WnSoft Forums

Nero

fitzner3

B) Really have a time of it!!

Where I work part time I wanted to put a better cd buring software on the windows 95 computer.

First I tried Roxio CD Platinum but I kept getting a message saysing:

Engine initialization has failed and exception in createlnstance of creator

I can't get Roxio to answer emails so I uninstalled and installed Nero but I got a message saying:

Need newer version of the file: conctl32.dll so I went to annoyances.org and made a plea for help and got a reply real soon and pointed me to this site:

http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-file....shtml?comctl32

I got my replacement dll file ( the upgrade) It was in the form of a compressed zip file and the computer I use a work I will have to install winzip in order to insert the file in the windows sys. directory

AND THIS IS MY QUESTION TO ANYONE WHO CAN HELP ME IN THIS

where is the Windows sys directory?

go to windows exployer then what?

Harry

AND THIS IS MY QUESTION TO ANYONE WHO CAN HELP ME IN THIS

where is the Windows sys directory?

go to windows exployer then what?

Harry

Harry..

First of all...you do not have to yell or get upset! B)

Go to your windows directory and you will find several sub directories

In your case....Under Win98 it should be under system

That is where you need to unzip comctl32.dll to!

Under WinXp it should be under system32

It is very simple..it might asked for you to overwrite comctl32.dll, if so overwrite it, but

I would rename the old one first just in case you have a conflict with the newer version!

If you need more help on this, I will help you or others will help you also!

About Nero..I have been using it since day one and I am pleased with their constant updating

to make it one of the best or the best CD burning software!

(This is my opinion, while others have theirs)

Good Luck,

Bart

Harry

[What version of NERO are you trying to install and what is the PC class/size ?

Nero Version 5.5 requires min W98 and a P2 class PC.]

OPPS !!

Sorry about the mis information in above info. I had given requirements for a recent installed CDRW Burner and its min OS and not its burning software requirements.

Nero 5.5 is compatable with W95 and lower classes of PCs.

Harry

A helpful Note :

Doing as Bart suggests is a very safe way to have a backup if need arises :

It is very simple..it might asked for you to overwrite comctl32.dll, if so overwrite it, but

I would rename the old one first just in case you have a conflict with the newer version!

But in additon ... alot cases of replacing/changing SYS FILES ... you need to BOOT your PC into SAFE MODE to do the file change/upgrade.

:D I made an error in my information to you.

The dll is: comctl32.dll and not "n"

And thans for assistance even though this is not a P2E problem.

By the way:

How do I get into save mode to make the upgrade? And how do I get back into normal mode.

When I rename the old dll could I rename it like this:

comctl32a.dll

I do this sort of renaming on photos and music all the time.

Harry

My sys at work is a windows 95 PII 80 gig HD

Does Nero have a CD Direct like Roxio where you can put pictures, music etc on a cd-r and when about full you can convert the CD so that it can be read on a regular CD ROM. If Nero does what do they call it?

I am using the Nero 5 and it also has the express application also. Easy to operate "Even a fool or ediot" can use it!!!!!!!!

Harry B)

Harry,

1-To BOOT into SAFE MODE ... When you initially click on your PC power button to start your PC ... hold down (press) your keyboards F8 key.

2-This will boot your PC into a (dos mode) Startup Window.

It offers a few choices to Boot your PC ... select SAFE MODE ( use your keyboards ARROW keys to highlight/select the SAFE MODE action)

3-Then press your ENTER key

(Your screen will now be running in a 16 color mode ... but this is normal for SAFE MODE)

4- Find the Comctl32.dll file thats in your Windows \ Sys Folder using your FIND FILES (window tool)

5-Rename that file to whatever you want ... just remember what it is the old one though (Comctl32a.dll is fine)

6- Now unzip your newer version Comctl32.dll package to folder/location/wherever you want. (Desktop is fine)

7- Now copy that new Comctl32.dll to the same location(Windows\Sys folder) as your renamed backup file (Comctl32a.dll)

8- OK your done!

9- Click Start Menu/Shutdown and restart your PC as you normallly do.

Harry

NERO has "InCD" which is much like EasyCD "DirectCopy"

This is a UDF file format.

NERO will only format CDRW Discs into this UDF file format.Whereas, EascyCD will format both CDR and CDRW Discs into the UDF file format.

heard that if you have easycd's directcd installed

DO NOT INSTALL NERO'S INCD

just repeating what a tech told me

maybe somebody else can quantify the statement

messin with cd writing programs is a very upsetting chore :(

ken

Ken,

You are exactly correct. Lots of files/registry entries are left behind even after using the uninstall feature. Their usually becomes quite a number of errors possible if the mix of the two programs/version files remain.

