WnSoft Forums

Monitor Profile Lost

JDoran

Hi,

Just got new PC with NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT fitted. Monitor profile is being discarded on preview as previously discussed for some ATI cards. I understood this nVidia card would retain profile - do I have to change settings on the graphic card manager to stop this happening.

Thanks

Jane

Color profile should work fine on NVIDIA video cards. Try to install latest drivers from NVIDIA website.

Got a colleague to help with this and now have downloaded drivers from NVIDIA site but still unable to resolve this problem.

The monitor profile appears to be lost when previewing slide-show or executable resulting in color shift.

On investigation:

Setting hardware acceleration off restores correct color management

Using my colleagues PC (NVIDIA 5200) on same slideshow restores correct color management

There are a number of settings that I can access via the graphics card manager that I have not touched.

Anyone else use this graphics card successfully? If so can they advise on their settings?

Or can anyone suggest what I might be doing wrong.

Thanks

Jane

Jane,

I'm sure I also speak for others ~ what exactly do you mean by:-

..."The monitor profile appears to be lost when"...

So you got a new PC with a GeForce 8600 Vga Card which is excellent,

What is the make of the New PC ?...

What is the make of the Monitor ?...

Was the Monitor supplied by the PC Maker ?..

There are a few issues here which can't be answered without more detail

about your PC Setup ~for instance~ did you buy the system as a complete

package from Dell etc; or did you buy the PC Components for self-assembly ?

Brian.Conflow.

Jane,

I'm sure I also speak for others ~ what exactly do you mean by:-

..."The monitor profile appears to be lost when"...

So you got a new PC with a GeForce 8600 Vga Card which is excellent,

What is the make of the New PC ?...

What is the make of the Monitor ?...

Was the Monitor supplied by the PC Maker ?..

There are a few issues here which can't be answered without more detail

about your PC Setup ~for instance~ did you buy the system as a complete

package from Dell etc; or did you buy the PC Components for self-assembly ?

Brian.Conflow.

Hi,

Monitor is profiled using spider2. The monitor profile is reported as loaded into the graphics card on boot-up. Images in file list and slide-show list appear correctly colour managed.

When slide-show is previewed the icc profile appears to be discarded and a visible colour shift in the images is observed. This has been reported elsewhere for some ATI Radeon cards and is confirmed as a bug however I understood this was not supposed to happen with NVIDIA cards.

The PC was built by local dealer to specification based on discussions on this forum. The monitor is a Hansol 920 used for last few years without problem.

Settings on the graphics card can be adjusted via a software manager. I have not altered these settings as I have not previously had to do this with other NVIDIA cards. If anyone has this card installed I would be grateful if they could share their experiences.

Thanks

Jane

Jane,

All Hansol Monitors are essentially designed for Web-Graphics Usage and they all need

their own 'special Drivers' for proper Monitor Configuration ~ prior to any other actions.

GeForce-8600 generic Drivers won't work properly (if they were loaded) neither will the

Library of Windows (generic) VDU Drivers and I doubt you have the full set of these on

a Custom Built PC.

Usually with Custom PCs you get the "bare bones" and nothing else as you are expected

to be proficient with PC.Systems and its up to you to download drivers which are specific

to your special applications ~ I'm sorry thats the way the PC.Industry operates !

To help you out, I suggest you contact Drivers.Com and I give a 'live-link' below as well

as an "Attachment" in proof of what I am talking about.

When you get the Drivers the VDU will need to be properly configured with a 'Test Card'

firstly in sRGB Mode, and then you can use RGB Mode with the sRGB settings.

I regret this seems to be a Workshop-Job and I would advise you contact the PC.Maker.

Brian.

Conflow Services.

P.S Hansols are known for problems, even changing 'User Screens' with 2000 and Xp for

no apparent reason ~ it always comes down to Installed Driver and Set-up.

LINK:-

http://members.driverguide.com/driver/deta...driverid=112009

post-1416-1193707824_thumb.jpg

Jane,

All Hansol Monitors are essentially designed for Web-Graphics Usage and they all need

their own 'special Drivers' for proper Monitor Configuration ~ prior to any other actions.

GeForce-8600 generic Drivers won't work properly (if they were loaded) neither will the

Library of Windows (generic) VDU Drivers and I doubt you have the full set of these on

a Custom Built PC.

Brian.

Conflow Services.

Hi Brian,

Many thanks for your advice. It will be no problem if it is the monitor as I was thinking

about replacing it anyway. That seems a simple solution and one I can do myself rather than

a workshop job. Have to say I have not had this kind of problem before with custom built PC's.

