WnSoft Forums

Cleaning Slides

Alan Lyons

We talked recently about the difference between digital images or scanned slides. I am currently scanning some old AV work so as to present them on CD. Some are over 10 years old. Does any one know of a chemical bath I can use to remove thumb prints ect. from slides,

Alan

Alan

from my darkroom collection -- this stuff goes back to the 1970's

Edwal Scientific anti stat film cleaner -- contains no carbon tetrachloride -- non inflammable

and

Kodak film cleaner -- old part # 195 6986

keep away from open flame and sparks

i would make a suggestion but i wont because one time i tried to clean fly dirt off a ladies face on an old print with water and a qtip -- lost half her chin --- took the rest of the day copying - -penciling -- copying

so you gamble with something that has no value to see if the emulsion is harmed

a search on google gave me a place in the UK

http://www.crownphoto.co.uk/astatmac.htm

and also foun some Edwal stff here

http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Nook/7058/chemical.htm

and a search of Paterson [uK] Dark room supplies gave more

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navc...rkroom+supplies

from Kodak

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/consumer/pr...ae22/ae22.shtml

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/hse/solvent.jhtml

this one has a chart describing chemicals used

and trade names.

ken

Chemistry? Film cleaner? I thought that's what Photoshop is for!! :lol:

Seriously, though, it might pay to do a scan first, and then clean, just in case you lose it.

Hello Alan,

If you've got lots to scan, you might want to look into sending them out to someplace that uses digital ICE and ROC to clean up old slides.

Don't know about your side of the pond, but in the states I've heard good things about these people:

http://www.slidescanning.com/

Actual cleaning of slides always scared me....stay away from open flames, be very careful, and hope you don't wipe away image along with fingerprints.

Best of luck to you,

Lee Schwabe

San Antonio, TX

Hello my friend,

Sorry for not spotting your post sooner , Have you tried .....L.S.L in Lennox Street ? Michael Elliot once recommended met,s spirit I think but you are a braver mortal than I if you attempt to touch your slides Michael's Phone no, is 4781078 why have I not seen your wonderful "After the Rain" show loaded up to the Cottage ???? :lol:

are there any events taking place in Dublin that I would be interested in I got great inspiration from your last workshop thank you once again good luck with the cleaning(maybe Lever Brothers will give you your money back !!!) you rock Regards Clive

I'm sorry to be bearer of what may be sad news, but, fingerprints on a slide is not a good thing. Especially, if it's been sitting on the slide for some time. The oils in our skin that produces the fingerprint, unfortunately, also contain acids. These acides, over time, etch themselves into the emulsion of the slide. Hence, the only way you'll safely be able to clean them is in Photoshop.

Never use water on an old print. If you need a cleaner on prints, use denatured alcohol.

Before you attempt any cleaning. though, at least do a scan first so you have something to fall back on when you utter those frightening words.....uhohh! :lol:

Thanks to all for the replys,

To update, I have scanned the images and it is when I view them under zoom that I can see the dirt marks. The reason for cleaning would be to have the best possible quality going into the scanner, the darkroom boys will remember that to start with the best neg saves hours of retouching later. I'll have a closer look at the links supplied by Ken.

As for CLIVE! Should I use Surf no bio on the delacate wash, and what effect will the spin cycle have? :D

I agree I should post "After the Rain". I needes to make a few adjustments and will post asap,

Alan

Alan, when i was starting in the darkroom [and i think at times am still in the dark]i asked my mentors how to cover scratches on negs -- they all said thumb your forehead -- i said how the h is that going to fill the scratch -- you will get enough oil to carefully rub the neg with and the scratch will be filled -- it will also remove the little boogers that always seem pop up on your print :D

only ex darkroomers will "do it in the dark" :D

ken

:D Well Ken,

you lead a dull life, sorry could not resist it . Are you sending your forehead to Alan or is he sending his slides to you, we don't have oily forheads in Ireland ,Yes indeed the pills ware off quicker these days, I think with slides you would not get away with this as the dyes used in the slide are prone to bacteria I think also fungi yuk! and I know Alan well enough to be very careful with storage of his trannies so the culprit must have been a Judge in a competion or a third party handling his slides so Alan if Kens forehead arrives in the post send it back

Regards Clive,

ps no offence meant

[quote=B)

only ex darkroomers will "do it in the dark" :D

ken]

But Slide workers are more positive about it

Alan

Thank Ye all for your input. i had forgotten about the oliy forhead being the undoing of the greasy palms. I still think a wash may be the best option for my problem. I will say however, if Clive thinks there are no oily people in Ireland, where did you get your hair style :D

I'll go and lie down now, my forhead needs rubbing :D