WnSoft Forums

pte image stops

I have just bought a new laptop and am having problems trying to run pte sequences I have run successfully on a lower spec desktop. I have bought a Dell Vostro 1510 with 256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS graphics card.

What happens is the sequence sometimes stops on an image. The soundtrack continues to the end with the same image displayed. At the end of the soundtrack it returns normally to the desktop. I am running XP Pro on the laptop.

The only clue I have is that sequences seem to run normally when I run the laptop from the battery but not when I run it attached to the mains. However this could be a coincidence. I haven't done more than a half a dozen runs.

The two sequences I have been trying were made on a 4 yr old Dell dimension 2400 with on board graphics and made using pte v4.48.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Bryan,

You wrote:-

..."I have bought a Dell Vostro 1510 with 256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS Graphics Card"....

Are you sure of your facts....Because the Dell Vostro 1510 comes complete with an inbuilt

Intergrated Graphics Card (It is built into the Motherboard.) and can't be removed !

You can't fit a GForce 8400GS into that Laptop ~ because its too big. See Photograpg below.

Brian.Conflow.

post-1416-1210049580_thumb.jpg

Hi Bryan,

If you click on "Start" then "Run" and type in "dxdiag" and then click on "O.K" the computer will run a diagnostic. When it finishes click on the "Display" tab and report back on what it says...

Best regards,

Lin

Can't do this yet Ken. Have to wait till my wireless router arrives later this week. However the sequences I have tried have run successfully on several other computers. I'll give Beechbrook a go later.

First of all let me thank you all for trying to help with this annoying and perplexing problem.

I do definitely have a 256 MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS (64 bit) Graphic card in a vostro 1510 laptop. I am reading GeForce 8400M GS from the nvidia control panel on the laptop at the moment. Now whether this is some cut down version of it, I can't tell or whether Dell have "sqeezed" it in and that is the problem!!

I have run a few other of my sequences on the laptop all of which run quite happily on my Dell dimension 2400 desktop with integrated intel graphics. One old sequence from about 3 years ago has now run without fault 3 times on the laptop. In all the others the image stops in various places and the sound carries on to the end. I have noticed that the sound occasionally slows down slightly and then catches up or there is a slight glitch in the sound on the sequences that don't run properly.

I have run the dxdiag software and that does not show a problem.

That is where we are at present. I'm going out to cut the lawns!

Hi Bryan,

you may try the following.

Remove music files from the pte-show and try again. In the past there have been many problems with integrated soundcards with miscellanious software, causing interruption or totally misfunctioning.

When the show runs perfect without music, you may look at your sound settings or new drivers for your integrated soundcard.

If it doesn't, try with starting TaskManager before starting the show and look at the used systemressources when you stop the show after it begins to loose transitioning. Maybe it's a bottleneck in memory, then inspect your pagefile for optimal performance (e.g. defragmentation) and stop other memory-consuming programm like virus-scan, etc. and try again.

Hope something helps to solve the problem.

Greetings, Frank

O.K. Ken and Lin I've run dxdiag again and hit the display button. The following is returned:

Device:

Name:NVIDIA GeForce 8400M

Manuf:NVIDIA

Chip Type: GeForce 8400M GS

DAC Type: Integrated RAMDAC

Approx Total memory:512MB

Current Display mode: 1280X800 (32bit) (60Hz)

Monitor :Default monitor

Drivers:

Main driver:nv4_disp.dll

version:6.14.0011.7431 (English)

Date: 04/03/2008

WHQ Logo'd:Yes

Mini VDD:nv4_mini.sys

VDD:n/a

DDI version:9(or higher)

DirectX Features:

DirectDraw Acceleration:enabled

Direct3D Acceleration Enabled

AGP Texture Acceleration Enabled

Notes:

No problems found

To test DirectDraw functionality, click button

To test 3D functionality click button

Does this tell us anything?

Bryan,

My apology ~ I was on to Nvidia and Dell about that Laptop Graphics "Card"~

In fact its the Nvidia Chip-Set which now replaces the origional Chip-Set that

usually comes pre-installed on the Laptop. I was beginning to wonder was I

dreaming, because one can not install a "full-size" Graphics Card into a Laptop.

It is indeed the Type:- Nvidia 8400/M/GS Graphics Chip-Set in the Laptop and

I now wonder does it have the latest Graphic-Drivers installed.

Brian.Conflow.

Hi Bryan,

Yes, it gives you the driver version and date which can be referenced on the NVIDIA web site to see if there are any updates available. From the date (April 3, 2008) it would appear that this is a very new driver so if a check with NVIDIA shows it to be the latest version that can be perhaps ruled out as a possible issue.

It may be worth while running the tests as described under "notes" (to test 3D functionality) just to be certain that everything operates normally. If no problems are detected with the tests then we can look elsewhere for the culprit.

The suggestion to run on of the shows without sound is a good one. As strange as it may seem, sound drivers can often influence video so a quick way to test that possibility is as suggested to recompile one of your shows which malfunctions without background music or sound and run it. If it runs smoothly and doesn't stop then half the possibilities have just been eliminated.

Best regards,

Lin

O.K. Ken and Lin I've run dxdiag again and hit the display button. The following is returned:

Device:

Name:NVIDIA GeForce 8400M

Manuf:NVIDIA

Chip Type: GeForce 8400M GS

DAC Type: Integrated RAMDAC

Approx Total memory:512MB

Current Display mode: 1280X800 (32bit) (60Hz)

Monitor :Default monitor

Drivers:

Main driver:nv4_disp.dll

version:6.14.0011.7431 (English)

Date: 04/03/2008

WHQ Logo'd:Yes

Mini VDD:nv4_mini.sys

VDD:n/a

DDI version:9(or higher)

DirectX Features:

DirectDraw Acceleration:enabled

Direct3D Acceleration Enabled

AGP Texture Acceleration Enabled

Notes:

No problems found

To test DirectDraw functionality, click button

To test 3D functionality click button

Does this tell us anything?

The saga continues! I 've tried what you all recommended. The images still stop if no soundtrack. Running from task manager shows plenty of memory etc. Running from battery with no mains attached runs successfully with slight glitches on the sound.

I've just transferred all the images and soundtrack for one sequence from my desktop to my laptop and built the exe file on the laptop with PTE v5.1. It runs smoothly even with the mains switched on! Any one know what's going on?

I'm still suspicious of the sound though. There are very slight occasional glitches that are not on the original soundtrack built with audition.

• 2 weeks later...

Just for the sake of completeness and in case anyone else has similar problems here is the solution!

As soon as I connected the laptop to the internet. Auto updates immediately loaded 39 updates. Immediatley the image behaved perfectly with no stopping on either battery or mains power. I don't know which of the 39 updates did the trick but one of them did. I had already checked I was using the latest drivers.

However there were still problems with the sound occasionally slowing down particularly when there were rapid image transitions. My son got to the bottom of this for me. I had already switched off power management options on the laptop but unknown to me there is a "Powermizer" system with the nVidia graphics card. As soon as we swiched this off the sound was and is perfect.

Maybe I can get back to making sequences now!