WnSoft Forums

Suggestions for Pan/Zoom timing settings ???

Bill Artman

Hello;

I am using PTE 5.11 and learning how to use pan and zoom. When I build a practice show with 5 or 6 slides the transition between the slides is not a gradual blend like the sample shows I have looked at. As an example, one slide pans in and stays on the screen then a couple of seconds later the next slide starts appearing. The sample shows I have seen have two slides on the screen at the same time for a few seconds in a really nice transition blend before one of the slides starts to move out of view. I hope I have written this so you can understand.

Can anyone give me some suggestions on that the time duration between the start and end keypoint should be and also what a good display time for the slide should be to work well with the two keypoints?

Thanks for your help!

Hi Bill,

Let's just examine this from the point of two slides and you can extrapolate from there. You pull the ending keyframe beyond the timeline (to the right) end for the first slide into that period of time where the second slide begins. You pull the starting keyframe for the second slide back toward the left off the start time and into that portion of time where the first slide is ending. This way you have an overlap with slide one still fading out while slide two is fading in.

Best regards,

Lin

Hello;

I am using PTE 5.11 and learning how to use pan and zoom. When I build a practice show with 5 or 6 slides the transition between the slides is not a gradual blend like the sample shows I have looked at. As an example, one slide pans in and stays on the screen then a couple of seconds later the next slide starts appearing. The sample shows I have seen have two slides on the screen at the same time for a few seconds in a really nice transition blend before one of the slides starts to move out of view. I hope I have written this so you can understand.

Can anyone give me some suggestions on that the time duration between the start and end keypoint should be and also what a good display time for the slide should be to work well with the two keypoints?

Thanks for your help!

Bill,

If I understand you correctly, you want to have the first image zooming in and then want the second image to zoom in as the first one is zooming out. Something like this perhaps?

Test_Overlapping_Zooms.zip

Hi Bill,

You can change the timings on the fade displays to longer than the 1500ms (1.5 second) default. Three seconds works pretty well with a slide which is set to display for around 10 seconds. Also this effect works better with movement for the slide fading out still happening so that there is a smooth transition with both slides in motion simultaneously. By pulling the keyframe start time for the second slide back into the stop time for the first and pulling the stop time for the first forward into the stop time for the second you get a nice ovelap of a few seconds.

Here is a sample exe file along with a zipped PTE which you can examine to see the timings, etc.

http://www.lin-evans.net/p2e/sampleoverlap.zip

Best regards,

Lin

Bill,

If I understand you correctly, you want to have the first image zooming in and then want the second image to zoom in as the first one is zooming out. Something like this perhaps?

Test_Overlapping_Zooms.zip

Ronnie;

I looked at your zip file and yes that is what I am trying to do. I would like there to be more of a blend between the images - both images would stay on the screen together a little longer when they were transitioning. In Lin's post right after yours his example is perfect.

I have read your tutorials on Pan and Zoom - they are very good and helped me to understand how to create pans and zooms. I need to make them blend better.

Hi Bill,

You can change the timings on the fade displays to longer than the 1500ms (1.5 second) default. Three seconds works pretty well with a slide which is set to display for around 10 seconds. Also this effect works better with movement for the slide fading out still happening so that there is a smooth transition with both slides in motion simultaneously. By pulling the keyframe start time for the second slide back into the stop time for the first and pulling the stop time for the first forward into the stop time for the second you get a nice ovelap of a few seconds.

Here is a sample exe file along with a zipped PTE which you can examine to see the timings, etc.

http://www.lin-evans.net/p2e/sampleoverlap.zip

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin;

Thanks very much for your additional response. I looked at the sample 3 image show - your photography is great!! The sampleoverlap example is 100 percent exactly what I am trying to accomplish - the slide movement is perfect and the transition blends are perfect too. I will study the timings in the other zip file to see if I understand that.

February 29th you responded and said:

"You pull the ending keyframe beyond the timeline (to the right) end for the first slide into that period of time where the second slide begins. You pull the starting keyframe for the second slide back toward the left off the start time and into that portion of time where the first slide is ending. "

I am trying to do that but I am having trouble understanding how or where to move the keyframes beyond the timeline to the right and pulling the starting keyframe to the left off the start time. I am sure that once I understand how to do it, it will be simple. Hopefully the zip file that shows the timing will help me understand. A short tutorial movie would be most helpful!!

Lin, I am a Professional Photographer and I have been using PTE for several years and it is absolutely the best and this forum is second to none. I really want to figure out the pan and zoom the way your example shows. When I show a portrait client a slideshow of their session I want to use the pan and zoom as it looks very professional and I am sure some of my compeition is also doing this too. Most of my PTE slide shows contains up to 60 images. I really wish Igor would add a pan and zoom Wizard, etc. to make creating pans and zooms easier and faster. Even when I figure out how do it, I am thinking it would take a long time (several minutes) to create 30 or 40 pans and zooms in a 60 image slide show. I shoot alot of portraits and weddings and I just think it would be very time consuming. Maybe I'm wrong??

