WnSoft Forums

PTE and EXE files not showing

keewellman

I have created a slideshow and made the EXE file. When I look in the folder for the PTE and EXE files they are not found using Pictures to EXE. I find them using Windows Explorer. I want to change the show and need to open the file to change the slide order.

I checked Folder Options in the Control Panel and Show Hidden Files is checked.

What am I doing wrong?

You could try using Windows file search feature to locate your pte file using the search operand "*.pte" - without the quotes. If it finds your pte file, make a note of the first part of the file name and run a second search for "xxx.exe" - where xxx is the filename you noted and again not including the quotes.

The best way to approach creating sequences is to begin by creating a folder structure, for example:

My Documents

My AV Projects

AV Project 1

AV Project 2

Always start by copying your shortlisted images into the appropriate project folder. If you use music tracks, place a copy of those in the same folder - i.e. keep all the files used by each AV project in the one folder for that project.

When you Save your pte project file make sure it is saved in that folder, too. And when you Create your exe file, again make sure that also goes in the same folder. Everything in the one place makes it easy to make a backup of the sequence that includes all the pieces.

After gaining some experienc in building AV sequences you might want to modify the folder structure. Within each AV Project x folder I have sub-folders called Images, Music, Soundtrack, Voiceover - but I'm a "control freak". I like a place for everything and everything in its place.

You could try using Windows file search feature to locate your pte file using the search operand "*.pte" - without the quotes. If it finds your pte file, make a note of the first part of the file name and run a second search for "xxx.exe" - where xxx is the filename you noted and again not including the quotes.

The best way to approach creating sequences is to begin by creating a folder structure, for example:

My Documents

My AV Projects

AV Project 1

AV Project 2

Always start by copying your shortlisted images into the appropriate project folder. If you use music tracks, place a copy of those in the same folder - i.e. keep all the files used by each AV project in the one folder for that project.

When you Save your pte project file make sure it is saved in that folder, too. And when you Create your exe file, again make sure that also goes in the same folder. Everything in the one place makes it easy to make a backup of the sequence that includes all the pieces.

After gaining some experienc in building AV sequences you might want to modify the folder structure. Within each AV Project x folder I have sub-folders called Images, Music, Soundtrack, Voiceover - but I'm a "control freak". I like a place for everything and everything in its place.

I have found the PTE file. It opens in Pictures to EXE and the images show up in the File List but they show as empty boxes in the Slide List.

It says the jpgs are not available. What is happening?

Almost certainly you have moved them to another folder, renamed them, deleted them or they were on a CD that is no longer in the CD drive or on a memory stick/card that is not plugged in.

Select one of the missing images in the Slide List and then look on the very bottom of the PTE window. You'll see the file name (full path info included) that it is looking for. If that path is on your harddrive then you must have moved, renamed or deleted the image for it to be not found now. If the drive/path is on removeable media then you simply need to load that media to access the image files.

Once you've found them I most strongly urge you to adopt the folder usage technique which I described in my previous post. If you do, you'll not have this sort of problem again.

Hope this helps

Try this test:

Click on the photo in the file list. Record the path spec at the bottom of the window (see diagram below). Then click on the same photo in the slide list - record its path spec. If they are different, then you have changed something on your hard drive or whatever was the original source of the photos.

post-215-1199800780_thumb.jpg