I have access to a work colleagues set up. His monitor is a Hanspree 19" flat screen. I am thinking about switching monitors

with him to see whether that works. By my reckoning the problem should then transfer to his PC/monitor and hopefully

resolve on mine.

Is my logic sound?

Jane

Hi Jane,

You said... "Is my logic sound?"....sorry I'm afraid not ~ just look at it this way:-

How do you know that your new Custom PC has the Drivers for the Flat Screen VDU ?

Answer:- you don't know, so all you can do is try it out, but before you do that get a

copy of the VDU Drivers from Drivers.Com...because...the PC is going to look for them

when it finds the New Hardware registering on its System.

It might pick-up a set of "generic" Windows Video Drivers but it is far better for the VDU

to have its own Configuration Drivers which are totally different from basic Win Drivers.

Microsoft Win.Drivers are designed to give "Basic Functionality" to your PC per se ~

Nothing else is implied or warranteed, they will tell you than should you query them.

People don't understand that when they purchase a 'Packaged-System' from Dell etc:-

What they are getting is set of Basic Win.Drivers ALSO any Hardware Drivers associated

with the supplied: Mouse-Keyboard-VDU-CdDisc/Burner-USB Hub,etc:-All to make it work.

This is NOT THE CASE with a Custom-Built PC, because how is the Maker to know what

you are going to be using in the future.

Brian.Conflow.

Hi Jane,

You said... "Is my logic sound?"....sorry I'm afraid not ~ just look at it this way:-

How do you know that your new Custom PC has the Drivers for the Flat Screen VDU ?

Answer:- you don't know, so all you can do is try it out, but before you do that get a

copy of the VDU Drivers from Drivers.Com...because...the PC is going to look for them

when it finds the New Hardware registering on its System.

It might pick-up a set of "generic" Windows Video Drivers but it is far better for the VDU

to have its own Configuration Drivers which are totally different from basic Win Drivers.

Brian.Conflow.

Hi Brian,

As you predicted the flat screen monitor is using a generic windows driver. I have logged onto Drivers.Com (wow! the hardest sell I have ever encountered when registering on-line) but they do not have a suitable driver listed for my "alternative" monitor so that line of enquiry is out.

Will continue to investigate as I am hopeful I can find a colleague with a decent monitor and driver disc. However have to say that while I appreciate the driver may not be optimal for my monitor I cannot see why this would cause the effect I am seeing. I have installed the latest nvidia drivers for the card, the monitor is profiled, and the profile is successfully loaded into the video card. The images in the file list and slide list are being properly displayed in P2Exe (and all other software). It is only when previewed in v5 of P2Exe that the colour shift occurs. Setting hardware acceleration off also stops the colour shift from occurring.

I have also read that a member of this forum discovered a "work around" for the ATI card problem - by setting the project options to "windowed" mode rather than "full screen" mode. Changing this setting also stops the colour shift on preview in my set-up.

I would still be keen to hear from anyone who has this card installed, their experiences, and details of their monitor.

TIA

Jane

Jane

there might be a set of drivers on a cd with your new monitor -- if not buy a monitor that comes with a cd set up disk for your monitor

my 19" samsung SyncMaster920n came with drivers on a cd

ken

Hi Ken,

Thanks for that. I have not bought a new monitor yet as I want to establish that it is the monitor that is causing the problem first. On the basis of my investigation so far it seems to me (non-tech aware) that it is the video card or video card set-up that is causing the problem. The problem does not occur on another PC with nvidia 5200 card with my hansol 920p monitor connected and the same slide-show. The effect looks very similar to the reported ATI radeon problem as it is only seen in full screen mode - I am assuming some sort of DirectX issue.

I am hoping to get another monitor with drivers from a friend soon. Plan also to try and wade through the nvidia manual to get some idea what the frighteningly large number of settings on the video card manager actually do.

Thanks anyway

Jane

Jane,

"Nobeefstu's" suggestion is very worthy of pursuit, it may work for you !.....

However I think you are being mis-led by what your Custom PC is actually telling you:-

I made it very clear that all 'Windows Operating Stystems' come with a limited Library

of VDU Drivers. If you don't have your own 'VDU Configuration Drivers' then Windows

gives you a set of (nearest-match) Drivers from its Library, these are purely and simply

to make your PC and VDU basically functional. (I high-lighted that in my last Post)

If those Library Drivers were missing and you had no VDU.Configuration Drivers then the

PC and the Monitor would not work at all - The PC would simply "Freeze" and lock out.