Tom from California, one of the forum members - I am sure you know him has created a really slick random pan and zoom generator which really works well - I have used it several times. The problem though with a totally "automatic" generator such as Tom's is some of my images are cut off half way through the person's head, etc. because the generator didn't realize the composition of the image. With that said, Tom's generator is still very good.

Lin, I really appreciate your help. I will look at the timing zip and post to let you knoe if I understand what you are doing.

Thanks again - I apologize for the long post. Have a great week!

I, too, downloaded Lin's example and have studied it. You can simply add keypoints by clicking on the "+" button and then drag the keypoint outside the bounds for the slide's timing.

But I'm wondering... can't you get the nice overlapping dissolve by simply giving an image (or series of images) long transition times...eg, 3-4 seconds and total slide durations of something like 5-8 seconds? When I load 3 images into a test program, give them all 9 second durations and specify the transition timing to be 4 seconds it sure produces a nice blended transition. I'm not sure that this is easier than Lin's method but it seems more intuitive to me.

Good luck.

Bill,

When you try out Bruce's suggestion you might also like to try setting the image duration and transition time to be the same. If you set a long duration e.g. 10 seconds or more, this will give a slow dreamy feel to the sequence.

Bill,

When you try out Bruce's suggestion you might also like to try setting the image duration and transition time to be the same. If you set a long duration e.g. 10 seconds or more, this will give a slow dreamy feel to the sequence.

With the proposal that you extend the keypoint beyond the time limit of slide1 and into slide 2 to give extra dissolve time, if slide 2 were to be blank, have an object of nil opacity, or a very small object, then if I have understood the technique correctly, it is suggested that slide one object would continue to appear in the blank space of slide 2. I cannot get this to happen. Am I losing the thread.

To get a cross-fade you need to not only extend the ending keyframe of slide one past the timeline limit for slide one and beyond the start time for slide two (to your right) but also pull the beginning keyframe for slide two back before the ending timetimeline for slide one (to your left). Use at least a three second fade on each and at least a four or greater second display time for both.

click on link below for PTE sample and executable sample made from PTE in zipped format:

http://www.lin-evans.net/p2e/samples.zip

Best regards,

Lin

With the proposal that you extend the keypoint beyond the time limit of slide1 and into slide 2 to give extra dissolve time, if slide 2 were to be blank, have an object of nil opacity, or a very small object, then if I have understood the technique correctly, it is suggested that slide one object would continue to appear in the blank space of slide 2. I cannot get this to happen. Am I losing the thread.

• 2 years later...

Hi Lin;

Thanks very much for your additional response. I looked at the sample 3 image show - your photography is great!! The sampleoverlap example is 100 percent exactly what I am trying to accomplish - the slide movement is perfect and the transition blends are perfect too. I will study the timings in the other zip file to see if I understand that.

February 29th you responded and said:

"You pull the ending keyframe beyond the timeline (to the right) end for the first slide into that period of time where the second slide begins. You pull the starting keyframe for the second slide back toward the left off the start time and into that portion of time where the first slide is ending. "

I am trying to do that but I am having trouble understanding how or where to move the keyframes beyond the timeline to the right and pulling the starting keyframe to the left off the start time. I am sure that once I understand how to do it, it will be simple. Hopefully the zip file that shows the timing will help me understand. A short tutorial movie would be most helpful!!

Lin, I am a Professional Photographer and I have been using PTE for several years and it is absolutely the best and this forum is second to none. I really want to figure out the pan and zoom the way your example shows. When I show a portrait client a slideshow of their session I want to use the pan and zoom as it looks very professional and I am sure some of my compeition is also doing this too. Most of my PTE slide shows contains up to 60 images. I really wish Igor would add a pan and zoom Wizard, etc. to make creating pans and zooms easier and faster. Even when I figure out how do it, I am thinking it would take a long time (several minutes) to create 30 or 40 pans and zooms in a 60 image slide show. I shoot alot of portraits and weddings and I just think it would be very time consuming. Maybe I'm wrong??

Tom from California, one of the forum members - I am sure you know him has created a really slick random pan and zoom generator which really works well - I have used it several times. The problem though with a totally "automatic" generator such as Tom's is some of my images are cut off half way through the person's head, etc. because the generator didn't realize the composition of the image. With that said, Tom's generator is still very good.

Lin, I really appreciate your help. I will look at the timing zip and post to let you knoe if I understand what you are doing.

Thanks again - I apologize for the long post. Have a great week!

HI Bill

I am interested in your use of the Random pan and zoom generator , where do I get one? I have just started using PTE having used proshow gold before,this original program has a "random slide motion" button which can be used for all the slides in the slide show, then the motion can be individually adjusted later.

It seems to me that to do individual slide motions for all the slides would be very time consuming,but your comments are most welcome

kind regards

michael_h