WnSoft Forums

First Slideshow for the forum

dpeterso

I've just finished another slideshow that perhaps you'll enjoy. It was done with PTE-5 and you can find it at this link: "The Flinthills". It's 23Mb

Hello Dave

I am french and writting in english is not so easy so I will use Andrews (ADB) "scale"

PHOTOGRAPHY/GRAPHICS

Some very good shots (subject, composition, theme) but overall too dark and too saturated/contrasted.

Milky skies :(

SOUNDTRACK

Very moody ... fits very well to most of your photos

TIMING

No special comment... perhaps a little bit tooooooo slow on first slides.

PTE MASTERY

Much of the transitions are "movement" transitions (pan, zoom and associated) and you applied them nearly to all slides !!!

For a moody slideshow, I find it not suited and all these movements are, in course of time, boring and for most of them, don't bring any plus to the photos.

Moreover, on my PC ... a very old one I must admit, absolutely each transitions are jerky.

To be honest, I "read" it on my wife's very recent laptop and I found, after all, quite a lot of slightly stuttering transitions.

Best is to hide mouse cursor for all show.

WATCHABILITY

For PTE V5 trials, interesting.

For a slideshow showing photos, some work has to be done : "lighten" photos and decrease contrast/saturation, carefully select them and, most of all, severely limit pan, zooms and other "movement" transitions.

Thank you for sharing.... I have yet saved (screenshot) some of your photos.

Regards

Patrick

Hello Dave

I am french and writting in english is not so easy so I will use <a href="http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6713" target="_blank">Andrews (ADB) "scale"

</a>

PHOTOGRAPHY/GRAPHICS

Some very good shots (subject, composition, theme) but overall too dark and too saturated/contrasted.

Milky skies :(

SOUNDTRACK

Very moody ... fits very well to most of your photos

TIMING

No special comment... perhaps a little bit tooooooo slow on first slides.

PTE MASTERY

Much of the transitions are "movement" transitions (pan, zoom and associated) and you applied them nearly to all slides !!!

For a moody slideshow, I find it not suited and all these movements are, in course of time, boring and for most of them, don't bring any plus to the photos.

Moreover, on my PC ... a very old one I must admit, absolutely each transitions are jerky.

To be honest, I "read" it on my wife's very recent laptop and I found, after all, quite a lot of slightly stuttering transitions.

Best is to hide mouse cursor for all show.

WATCHABILITY

For PTE V5 trials, interesting.

For a slideshow showing photos, some work has to be done : "lighten" photos and decrease contrast/saturation, carefully select them and, most of all, severely limit pan, zooms and other "movement" transitions.

Thank you for sharing.... I have yet saved (screenshot) some of your photos.

Regards

Patrick

Good morning Patrick,

I find your critique very interesting, and I appreciate it. Perhaps I can learn from it. I was concerned about the dark appearance. I use a Dell Ultra Sharp monitor and it can really make the saturated pictures snap. With some of then I wanted to give an evening feeling also. But as you say, viewed on monitors of less intensity can be distracting. Most of my family uses Ultra Sharp monitors, so essentaily that's where I dialed in the saturation and brightness. And you have confirmed my suspicions about pans viewed with sub-par video cards. Of especial interest to me though was your impression on the use of pans in all the pictures. Maybe I should have been more selective and mixed it up more, both in the use of and the duration. The reason for the slow start (and I agree with you) was that I wanted to get to a particular place in the music to present the text. I should have chopped off a bit of the beginning in Audacity.

I hope to continue getting input from you and others so that I can learn. I'm new at this.

Best regards,

Dave

I was concerned about the dark appearance. I use a Dell Ultra Sharp monitor and it can really make the saturated pictures snap. With some of then I wanted to give an evening feeling also. But as you say, viewed on monitors of less intensity can be distracting. Most of my family uses Ultra Sharp monitors,....

... monitor adjustments can be tricky and sometimes, a given slideshow can be hardly "readable" on some extreme adjusted ones ! :blink:

The reason for the slow start (and I agree with you) was that I wanted to get to a particular place in the music to present the text. I should have chopped off a bit of the beginning in Audacity.

Just an idea ... what about going round this "blank" time by showing a map situating your shots.

