can I do that in PTE?

Again for now this is best done in a sound editor and make one soundtrack.

Try Audacity it's free, easy to use and can be downloaded from here:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Lastly can one configurate PTE so that one can go directly into my audio and photo editing software?

I've tried the "View>Advanced Options>Path and name of Sound Editor" function but can't make it work.

In the History.txt

PicturesToExe v3.51 (March 18th, 2001)

+ Added ability to call external editor for sound comment of slide:

> Select necessary slide (in the image list), click

right mouse button for popup menu and select <Edit sound comment>;

> To change external editor go to Main menu | Options and click

<File name of sound editor>;