WnSoft Forums

Vista

coecolin

[Hello All,

I have recently bought a new Dell Inspiron 1520 laptop. Unfortunately The OP system is Vista. I had the same problem as many others on this forum, I followed the advice and downloaded the patch and that solved that problem. I have created a menu for showing my slide shows and works OK until the last slide of each sequence when it always flashes back to the menu instead of going straight from the last slide straight to the menu. This flashing does not happen with my other laptop which is running on XP home. I have tried disabling the hardware acceleration box and every thing works fine except the animation is all jerky, with the box ticked the animation is OK. I notice in Lin & Jeff’s manual this box needs to be ticked for animation anyway. I feel that I can not use this new laptop for my slide shows until I can get this problem sorted. As far as I can remember the shows I used the patch on seem to be OK. It is the new ones that I made since that suffer this problem. I have made a sequence up on my main computer and transferred it to the laptop via a memory key, a CD and also made a sequence on the new Laptop and all suffer this problem. I hope I have I have put this over clearly. I am hoping that somebody out there may have a solution. I am using PTE version 5.1

Regards,

Colin.

font=Arial]

[Hello All,

I have recently bought a new Dell Inspiron 1520 laptop. Unfortunately The OP system is Vista. I had the same problem as many others on this forum, I followed the advice and downloaded the patch and that solved that problem. I have created a menu for showing my slide shows and works OK until the last slide of each sequence when it always flashes back to the menu instead of going straight from the last slide straight to the menu. This flashing does not happen with my other laptop which is running on XP home. I have tried disabling the hardware acceleration box and every thing works fine except the animation is all jerky, with the box ticked the animation is OK. I notice in Lin & Jeff’s manual this box needs to be ticked for animation anyway. I feel that I can not use this new laptop for my slide shows until I can get this problem sorted. As far as I can remember the shows I used the patch on seem to be OK. It is the new ones that I made since that suffer this problem. I have made a sequence up on my main computer and transferred it to the laptop via a memory key, a CD and also made a sequence on the new Laptop and all suffer this problem. I hope I have I have put this over clearly. I am hoping that somebody out there may have a solution. I am using PTE version 5.1

Regards,

Colin.

font=Arial]

A good choice. I have the same machine, a Dell 1520, with a 1.8 GHz dual core CPU and an Nvidia 8600M GT GPU, 3 GHz ram, and the 1680*1050 screen. I ordered mine from Dell about 5 months ago, and I had the choice of Vista, or XP Home or Professional, and I went with XP Pro. No way was I going to have Vista, with its reported incompatibilities, not only with PTE but numbers of other programs as well.

If your machine is still under warranty, you could ask Dell about replacing the OS with XP, which is still readily available and is frequently offered as an alternative when buying new machines. The fallback position would be to buy a copy of XP and install it yourself - or get it installed - but the downside is it would have to be a clean install, i.e. erase the entire drive first, install XP and then load all your programs. Tedious, but probably worth it for the improved reliability.

Regards, Colin no. 2

PS: I am totally satisfied with my 1520, an all-round great machine.

Colin,

What you are experiencing is a known problem running PTEv5 on Vista. As at PTEv5.1 there is no solution to the "flashing back" to the desktop. As I understand the situation, from previous threads that have discussed this problem, the root cause is to do with the way in which Igor and his team have programmed control over the graphics GPU under Vista. Igor has, in previous threads, indicated that he accepts that his team need to resolve this problem. I am hoping that the resolution will come in v5.2 which, again based on Igor's replies to other threads, he and his team are currently working on. At present he has not indicated any date for the release of the first beta of this new version.

Rest assured, if Igor says a problem will be fixed, it gets fixed. We'll just have to be patient. Past experience shows that the wait is well worth while!

I don't think Colin2's suggestion of buying and installing a copy of XP would work. The Vista installation includes not just the operating system but all the drivers for graphics, sound etc. I would suggest asking Dell if you can exchange the laptop for a similar model but with XP.

Tom

Hello All,

Regards,

Colin.

Colin 2, Peter & Tom.

Many thanks for your speedy replies. As I bought the laptop from PC World I doubt that I would get very far with them, but I could try.

Many thanks once again.

Colin.

• 5 months later...

Hi Peter,

Thanks for that I have Vista Laptop and got the flashbacks,the laptop is 16:10 1280 x800 and by doing as you sugested

with the only change needed was from 1024 X 768 to 1280 X 800 and whoopee no flashback.

I dont use a projector so everything is fine.

Thank you again for your wonderfull help.

Ray