I live in Alsace, France : do you know where it is ? :rolleyes: ... for me it's the same for Kansas ! I don't precisely locate it, and, after viewing your show, I used Google Earth just to have a general idea of the geographical situation and particularity.

Patrick

... monitor adjustments can be tricky and sometimes, a given slideshow can be hardly "readable" on some extreme adjusted ones ! :blink:

Just an idea ... what about going round this "blank" time by showing a map situating your shots.

I live in Alsace, France : do you know where it is ? :rolleyes: ... for me it's the same for Kansas ! I don't precisely locate it, and, after viewing your show, I used Google Earth just to have a general idea of the geographical situation and particularity.

Patrick

That's a great idea Patrick. I'll have to think about how I might do this. On a previous note, the more I think about your reaction to my pans and zooms, the more I've taken your critique to heart. One of the hallmarks of an amatuer is the misuse of tools. Guilty as charged. One should pan or zoom only if it adds to the communication/message of the slide. If the point is obvious, no sense moving around. It just makes the viewer sea-sick. Also, I've modified the slideshow a little by lightening up most of the slides and taking the animation out of some. I think it was a needed improvement.

Lastly, as you surely know, there are general rules/guidelines in still photography, such as "rule of thirds, leading lines, balance, etc. This whole idea of animated sideshows opens up a new ball game, one where I've never been exposed to the "dos and don't". Do you know if any information is around, such as guidelines for slideshows, or even guidelines for cinamaphotography?

That's all for now.

Best regards,

Dave

Lastly, as you surely know, there are general rules/guidelines in still photography, such as "rule of thirds, leading lines, balance, etc. This whole idea of animated sideshows opens up a new ball game, one where I've never been exposed to the "dos and don't".

Do you know if any information is around, such as guidelines for slideshows, or even guidelines for cinamaphotography?

I don't know if there are guidelines for slideshow incorporating animated features but I suppose that the rules fitted to video or cinemaphotography are perfectly suited to slideshows, animated or not with pans and zooms or rotating objects.

Concerning my proper knowledge about this sector of "photography", I had to do sequences for professionnel goals.

It is partial and relatively old.... I made some short movies 15 years ago and then stopped.

At that time, I followed a serie of lessons which ended with trial sequences !

My reminders are :

- short sequences (inferior to 2 min),

- general images to situate the action,

- parsimonious use, if useful to spectators comprehension, slow and short zooms (ditto for panoramic movements),

- avoid "pumping" zooms (in and out) and, if necessary, separate them with a well marked time of not zooming images

- allways begin zooms with still (no zoom or pan) images

- if details are shown, replace them in the general context before or after showing them

- be very economical with all special effects apart, should the occasion arise, for the introducing or end images.

- and so on ...

As you see, apart the sequence duration which can last up to 5 to 8 min, all recommandations can be used for slideshows.

Patrick

I liked it!! As a new resident of Iowa it does take some looking to find beauty in the plains areas. And I think you have really done that. I agree with Patrick on some points though. I'm not a big fan of a lot of transistions. Also I found the show a little jerky on all my computers. The Moire (sp) effect has also creeped into some of your shots. In the begining on the cow on the left, his, opps her hay is shimmering. And a few slides later on the stone building the windows are also shimmering. I belive this is a sizing phenominum (sp) Sizing also could be affecting your jerking. (I think). Loved the photography!!! I am by far not an expert so please take this as Imo. By the way I like Patricks way of evaluating. That's one of the reasons I come to the forums. It would be nice to have a standard appraisal system then comments at the end.

Bob W.

I liked it!! As a new resident of Iowa it does take some looking to find beauty in the plains areas. And I think you have really done that. I agree with Patrick on some points though. I'm not a big fan of a lot of transistions. Also I found the show a little jerky on all my computers. The Moire (sp) effect has also creeped into some of your shots. In the begining on the cow on the left, his, opps her hay is shimmering. And a few slides later on the stone building the windows are also shimmering. I belive this is a sizing phenominum (sp) Sizing also could be affecting your jerking. (I think). Loved the photography!!! I am by far not an expert so please take this as Imo. By the way I like Patricks way of evaluating. That's one of the reasons I come to the forums. It would be nice to have a standard appraisal system then comments at the end.