Most of these files reside in the PROGRAMS\COMMON FILES folder and in the WINDOWS\SYSTEM\IOSUBSYS folder. All traces of that particular programs version files must be removed or replaced. NOTE: you can not just remove any ole file in these locations ...as other critical contents also reside in these locations.

:huh: On my computer at home I have both Nero and Easy CD Creator Platinum. I went to programs folder and opened it and into the common files folder and only found just Easy CD Creator elements only.

Is there a problem, you think, with having both software programs on the computer or will the conflict in some way?

I could not find when I went to Windows and then clicked systems and looked for IOSUBSYS

But anyway the work computer now since I took off Easy CD Creator Pre will not let me use any CD Direct CD's which has the files for the dll and set up for win zip so I will have to convert the direct cd to play in the F drive the CD Player.

Let me tell you briefly what I do at this Part time job;

I video tape classes then capture them into the 80 gig GD use Premier to edit split the class into two halves to save on two CD's.

I thought I would take off the old ancient cd software and replace with Easy CD Creator, first choice, but had problems with error messages and now with Nero, 2nd choice.

I just hope that Nero works and alows me to make avi cd's. If not I am out of luck. I do not have the old software as it was donated and the donar can not be found!!

Harry :(

Harry,

If you have read correctly ... that topic mainly concerns with NEROs "InCD" . InCD is a add-on program of NERO ... it has its own installation exe which is separate from the NERO main installation program. Only if you install the "InCD" add-on will you see its own version files.

As for the IOSUBSYS folder ... Im not sure where it resides within W95 OS ... as its been quite some time for my working with that OS. The file types that mainly reside in that folder are of .VXD extention ... of which carry the name/version of the type of udf reader/burner program installled. Some times the versions become mixed if both EasyCd and NERO have been installled/removed. Then its sort and clean up time -- use careful judgement here if you attemp. NOTE: Ive even seen at times various version #s/.vxd of EasyCD residing within the sys ... this sometimes times happens during installation of major version upgrades/updates ( let say from ver 4 to ver 5 where EasyCD is vastly different .. thus the mix of ver #s can create various program errors to users)

:huh: Not so good news!!

I had no problem getting into save mode and went to change the name of the COMCTL32.DLL file and the win95 would not let me do this.

The message said:

cannot rename file being used by windows

I could not even delete the dang file because "it was being used by windows"

So, It's like I always say when I run into difficulities like this, "unless I have someone with me side by side and If I just donot understand it I just leave it alone.

I am going to go back to Roxio Basic 5 but I am going into their Forum and as some questions as to what these messages mean:

Creator API eNGINE INIALIZATION HAS FAILED

EXCEPTION IN CREATELNSTANCE OF CREATOR

HARRY :(

Harry, if you have a win98 disk or xp

you should be able to extract and replace the file from the the disc to your win 95 system -- only thing -- i cant give the correct procedure

you will have to search the MS site for the procedure

here is one i got using google with search words

"extract from ms cab files" without the quotes

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...&NoWebContent=1

the google results at

http://www.google.ca/search?q=extract+from...le+Search&meta=

ken

Guest guru

Harry,

since you cannot rename your comctl32.dll "being used by windows", as the message says, well, DON'T use Windows!

Start your machine as Nobeefstu said (F8, Dos mode), but remain in DOS (C:\> prompt).

Now write cd windows, then press Enter.

The prompt is now C:\WINDOWS.

Write cd system and press Enter again.

Now you are in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM.

OK?

To rename your damn comctl32.dll, you must write this string:

ren comctl32.dll comctl32.aaa (NOT comctl32a, because this name is 9 characters long, and exceeds the 8+3 Dos format). Press Enter and reboot.

After restarting your computer normally (Win mode) you'll no more find comctl32.dll, but comctl32.aaa.

Hope this can help!

:( Well I had someone come over to the church to look at the old win95 and the concenses was that I need to upgrade to win98se.

The dll file that needed to be replaced Roxio said that was a missing file from the win95 computer.

Well the win95 does have 80 gig, 350 + mega hrtz so I suppose it could use an upgrade.

My son just so happens to have the upgrade.

A computer shop said that as long as you have a windows system operating on my computer I could upgrade to the 98se and I should not loose any other programs.

Harry

:)

Well guys this is what I finally did with the win95. My son happened to have a win98 second edition but lost the origional cd sleeve. So I called Microsoft and they without charge gave me some numbers to register it and now I have a 98se on at work. Also, I have Roxio 5 Platinum and all seems to be working well.

Harry