WnSoft Forums

T.S.S - Earnslaw - Alternative show - Feedback sought

ADB

Hello all

Further to the original thread on the T.S.S Earnslaw show I have made an alternative show. The alternative show has the same material as the first but have made the change that any standard sized horizontal image is no longer panned or zoomed. Panoramas and vertical standard sized images are still panned so as to maintain full screen viewing for a cinematic effect throughout the presentation.

The original version can be downloaded here:- http://www.imagescapes.co.nz/DL/Earnslaw.zip

The alternative version can be downloaded here:- http://www.mediafire.com/?fdlmott1ll4

I guess I'm actually doing some market research and I would be grateful for anybody to make any feedback about the shows, in particular I would like to hear from those that thought the original show had too many zooms and pans and was too busy and also from those who liked the original show pretty much as it was.

If you can be really honest that would be great.

From my own personal view I don't feel any show is bettter than the other but would certainly enjoy watching one more than the other depending on my current state of mind and mood.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Andrew

Hello Andrew,

For some reason I missed seeing this show when you put it on the first time.So I have just watched both versions a couple of times.I was very impressed with the images,nearly all being superb.The first pan I found to be a little too fast,and the black slides on screen for a bit too long.Otherwise it was great. I like to keep copies of other peoples shows that I am impressed with and the one of these for that file will be the original with pans.So I guess thats the one I prefer.

Also you have great images on your website.

Hope one day to be half as good :)

All the best Neil

... OK then !

To be honest, the changes are not obvious to me : the too numerous moving images are still very disturbing :blink::blink::blink:

... and, sadly, take away a great part of the effect, your superb images would give if they where just still :(

I noticed in addition that the first pano moves much too fast (and overshoots the boat) and the last pano is a little bit curious as the boat seems to move lateraly :unsure:

Hello all

Further to the original thread on the T.S.S Earnslaw show I have made an alternative show. The alternative show has the same material as the first but have made the change that any standard sized horizontal image is no longer panned or zoomed. Panoramas and vertical standard sized images are still panned so as to maintain full screen viewing for a cinematic effect throughout the presentation.

The original version can be downloaded here:- http://www.imagescapes.co.nz/DL/Earnslaw.zip

The alternative version can be downloaded here:- http://www.mediafire.com/?fdlmott1ll4

I guess I'm actually doing some market research and I would be grateful for anybody to make any feedback about the shows, in particular I would like to hear from those that thought the original show had too many zooms and pans and was too busy and also from those who liked the original show pretty much as it was.

From my own personal view I don't feel any show is bettter than the other but would certainly enjoy watching one more than the other depending on my current state of mind and mood.

Thanks in advance.

Hello down there Andrew,

I just finished watching the slower version of Earnslaw. Much, much better. If I wanted to proudly claim it as my own, there are only a few things I'd adjust: 1) the speed and duration of the first pan is still a little fast and long for my biorhythms. 2) It would be nice to have a quick introduction of text to the star of the show. Being from Kansas, I don't know the significance of what I'm seeing. 3) I'm not a big fan of verticle pans so I'd limit it to the slide that's followings the smoke to the ship. All in all though, it's easy to get caught up in the great photography. I even applaud how nice the transitions looked. It "flowed".

Much improved Andrew--do some more, okay?

Take care,

Dave

Cheers

Andrew

Thankyou gentlemen for your feedback.

I think I may end up making a hybrid of the two shows for my final, some of those long dissolves in the second show I think look better than the first so I may incorporate them but at the same time feel there are some very strong zooms that just need to stay

Dave you have got me thinking, I know just the thing to fill in that long pan at the start, and that's a superimposed introduction of text as you suggested (thank you!) though I know Patrick's going to say "Now I can't even see the landscape!" :-)

Thanks again all has been a very interesting exercise for me and I think part of success of this forum is that sometimes we manage to agree to disagree and of course wherever "art" is involved its probably a good way to be!

Cheers

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Just for the record I'm writing these comments before I read any of the comments that others have posted.

I have just viewed the "no pans" version and followed it immediately by viewing again the original sequence.

Please can I change my mind?

There's no doubt in my mind that the original is the better of the two. The "no pans" sequence has a lifeless feel to it in comparison to the original. I now realise that when first viewing your original sequence I was excessively taken by the beautiful scenery. I lost sight of the fact that the sequence was about the "Earnslaw". And she moves through that wonderful landscape. Your use of pans and zooms captured that movement. You were right; I was wrong.

However, I feel that both sequences still share a common point of weakness. Your first panoramic pan (after the steam whistle opening) moves at a speed which, to me, is not in keeping with the tempo of the accompanying music. I think the entire sequence would benefit from having this opening pan taken much, much more slowly in order that it better fits the mood of the music.

Thanks for taking the time and trouble to rework the sequence to give those of us who felt it wasn't right a chance to see it how we thought it should be. I, for one, am prepared to say that my original assessment was wrong.

This has been a salutary reminder to me as a judge of the work of local photographic societies that I mustn't make snap decisions (no pun intended).

Once again, thanks for sharing this sequence (in both its incarnations) with us all.

Now I'll scroll up and read the other comments.

I'm a new user og PTE. Great show !!