Bob W.

Thanks for the feedback Bob. I'm beginning to understand the sensitivity of pans and zooms. I've not seen an example of a slideshow using pans and zooms that's could be held up as tasteful and judicious use of PZRs (not that they're not out there; I've just not found them). And the shimmer-- Al first brought it to my attention, but I couldn't find it. I've since found the example in the barn window , now I'll have to find it in the cow's hay. :). I've concluded that the jerking is a video card issue (or RAM), and I suppose the moire (your spelling) originates from the same causes. I'll have to look into that problem further. Regarding Patrick, I've learned a lot from him already, and I agree with using a formatted critique system.

Welcome to the midwest Bob. Thanks for your input.

Dave

Hi Dave

Some good pictures in there.. but i found the starting picture a bit too dull for my liking, i also found the use of the pan and zoom a bit too distracting, i more or less knew what was coming next with each different shot on the screen..i would have liked to have seen a few full frame pictures with no effects on them.. but all in all its a good effort, and i liked the music, i thought that suited it well.

Kp nutt (Dave)

Hi Dave

Some good pictures in there.. but i found the starting picture a bit too dull for my liking, i also found the use of the pan and zoom a bit too distracting, i more or less knew what was coming next with each different shot on the screen..i would have liked to have seen a few full frame pictures with no effects on them.. but all in all its a good effort, and i liked the music, i thought that suited it well.

Kp nutt (Dave)

Thanks Dave. The more input I receive, the more I learn other's reaction to it. It sure seems that the panning and zooming thing bothered people more than it did me, although the feedback is from a very small sample. Nevertheless, I am listening. I wanted it to flow with the mood of the music, so I tried to "keep it moving". Maybe I misinterpreted the tool as a movie camera instead of a slideshow maker.

Anyway, thanks for the critique. It will help me learn.

Dave

Dave, let me start by saying a good effort for your first show here.

I liked the opening with the music setting the mood and the use of well made titles, the speed here I was happy with but thought that you could have picked up the pace as we got into the show. A little variation here would have been better.

As others have said I also thought you used too much pan/zoom. As a general rule for any effect subtlety is the key word where a little will have much more impact than a lot.

Your choice of music was just right, it matched the images and the mix of landscape and people/animals in the landscape helped with the mood. The images were sharp, well composed and interesting.

It is indeed difficult to have images that look correct on all monitors, if you can calibrate your monitor with one of the many tools available today, (I use Spyder2pro), and build your images to that standard that is the best that is possible to do.

I had no problems with the moire effect or jerking of the images as others have reported.

Dave, let me start by saying a good effort for your first show here.

I liked the opening with the music setting the mood and the use of well made titles, the speed here I was happy with but thought that you could have picked up the pace as we got into the show. A little variation here would have been better.

As others have said I also thought you used too much pan/zoom. As a general rule for any effect subtlety is the key word where a little will have much more impact than a lot.

Your choice of music was just right, it matched the images and the mix of landscape and people/animals in the landscape helped with the mood. The images were sharp, well composed and interesting.

It is indeed difficult to have images that look correct on all monitors, if you can calibrate your monitor with one of the many tools available today, (I use Spyder2pro), and build your images to that standard that is the best that is possible to do.

I had no problems with the moire effect or jerking of the images as others have reported.

Hi John -

Thank you for your comments & advice. It's important to know how it impacts others, and you taking the time to offer feedback is instructive. I feel sure that my next show will be different in that I hope it will incorporate some of what I've learned.

Have a good evening.

Dave

Thanks Dave. The more input I receive, the more I learn other's reaction to it. It sure seems that the panning and zooming thing bothered people more than it did me, although the feedback is from a very small sample. Nevertheless, I am listening. I wanted it to flow with the mood of the music, so I tried to "keep it moving". Maybe I misinterpreted the tool as a movie camera instead of a slideshow maker.

Anyway, thanks for the critique. It will help me learn.

Dave

Yes i can see what you were trying to acheive, however i always find that listening to what other people say about your work is the best thing you can do... but don't let it stop you from doing what you want to do, because everyone has there own idea's about how they want the final show to look... i agree with jfa about calibrating your monitor.. i use huey, its simple to use and relatively cheap, and does the job, I'll look forward to seeing your next show.

