WnSoft Forums

Menu Buttons

Mike Reed

Hi All

When I do a show I use a wallpaper image on which I superimpose buttons which are programmed to run the show from the file wherever it is stored. This has always worked well up to v5 Betas however now that I have v5.1 clicking on a button just returns me to my desktop. I have checked that the instructions in the common tab of the objects and animation window are correct. Does anybody have any idea why this is happening?

Mike

Mike,

I'm presuming you have set the Common tab action to be "Run application or open file" - Right?

Try specifying just the file name of the target show (e.g. AVSeq1.exe) with no drive or path information. Then ensure that your menu exe and all the button driven exe's are in the same folder. Keep the exe filenames short with absolutely no special characters - just alphas and numerics.

This should eliminate your problems. It's what works for me.

Mike,

I'm presuming you have set the Common tab action to be "Run application or open file" - Right?

Try specifying just the file name of the target show (e.g. AVSeq1.exe) with no drive or path information. Then ensure that your menu exe and all the button driven exe's are in the same folder. Keep the exe filenames short with absolutely no special characters - just alphas and numerics.

This should eliminate your problems. It's what works for me.

Yes Peter, however I discovered that the box in the Common tab where you search for the programme file did not always allow a search facility so I reloaded PTE 5.1 and that seems to have resolved that problem. I used to run the menu from the Preview button but having spoken to a colleague have tried turning the menu into an Exe file and it seems to work from there. It just means that I shall have to keep binning the exe files, as I make a new menu every time I do a show.

Mike,

Glad to hear that you've resolved your problem

Peter

I thought that I had until I went to give a show yeaterday and the same problem arose. It seems to be somewhat intermittant for one minute all is well and the next PTE insistes on returning me to the desk top. I will also ask Technical help to have a look at this.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Peter has requested that you post a zipped copy of your project files, if you willo do this I will also take a look to see if you have missed something.

However, you state that the problem is intermittant - sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. This suggests that it is not a problem within PTE but that the problem might exist on your computer system. Are you running Vista or XP?

If you would prefer to send you zipped project via email then please send it to: My Email:

Ron

Hi Mike,

Peter has requested that you post a zipped copy of your project files, if you willo do this I will also take a look to see if you have missed something.

However, you state that the problem is intermittant - sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. This suggests that it is not a problem within PTE but that the problem might exist on your computer system. Are you running Vista or XP?

If you would prefer to send you zipped project via email then please send it to: My Email:

Ron

Hi Ron

I have sent by separate e-mail the zip file. I am using XP pro. The problem only seems to have arisen since downloading V5.1 Thanks for your offer of help.

Mike

Hi Ron

I have sent by separate e-mail the zip file. I am using XP pro. The problem only seems to have arisen since downloading V5.1 Thanks for your offer of help.

Mike

The problem still persists when using v5.1 so I have reloaded v4.9 and saved in a separate file. I therefore use this to run the menu without a hitch and it is far less time consuming.

Mike

Mike,

You say Quoted:..."When I do a show I use a Wallpaper image"...

This may be a stupid question, exactly what do you mean by 'Wallpaper Image' ?

What is the source of this Image ?...Is it a Screensaver Image ? or have you

imported this Image from the Web ? or do you mean one of your own Photo Images ?

Brian.Conflow.

Mike,

Could you please confirm that you did get the e-mail I sent you after you sent me your zip file off-forum? If you did receive my reply, could you also please confirm that you have made the changes that I suggested? Finally, please confirm that, even with those changes made, you still have the problem of the return to desktop.

For the benefit of others reading this thread and considering joining in the discussion: In the zip file that Mike sent me, the Menu sequence was set to "Repeat show until ESC is pressed" and was NOT set to "Wait for a key press or mouse click to show next slide".

I recommended that he change the latter and also select "When show ends keep last slide in show on screen".

In my experience, the options that I recommended work very well for a version 5 menu-type, manually-driven show.