WnSoft Forums

Copying exe to client's hard drive

Michiele

I have a client who wants to copy the slide show exe to their hard drive from the cd I made for them. They say their computer will not let it copy. I don't seem to have this trouble on my computer. I tried it on the kids older computer and it won't let it copy either, it will create a short cut that references the cd drive. Anyone know about this? Is there a option I am missing in PTE? Thanks for any help.

Michiele

Michiele, I may be able to help. By any chance did you attempt to copy files by simply dragging them from CD to hard drive with *left* mouse button? If so, Windows will not copy files, but instead will create shortcuts to them when the file type is .exe, as your shows are. The solution is simple. Just drag the files with the *right* mouse button instead. After you drag files to hard drive location a pop-up menu will appear with the choices "Copy, Move or Cancel". Select "Copy" and you should be all set. You can even get the left mouse button to copy .exe files by pressing and holding down the "Ctrl" key while you do the left-mouse drag and drop. This will copy your .exe files without asking any questions.

If this was the problem be sure to describe one of the two methods on CD labeling so that anyone using the CD will know what to do :(

Michiele,

It may be a problem with the file not being copied properly onto the CD. Usually windows will copy the whole file when you drag and drop from an external drive such as a CD or a floppy disk, whether you press "Control" or not.

Try cutting another cd with a different file, and see if the problem still exists. Also, make sure you are "left-clicking" on the files. :)

Michiele,

Most common cases of this CD issue usually relate to the USER actions ... as alot of Users try to hurry the copy function when using their mouse/action. This is most evident on older sys, slow cdrom readers and large exe files trying to be copied prior to Windows gathering sufficient file data fast enough off the CD to perform the copy function (even the virus protection program helps contribute to the delay)

Otherwise as Al suggests ... it may be your CD Copy having some file corruption not enabling the file to be copied properly.

Note : Also make sure the Current User has permission to copy such files. Many OS/Admn setup will use such restrictions.