WnSoft Forums

Makining autorun for avi file

fitzner3

I am new but wanted to know since it seems like the main problem is that they don't have the correct player or plug in so is there a way to provide the player and other files on the CD.

Ideally i would like to use VLC cause its small and supports nearly all files but if there is a better program for this use please let me know

my main goal is to burn this avi to a cd and have it auto play no matter how they have there computer setup for

so can i do something like

[autorun]

open=vlc/ fullscreen/ open/ close/MYAVI.avi

Please help!

Autoruns should not have any spaces I believe!

The easiest way to produce a working 'Autorun' is to use one of the many free utilities that are available.

I use one called 'Speedo Autorum Maker Pro' If you search on Google, you will find it.

Another thing to be aware of is that you must make sure to enable autorun on your computer.

Ron

SomeGuyNamedMatt,

so can i do something like

[autorun]

open=vlc/ fullscreen/ open/ close/MYAVI.avi

Your string above wont work ... because

1-your vlc is most likely not registered as a windows system component. With windows components you can get by just using the short filename without the path. Windows Media Player is a registered windows system component ... and therefore one can use just wmplayer or wmplayer.exe without the path.

2-your /MYAVI.avi needs to be a backslash and with a empty space after the last close parameter.

Notes about the previous post with Harry (fitzner3)

Harry was always behind the times ... he was using 95/98 OS and is an older dos version than used today. Then mplayer2.exe was the Windows Media Player. One needed a Shelexec file to execute certain files.

Todays dos has much more flexability and provides more uses functions.

---------

These autoruns work for Xp using mplayer2.exe Windows Media Player only. Please remember the newer Windows Media Player, wmplayer.exe does not provide use of the command parameters ... thats why most use mplayer2.exe for this function. Xp has both players in its OS.

AutoRun Mplayer2 for XP

requires full path to mplayer2.exe

[autorun]

open=C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\mplayer2.exe /fullscreen /play /close \your.avi

with a copy of mplayer2.exe on CD root ( wmplayer2 program and other files must be available on the users PC)

[autorun]

open=mplayer2.exe /fullscreen /play /close \your.avi

without a copy of mplayer2.exe on CD root

[autorun]

shellexecute=mplayer2.exe /fullscreen /play /close \your.avi

---------------

Ideally i would like to use VLC cause its small and supports nearly all files but if there is a better program for this use please let me know

If the VLC player works as a standalone player or is a totally portable player for external drive installation. ... I think it should work for your needs. However, you must verify all its installation files are totally written to the CD/DVD ... because many programs still write its program configuration files to the system. Plus you need to verify any of its components or codecs dont need to be be registered by regsvr32.exe.

Then you need to verify the VLC players command parameters if available, They may not have any ... or if they do ... they might be different than that of the mplayer2 to perform the parameters you require.

So you got lots of reading and testing to perform ... plus you need to make sure it Licensing & Rights allows you redistribute the way you plan to.

So if the VLC player works as a standalone player and the other files are relative on the Root of the CD/DVD ... then your autorun string would look something like this :

[autorun]

open=playername.exe /parameter /parameter /parameter \your.avi

Note: above spacing is critcal and required.

Hope your tests go well !!

Ron,

Autoruns should not have any spaces I believe!

You are somewhat correct ... but nowadays it also depends in what file system format you write the disc with. The different file systems available allow some tolerence depending on the file system version and to what type of disc is used. Users just need to be aware what file system settings their burn program is using and who they intend to use the disc.

I personally still use the simple 8.3 rules for autorun ... its the most reliable to meet all needs.

Links:

ISO 9660 - Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_9660

Joliet (file system) - Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joliet_%28file_system%29

Universal Disk Format - Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Disk_Format

Please explain what you mean by '8.3 rules' I have not heard of them before.

Ron

From msdn.microsoft.com:

... the older MS-DOS FAT file system supports a maximum of 8 characters for the base file name and 3 characters for the extension, for a total of 12 characters including the dot separator. This is commonly known as an 8.3 file name. The Windows FAT and NTFS file systems are not limited to 8.3 file names, because they have long file name support.

There are additional rules which characters are allowed, and which not.

Best regards,

Xaver

Ron,

Adding to Xaver's post above about 8.3 rules and its restrictions :

These are the rules I follow ... because sometimes you never know how old the other users OS may be. Also I still avoid any non-letter or non-numeral characters in the names ... I keep it very simple.

FAT Naming Convention 
FAT uses the traditional 8.3 file naming convention and all filenames must be created with the ASCII character set. The name of a file or directory can be up to eight characters long, then a period (.) separator, and up to a three character extension. The name must start with either a letter or number and can contain any characters except for the following:

. " / \ [ ] :; | = ,

If any of these characters are used, unexpected results may occur. The name cannot contain any spaces.

The following names are reserved:

CON, AUX, COM1, COM2, COM3, COM4, LPT1, LPT2, LPT3, PRN, NUL

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys kinda spaced out about my question here but i figured it out with the wiki VLC page at there site http://www.videolan.org/

but here what i did re-encoded the dvd files smaller so it would fit on a CD (i used AutoGK 2.45)with the VLC player (i used an early version of the player to cut down on size), a read me and of coarse the autorun file

Here my autorun

[Autorun]

open=vlc/vlc.exe --fullscreen --disable-screensaver TheObamaDeception.avi

action=vlc/vlc.exe --fullscreen --disable-screensaver TheObamaDeception.avi

label=The Obama Deception Video CD

Works great on all the computers i tried it on :D

But if some one would recommended one of those autorun programs that run multiple files i got AutorunPro but the code must change after AutorunPro takes over (what i whould like it to do is run the readme then the video over it so its there when there done watching)

Say it must change cause i tried something like this with AutorunPro but failed to open and run vlc

[Autorun]

open=AutoRunPro.exe

action=AutoRunPro.exe

[AutorunPro]

Run1=README.txt

Run2=vlc/vlc.exe --fullscreen --disable-screensaver TheObamaDeception.avi

But I'm just nit picking now huh, Why cant you just tell autorun to open more than one thing frustrating!

Any way thanks for the help

-Peace

SomeGuyNamedMatt,

Im glad to hear you got your VLC player on CD.

As for AutoRunPro.exe ... I dont know the workings and functions capable of this program.

However, usually most of these type programs work in conjuction with a autorun.ini file. The autorun.inf just opens/runs your Autorun program ... and then the Autorun program loads a configuration file something like a autorun.ini to get its instructions. The instructions is where your multiple commands can come into play.

I cannot tell from your post if all your instructions are written to just the autorun.inf ... or if the instructions for the AutoRunPro.exe are written to its own ini file ?

Like I say ... the above senario is the usuall layout ... your AutoRunPro.exe may do something all together different.