Kpnutt

Having read others comments before seeing your show I was very surprised at how much I enjoyed it.

On my machine it was perfect in brightness and contrast,and I found the pans and zooms alright as

they were very subtle.The music was perfect and the overall length of the show just right.

In other words a really good slideshow.

All the Best Neil

Having read others comments before seeing your show I was very surprised at how much I enjoyed it.

On my machine it was perfect in brightness and contrast,and I found the pans and zooms alright as

they were very subtle.The music was perfect and the overall length of the show just right.

In other words a really good slideshow.

All the Best Neil

You made my day Neil! I don't know which version you watched, but based on the feedback I received, I "tamed down" the panning and zooming, reordered the sequence of images a bit, and then reposted it as "Flinthills(02). I like it better than the original myself. I still need to move faster on the opening slides, so I'm hunting for a picture to insert near the beginning.

Thanks for your encouragement. Have a nice dayNeil.

Dave

based on the feedback I received, I "tamed down" the panning and zooming, reordered the sequence of images a bit, and then reposted it as "Flinthills(02). I like it better than the original myself. I still need to move faster on the opening slides, so I'm hunting for a picture to insert near the beginning.

I have had a look at Flinthills(02) and I hope you don't mind, Flinthills(03). Indeed I found them both an improvement. Congratulations on a interesting show, I find it hard to decide which of these I like more, I have viewed both twice now and after watching each I decide I like it the best. Well done Dave. :)

I have had a look at Flinthills(02) and I hope you don't mind, Flinthills(03). Indeed I found them both an improvement. Congratulations on a interesting show, I find it hard to decide which of these I like more, I have viewed both twice now and after watching each I decide I like it the best. Well done Dave. :)

Thanks for your comments John. It's always encouraging to know progress is being made.

Have a nice evening,

Dave

Hello Dave

I downloaded Flinthills 2 and 3 and find that both greatly enhance the initial version.

Difficult to choose between these 2 versions which is the best, as pictures are not strictly the same ... maybe Flinthills 3

Now I have 3 questions :

- the range of pans and zooms is very, very, very restricted ! ... why then these effects ? They are of no use !

- what are your fade in and out parameters, particularily Thickness of smoothing line as this transitions are grossly stuttering (about 6 to 8 "flashes" before end of effect)

- did you change something on the sound level between flinthills 2 and 3 as the version 3 has a higher sound level... and there are some distorsions audible ?

Hello Dave

I downloaded Flinthills 2 and 3 and find that both greatly enhance the initial version.

Difficult to choose between these 2 versions which is the best, as pictures are not strictly the same ... maybe Flinthills 3

Now I have 3 questions :

- the range of pans and zooms is very, very, very restricted ! ... why then these effects ? They are of no use !

- what are your fade in and out parameters, particularily Thickness of smoothing line as this transitions are grossly stuttering (about 6 to 8 "flashes" before end of effect)

- did you change something on the sound level between flinthills 2 and 3 as the version 3 has a higher sound level... and there are some distorsions audible ?

Patrick -

Question # 1: I used limited pans and zooms because I wanted motion in the show, and I tried to use it only where it would add to the communication of the slide.

Question # 2: The thickness of the smoothing line is set at the default of 6%. Frankly, I have no idea what this function does.

Question # 3: I ddn't change anything with the music between (02) and (03). Odd that you would experience a difference.

Regards,

Dave

Question # 2: The thickness of the smoothing line is set at the default of 6%. Frankly, I have no idea what this function does.

Question # 3: I ddn't change anything with the music between (02) and (03). Odd that you would experience a difference.

Ah ! OK !

I don't understand too ! ... must probably be due to a software running in the background just during launching of the slideshow !

Dave,

The smoothing line just adjusts the dividing edge in moving-type of transitions such as "hourhand", "page" and "gate" effects. You can experiment by setting a higher number and viewing the resulting feathered edge.

It has no effect in the "fade" or "quick (cut)" effects.

The smoothing line just adjusts the dividing edge in moving-type of transitions.......<snip?.....

Thanks Al, it's good to learn something new every day and on this forum I usually do. :)