The "Profile" being loaded to your VGA Card is a (near-match) Driver set from Win.Library

They are not satisfactory for your VDU nor your VGA Card(s) and the demands of PTE.

Other PC Comparison ~ Packaged PC Systems ~ have completely different set-ups than your

Custom Built PC so your comparison to the other "working" PC must surely tell you something !!!

So far you have reported the particular fault with 2 "working" VGA Cards on your Custom PC.....

I am just beginning to wonder, what else is wrong with this Custom PC ?..apart from the obvious

missing VDU Drivers....how were the VGA Cards installed ?....were their Drivers loaded from CD-Disc

or taken from Windows ?....and is Direct-9X Library installed ?

Brian.Conflow.

P.S

I note that my friend Ken Cox has advised you of same ~ get a set of VDU Configuration Drivers.

The "Profile" being loaded to your VGA Card is a (near-match) Driver set from Win.Library

They are not satisfactory for your new VGA Card and the demands of PTE.

Its up to you whether you want a 'Windows VDU Profile" OR the proper "VDU Config Profile"

Brian.Conflow.

Brian,

Perhaps I have confused our discussion by trying out a second flat screen monitor (hanspree) to resolve the problem. It is this second monitor that I only have a generic driver for. I have abandoned that approach because of the driver issue.

After your first post I downloaded the most recent hansol 920P drivers from their site. So AFAIK my own PC/monitor set-up is configured

as best it can be. This monitor is profiled with a spyder2 and the icc profile is reported as being successfully installed in the video card at boot-up. The screen visibly changes as the profile is loaded. Spyder2 also has a "profile chooser" which allows me to load other icc profiles eg a generic sRGB profile and again the screen display changes. All this convinces me that the correct monitor profile is loaded in the video card. The problem is that this profile is discarded on preview.

NoBeefstu,

Fairly convinced (see my reply above to Brian) that the monitor profile is loaded up until the slide-show is previewed. I have though had a look at the graphics card manager and imported the monitor profile manually. This however results in bizarre colours (perhaps double profiling as can occur when PS profiles and printer settings conflict?). This inability to import icc profiles is reported on the nvidia forum frequently so far with no replies from nvidia staff so it does not look like a promising option for me to pursue.

I had hoped that others on the forum might be using the nvidia 8600GT card and would be able to confirm that their colour profile was retained on preview or not.

In lieu of that could someone explain the significance of full screen mode wrt DirectX. It appears to me that the colour shift only occurs on full screen mode when hardware acceleration is set on.

Thanks

Jane

Jane,

I have just seen your reply to "Nobeefstu" and consequently I had to edit this Post:-

These Questions need honest answers and if you dont know say so:-

1)

Have you installed the Hansol VDU Config.Drivers ?

2)

Have you installed the GeForce-8600 Config.Drivers from its CD-Disc ?

3)

How was your 'Old' VGA Card installed ? from Windows or from its CD-Disc ?

4)

Do you know how to 'Load' these Drivers ?....

(Its not a simple matter of just dropping them on to the HD).

NOTE:-

If there is a 'genuine negative' to any question then you have a

genuine problem, now we can get somewhere and get a remedy.

Brian.Conflow.

Jane,

Here are the facts from the 'System Data-Sheet' which you posted today ~

It appears that I was correct in my analysis concerning your Hansol VDU

and other facts I supplied to you ~ so much for your "sp2 Profile" its wrong !

Never believe 'profiles' which are Machine generated - check the facts.

The "Attachment" clearly shows whats wrong with your Custom PC.

1)

It appears that there are none or very little (generic) Win.Drivers on this PC.

2)

The Hansol Drivers were never loaded on to the PC and in default of (item.1)

and lack of Hansol Drivers your VGA Cards selected (non-approved) drivers

from their own (limited) Libraries these designed for Win 2000 PCs not at all

compatible with a Dual-Core XP-Pro running Direct-9X.

Finally a bit of advice, DO NOT download Direct-10X at this time otherwise

you will be re-building your PC from scratch.

This PC needs to go back to the Maker and get these problems rectified before

you do anything else and in particular the following need attention:-

Driver nv4_disp.dll and its Exe nv4_mini.sys need to be replaced.(See Attachment)

Brian.Conflow.

post-1416-1193928410_thumb.jpg

Jane,

I have just seen your reply to "Nobeefstu" and consequently I had to edit this Post:-

These Questions need honest answers and if you dont know say so:-

1)

Have you installed the Hansol VDU Config.Drivers ?