One question. You have a nice Intro. The moving text at the beginning is cool. I'm not able to reproduce this; the result is very bad.

See attachment.

Cheers

Matthias

Hello Mathais and welcome to the forum.

I think your main problem is that your text is moving too fast and you seem to have a transition occuring at the same time. You might want to go to the customize slide option box and in Effects select "Quick (no transition effect)" it would be esaier if you post your actual project file so we could have a look, not the .exe file but your .pte file.

Good luck!

Cheers

Andrew

I have just viewed the "no pans" version and followed it immediately by viewing again the original sequence.

Please can I change my mind?

There's no doubt in my mind that the original is the better of the two. The "no pans" sequence has a lifeless feel to it in comparison to the original. I now realise that when first viewing your original sequence I was excessively taken by the beautiful scenery. I lost sight of the fact that the sequence was about the "Earnslaw". And she moves through that wonderful landscape. Your use of pans and zooms captured that movement. You were right; I was wrong.

However, I feel that both sequences still share a common point of weakness. Your first panoramic pan (after the steam whistle opening) moves at a speed which, to me, is not in keeping with the tempo of the accompanying music. I think the entire sequence would benefit from having this opening pan taken much, much more slowly in order that it better fits the mood of the music.

Thanks for taking the time and trouble to rework the sequence to give those of us who felt it wasn't right a chance to see it how we thought it should be. I, for one, am prepared to say that my original assessment was wrong.

This has been a salutary reminder to me as a judge of the work of local photographic societies that I mustn't make snap decisions (no pun intended).

Once again, thanks for sharing this sequence (in both its incarnations) with us all.

Thanks for your post, of course you can change your mind on this show (if my wife can so can you!) I think what you have said lines up with why I instantly liked the original show, because I had gotten used to the photography and wanted a more non-literal interpretation of the subject matter. Maybe its like when you see a movie for the second time and enjoy it even more than the first.

I understand what you mean about the scenery, I live with it every day so do take it for granted a bit.

That opening scene is a real pain for me as the time of that pan is locked into the soundtrack which I think fits the image perfectly and the length of the panorama which I can't shorten as you can't have an opening panorama of the Earnslaw without including the famous Remarkables at the start of the panorama. I may be able loop my soundtrack secretly within itself but its such a crisp peice of music I possibly won't get away with it.

I used to judge photos at my camera club and would have them for a whole week, I usually found if I hung them around the walls all week, the image I preferred at the start of the week wasn't the one I liked at the end of the week.

Thanks again for your comments.

Cheers

Andrew

Looked great to me. I didn't see the first but my only suggestion on the second would be to shorten the blackout time on the first long black pause.

For those unfamiliar with this old ship and its colorful history:

http://www.nzmaritime.co.nz/earnslaw.htm

Best regards,

Lin

Looked great to me. I didn't see the first but my only suggestion on the second would be to shorten the blackout time on the first long black pause.

For those unfamiliar with this old ship and its colorful history:

http://www.nzmaritime.co.nz/earnslaw.htm

Best regards,

Lin

Cheers Lin and thanks for the link - I even learnt a few things about "Earnie" I didn't know before!

Andrew, sorry I haven't been able to give you feedback sooner, I have been away for a week and then very busy, also I wanted to look at your two shows and leave it for a few days then view them again before I made any comments, so here goes now.

The alternative show was more pleasing to me but after viewing it I looked at the original again and saw it in a different light. I think now I have been able to look at the wonderful scenery at leisure I am no longer looking for that in the original and am more receptive to the creative way in which you created the sense of movement. At this point I would have to say I like both equally. Sorry this is of little help to you in deciding which show you should stay with.

I always view any show posted here and note my comments down before I read any other comments, then I read them and often watch the show again then post my comments.

If you decide to make a composite show I hope the following may be useful.

The first pan I found to be a little too fast,and the black slides on screen for a bit too long.
Neil is correct here also Peter said
I think the entire sequence would benefit from having this opening pan taken much, much more slowly in order that it better fits the mood of the music.
which I agree with strongly.

Also I missed the first zoom into the funnel whistle very much. It you make the transition from the funnel to the pan a little quicker and reduce the time on-screen of the last slide in the opening sequence you can add this time to the pan thus slowing it down, please don't lessen the area of scenery covered with the pan as I think it is just right.

Lin said

only suggestion on the second would be to shorten the blackout time on the first long black pause.
I also agree with this.

The second, (middle), section I find enjoyable and think you have it about right, the vertical pan was handled better here than the first show. Maybe the boat leaving the wharf could have been a little quicker, perhaps try changing images on each beat of the music instead of each second beat.

In the final section with "Earnie" in dry dock then at the wharf and finally back out in the water there is one slide of "Earnie" powering out on the water, (this photo is showing the stern of the boat), which I thought was out of sequence and would be better positioned toward the end of this sequence, maybe the second last shot with a gentle zoom back from the stern.

As I said in my comments of the original show I am very impressed with the way you handled the audio. A great choice of music to match the images and create the mood of each section.

Thanks again Andrew for posting these shows it has given me much food for thought and created an interesting discussion.

This exercise leads me to think there is a time where it may be best to post two different shows of the same subject. Oh dear more work! :lol: