WnSoft Forums

Zoom question

smitinbeeld

I want to use the zoom animation on a few of my slides. Alle my slides ar 1024 by 683. The should stay in that size. When I zoom in on al slide the slide becomes bigger than 1024 by 683. I sthere a way to zoom in on an image and that the image outsied stays the same?

Regards

Jan

Hi Jan,

Zooming in doesn't change the 1024x683 pixel size - that is fixed by your slide in the slide list. What happens when you zoom in is that you are looking at a smaller portion of the original 1024x683 image and filling the screen with that porton of the image. The pixel size of the original file is not altered.

I suspect what you are seeing is that there no longer is a "border" above and below your image. If you are trying to maintain that border which represents the difference in aspect ratio between your monitor and your digital image aspect ration, then you need to use a mask.

A mask in the relevant sense is simply a file with a cut-out or transparency of the same aspect ratio as your 1024x683 file. If you are familiar with Photoshop or Pixbuilder, etc., it's very easy to make one by first creating a new colored (any color you desire for a background) background then overlay this on a transparent layer then simply cutting out the desired aspect ratio and save the result as a PNG file.

You then place this file in PTE and use it on each slide as the "main" image and your individual slides as the "object". With the mask on the upper layer, anything you do in the way of zoom-in on the object will keep the black border above and below providing you use black as the mask color.

If you could be more specific about what you are trying to achieve perhaps we could help point you in the right direction.

Best regards,

Lin

I want to use the zoom animation on a few of my slides. Alle my slides ar 1024 by 683. The should stay in that size. When I zoom in on al slide the slide becomes bigger than 1024 by 683. I sthere a way to zoom in on an image and that the image outsied stays the same?

Regards

Jan

Hi Lin,

More specific. All my picture are 1024 by 683 (the same ratio as my camera. When using zoon on a picture it zoom over 683 vertical to to 768 an my next slide is again 1024 by 683. That gives an effect i didn't like.

What you say is:

Make a black picture background in PS 1024 by 683 make another one in PS Transperancy. Do I combine them then in PS? I got a black picture then

Jan

Create a 1024x768 black mask in PS with a 1024x683 cutout. Save as a PNG 24 file and put it over your 1024x683 image in Objects and Animations. Make sure that it is not "attached" to your original image in a parent child relationship.

Be aware that if you are going to zoom any image in a 1024x768 show by, for instance 200%, it needs to be twice as big.

E.g. if you want to zoom in to a 1024x683 portion your start image shoud be 2048x1386.

DaveG

I think you have just to put the format at 15/10 PC, it must be enough, if I have well understand your problem.

Hi Jan,

I'm still not absolutely clear on what it is that you are trying to achieve.

There are three ways to display an image with PTE. All these descriptions without zoom: First is "Fit to Screen" so that whatever display resolution monitor your audience might be using the image is enlarged to fit the screen horizontally. If their monitor is a 4/3 ratio (four times wide by three times tall) then there will be a black stripe at top and bottom with no black on either end. Next is "Cover Screen" which means that the image will be enlarged to fit the vertical aspect so there will be no black on top or bottom. In this mode there "may" be black on the right and left depending on the individual aspect ratio of the display device being used. For example, if they have one of the new wide screen systms they will see no black at top or bottom but will see black on the right and left. Finally, there is "Original" where your image would be displayed at 1024x683 regardless of the display resolution of the viewer's monitor. If their monitor was set to 1024x768 then there would be a small black stripe on top and bottom. If their monitor was set to 1600x1024 then there would be a black border all around.

When you zoom in or out on an image the image "must" be made to appear larger or smaller on the screen regardless of the settings of the display device. Zooming in means you want to make a portion of the image look closer. In order to do this when the image is being displayed at 100% of its resolution (in your case 1024x683) then the program must temporarily interpolate the image to make it appear larger. This does not change your original image it simply creates a new image which displays as close as you want it to according to the amount of zoom you have selected. It's not possible to display the original image larger (closer) than the full original dimensions without actually interpolating it but the "zoom" is a new image. As many as 60 or more of these images are created for each second of viewing your slideshow.

Now if you want the black stripes to "remain" above and below the image you must create the mask as I described in order to provide the black stripes. You could also just create a couple black rectangles right in PTE and position them above and below to serve as a mask. Again, this is not keeping your image from being enlarged, it's only hiding that portion of the image which extends into the black border above and below 683 pixels.

If your concern is loosing image resolution by enlarging, then provide PTE with larger originals. For example, if you want to do a tight zoom on faces, etc., without loosing image quality then use a higher resolution setting for your originals. PTE will downsample them to the "fit to screen" so that the sides fill the horizontal aspect of your monitor, then when you zoom in tight on the faces and do not exceed 100% size of your original (for example if you used 1600x1200, etc.) you will not loose any image quality on the zoom.

If I'm preparing a slideshow where I know my audience will be viewing it on a 1024x768 display and I want to zoom in tight on only a few images, I will use 1024x683 or 1024x768 originals for all "other" slides and use the original from my higher resolution camera for only those images which I need to zoom in tight on.

The steps to create a mask are as follows:

Open Photoshop. Click on File then New then set the Background Content to Transparent. Set the size to 1024x768. Next you will see a transparency which looks like a b&w checkerboard. Next choose the paint bucket and black color set to "0,0,0" for the RBG colors and paint the transparency with this black. Next draw a rectangle exactly 1024x683 with the rectangular marquee tool and once you have it centered press the Delete key on the keyboard and save this as a PNG file taking the defaults in Photoshop for the save.

Next follow Dave's advice.

Best regards,

Lin

Hello Dave,

Thanks for you quick answer but it's not very clear to me, maybe it's the lanquage? I hope so.

Making a mask? You mean File New and fill it with black? I think not because I can't make a cutout in such a Background?

Jan

Create a 1024x768 black mask in PS with a 1024x683 cutout. Save as a PNG 24 file and put it over your 1024x683 image in Objects and Animations. Make sure that it is not "attached" to your original image in a parent child relationship.

Be aware that if you are going to zoom any image in a 1024x768 show by, for instance 200%, it needs to be twice as big.

E.g. if you want to zoom in to a 1024x683 portion your start image shoud be 2048x1386.

DaveG

Good advice from JPD - this has been mentioned a few times.

The advantage of the mask, however, is that it allows you to "stroke" the cutout (not everyone likes this!!) and any zooming etc is contained within the stroke line(s).

Without using the mask, if the image is "stroked" and zoomed, the stroke line is lost in the zooming.

Another advantage of the mask:

Make the mask 2000x1500 with a 1024x683 cutout.

Disable scaling of images and make your mask "original" size in O&A.

Now your 1024x683 show will remain that size (with a black surround) even on a 1920x1080 monitor.

DaveG

• 4 weeks later...
Good advice from JPD - this has been mentioned a few times.

The advantage of the mask, however, is that it allows you to "stroke" the cutout (not everyone likes this!!) and any zooming etc is contained within the stroke line(s).

Without using the mask, if the image is "stroked" and zoomed, the stroke line is lost in the zooming.

Another advantage of the mask:

Make the mask 2000x1500 with a 1024x683 cutout.

Disable scaling of images and make your mask "original" size in O&A.

Now your 1024x683 show will remain that size (with a black surround) even on a 1920x1080 monitor.

DaveG

I have just been following the advice in this section and particularly the quoted bit above. I was having trouble as my intent was to use the animation bit of PTE to scan portrait images rather than have size changes in my sequence. The advice seemed to work well - then I copied all the work from my desktop machine to my laptop!

Obviously - a silly thing to do!!!!

What I have now found is that I need different setting for the start and end positions of the animation!! Remember, I am using exactly the same files - images and masks and the .pte file - that worked fine on the desktop machine. I don't have to change the zoom, just the start/end position for the animation.

Has anyone any idea about what is happening here.

I was trying to end up with a show that would run at 1024 x 768 on any monitor, with a black surround if it had a higher resolution. This seemed to be what the quote above suggested was possible - a sequence that would run on (more or less) any monitor at or above the mask hole size.

Ken.

I just tried it again from scratch to prove (to myself) that it works.

I created a 4:3 Fullscreen show on my 1024x768 monitor. In SCREEN make sure that you tick DISABLE SCALING.

When you add the mask in O&A set it to ORIGINAL in COMMON. You can then copy and paste the mask to all images (making sure that it does not "attach" itself to another image).

You will not be able to see the mask in O&A or when you run PREVIEW on a 1024x768 monitor.

Create an EXE file. Run it on a 1280x1024 or similar monitor and you will see a black mask surrounding a 1024x768 cutout.

Any zooming of the images will be contained within the mask.

You seem to be suggesting that you are transferring the PTE file? Why?

Just create the EXE file and transfer that.

DaveG

I just tried it again from scratch to prove (to myself) that it works.

I created a 4:3 Fullscreen show on my 1024x768 monitor. In SCREEN make sure that you tick DISABLE SCALING.

When you add the mask in O&A set it to ORIGINAL in COMMON. You can then copy and paste the mask to all images (making sure that it does not "attach" itself to another image).

You will not be able to see the mask in O&A or when you run PREVIEW on a 1024x768 monitor.

Create an EXE file. Run it on a 1280x1024 or similar monitor and you will see a black mask surrounding a 1024x768 cutout.

Any zooming of the images will be contained within the mask.

You seem to be suggesting that you are transferring the PTE file? Why?

Just create the EXE file and transfer that.

DaveG

What you suggest is exactly what I did. The desktop screen is 1600 x 1200 and the file worked fine there. The laptop is 1280 x 768. When I ran the .exe file to test on the laptop, I noticed that the top of one particular shot was missing in the scanning process. (It's easy to spot when the top of a big wheel isn't shown!) The only way to check what was happening was to transfer ALL of the files to the laptop and see what was happening. That is when I found the cause of the problem!

It seems to be impossible to build a file that actually does what is supposed to happen.

I'm starting to wonder if it is a graphics card problem - since I can't think of anything else. The desktop machine has an NVidia GeForce 5700 card and so can use 3D acceleration. The laptop has just the integrated Intel card and I'm not sure what that can do. I left the box ticked (for 3D accel.) as I haven't noticed any problems before.

Ken.

What I have now found is that I need different setting for the start and end positions of the animation!! Remember, I am using exactly the same files - images and masks and the .pte file - that worked fine on the desktop machine. I don't have to change the zoom, just the start/end position for the animation.

Has anyone any idea about what is happening here.

I was trying to end up with a show that would run at 1024 x 768 on any monitor, with a black surround if it had a higher resolution. This seemed to be what the quote above suggested was possible - a sequence that would run on (more or less) any monitor at or above the mask hole size.

I am not sure to well understand, my english isn't very good, but I think that you must be sure that all your pictures are in original mode and in pixels position, so that you will have the same thing on all screens. (With a black part around for hight definition screen)

You will need a mask for zoom, pan and so on. Another method is the one used by BBdigital : a windowed mode.

I am not sure to well understand, my english isn't very good, but I think that you must be sure that all your pictures are in original mode and in pixels position, so that you will have the same thing on all screens. (With a black part around for hight definition screen)

You will need a mask for zoom, pan and so on. Another method is the one used by BBdigital : a windowed mode.

Thank you very much for the reply. I have finally got the sequence working properly - and it wasn't the English, just my reading ability. What I had done was to set the images to 'Original', but omitted the 'In Pixels' bit. Correcting that error has fixed the problem.

As an aside to an earlier bit of the conversation, I copied the files from Desktop to Laptop as part of my back-up regime. It was incidental that it then allowed me to edit the sequence on the laptop to help isolate the problem.

Thank you again for your help.

Ken.

I have uploaded a brief demo of the use of a mask to maintain the size of a show across varying sizes of monitor resolutions. Feedback would be appreciated from anyone with a monitor resolution GREATER than 1280x1024.

http://www.mediafire.com/?g18y1mlmzzb

Options settings:

Screen: Fullscreen 4:3 ratio – Disable scaling of main images

Mask is 3500x1500 with 1024x768 cut-out. Set at ORIGINAL in COMMON MODE in O&A.

Example 1 – This is what happens when zooming with the above settings (without mask).

Example 2 – Mask applied with guide lines for 1280x768; 1680x1050; 1920x1080 monitor resolutions. If your monitor is 1024x768 you obviously will not see these! I am only able to check up to 1280x1024 and on this size of monitor only the guide lines at the extreme left and right are in view because of the show being 4:3 and not 5:4.

Example 3 – Same as Example 2 but without the guide lines.

Example 4 – This shows a slightly different method of transitioning between a 3:2 landscape format image and a 3:2 portrait format image using a mask. The mask is not essential unless the transition is combined with some PZR effects.

Example 4 is not for the faint hearted and some AV purists will be outraged. However, it does show what is possible with such a versatile programme as PTE.

DaveG