2)

Have you installed the GeForce-8600 Config.Drivers from its CD-Disc ?

3)

How was your 'Old' VGA Card installed ? from Windows or from its CD-Disc ?

4)

Do you know how to 'Load' these Drivers ?....

(Its not a simple matter of just dropping them on to the HD).

NOTE:-

If there is a 'genuine negative' to any question then you have a

genuine problem, now we can get somewhere and get a remedy.

Brian.Conflow.

Hi Brian,

I downloaded the most recent drivers from the hansol website and loaded them after your first post.

The nvidia drivers were installed for me by the dealer I assume from the CD that came with the card. At Igor's suggestion I downloaded the latest drivers from the nvidia site

and have loaded them according to their instructions on the site.

Sorry, do not understand what you mean by the "old" VGA card.

The hansol driver download contained an executable installer. I followed the on-screen instructions to load the drivers.

The nvidia driver download is a pack also with an installer. nvidia recommend uninstalling first before updating which I did and then I followed the on-screen instructions from the installer.

I do not understand how the hansol drivers interact with the nvidia drivers or for that matter how both then interact with the icc profile.

Hope that helps with the diagnosis. I found the discussions on the nvidia forums (and the lack of replies from the nvidia staff) less than encouraging for anyone using colour management profiles.

Jane

Jane,

With regret I must say this is my last Post on this thread because in fairness its going "off-topic"

for this Forum.

To answer your recent question 'quoted' below...

.."I do not understand how the hansol drivers interact with the nvidia drivers or for that matter

how both then interact with the icc profile"...

1)

Drivers don't interact, one machine "The Monitor" wants its own drivers so it can set-up

its electronic circuits correctly, thus giving you the ability to "adjust" your Monitor.

2)

Another Machine your "VGA Card" sends a simple Video Signal to your Monitor.It also want

its proper Drivers so it can adjust the 'Video Signal' and the 'Interface-System' between your

PC.Microprocessor and the Monitor depending whether your using Win 2000 or XP or Vista and

it also adjusts the chosen 'Colour Video Format' in current use.

3)

The VGA Drivers 'interact' with Directory-9X so they "fetch" appropriate commands to perform

what is required by you, or by the PTE Program, or by any other Graphics Program.

IF ANY OF THOSE DRIVERS ARE MISSING BOTH WINDOWS AND THE VGA CARD ATTEMPT

TO GIVE YOU "NEAR-MATCH" DRIVERS SO TO GET YOUR COMPUTER UP AND RUNNING.

Jane with respect, how many times do I have to say this ?? and if you examine my last

Post and your attached "Data-Sheet" it clearly show's that the correct Drivers are missing or

not properly installed !

Finally: Where are your 'Utilities Installation Discs' AND your XP-Sp2 System Disc~ these should

have been provided by the Maker of your Custom PC...obviously they weren't ?

Jane this is not the place to "Fix" your PC ~ you have all the data needed, and its up to you to

return to the PC Maker and sort this out.

I regret I can no longer continue with this thread as its outside the Forum's terms of reference.

Brian.Conflow.

Brian,

Just returned from an overnight business trip and read your replies #18 and #20.

Please be aware that your post #18 crossed over with my post #19

and despite the timings quoted on the posts I was not aware of the

content of #18 when replying to your questions posed in post #17.

At no time have I tried to use the forum to "fix" my PC. I suggest that you

re-examine the sequence of posts and ask yourself who took the topic outside

the "terms of reference" of the forum board if indeed it has gone outside - I can see no

details of such terms of reference and previous discussions on the board appear to

have gone in much greater depth to other topics.

FYI - The XP2 Pro disc and graphics card CD were supplied to me by the dealer and

are in my possession - at no time did I state otherwise.

I have installed the hansol and nvidea drivers (in that order) as per my

previous posts using the installation executables downloaded and both

installations reported the drivers had been successfully installed.

The nv4_disp.dll and nv4_mini.sys that you refer to in post #18 are part of the nvidea

driver download. It appears to me therefore that the nvidea driver installation

substitutes their drivers for the hansol drivers.

I am very surprised at the tone of your last post. A colleague who has perhaps

more experience of forum boards advises me to terminate the discussion and I

therefore will join you in doing so at this point.

Any other member of the forum who has experience of this graphics card and is willing

to share that experience please contact me by e-mail. This is my last post.