WnSoft Forums

Fault: Loss of Preview Panel in Vertical View

John-W

(PTE V4.48 & V5.04 under Windows 98 & XP)

In Vertical View, drag the right margin of the Preview Panel leftwards enough to allow the left margin of the Preview Panel to be dragged rightwards over and past the Preview Panel right margin. The Preview Panel is now lost and its margins cannot be adjusted.

Note. I have found at least one way to recover the Preview Panel from this condition. (Other than re-installing PTE!)

Post solutions in this thread…

Hi John,

I don't understand your problem - or, at least, I cannot recreate it on my Windows Vista system and so it might have Operating System dependencies.

I'm using PTE V5.04 on Vista Home Premium. If I switch to vertical mode and then try and drag any of the vertical "separator" bars over any other "separator" bar it refuses to do it. It always forces a gap to be left (i.e. I cannot destroy a "sub-window" as you seem to be able to do)

I've tried the same set of checks on PTE v4.47 and it did look as if it was going to let me go over the next "separator". At this point I chickened out and didn't push it all the way.

I realise this doesn't help you resolve your problem but it might help others to narrow down the problem area.

Hi John,

I don't understand your problem - or, at least, I cannot recreate it on my Windows Vista system and so it might have Operating System dependencies.

I'm using PTE V5.04 on Vista Home Premium. If I switch to vertical mode and then try and drag any of the vertical "separator" bars over any other "separator" bar it refuses to do it. It always forces a gap to be left (i.e. I cannot destroy a "sub-window" as you seem to be able to do)

I've tried the same set of checks on PTE v4.47 and it did look as if it was going to let me go over the next "separator". At this point I chickened out and didn't push it all the way.

I realise this doesn't help you resolve your problem but it might help others to narrow down the problem area.

Hello Peter,

I've only tried this under Windows 98 and XP, but it is the same for V4.48 and V5.04. Perhaps it does not occur under Vista(?)

Just to clarify, in Vertical View first drag the right margin ('separator') of the Preview Panel as far left as it will go - yes, it won't go over the left hand margin. Now (on my systems) it is possible to drag the left hand margin of the Preview Panel to the right and over the right hand margin.

John W.

John,

You mention:

Note. I have found at least one way to recover the Preview Panel from this condition. (Other than re-installing PTE!)

I gather you mean you have not found a way to recover the panels/positions other than re-installing PTE ?

The only solution I can see to do in this occurance ... is to remove PTEs Apr.ini file completely or if your up to the task edit the configuration/parameter setting relating to panels size/position.

The quickest way is just to delete the Apr.ini (close PTE first). PTE will restore the Apr.ini to its normal/default settings when PTE is opened again. This avoids re-installing PTE.

file location in XP:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\PicturesToExe\Versions\5.0\apr.ini

My recovery procedure

After accidentally ‘losing’ the Preview Panel in Vertical View I found the following recovery procedure by trial and error:

- Select Classic View

- Display the Slide List as thumbnails

- Drag the bottom margin of the Preview Panel fully downwards

- Select Vertical View: the Preview Panel left and right margins should now be available again for dragging

The developers will probably understand why this works!