WnSoft Forums

Display waveforms for all soundfiles

I'm making a show where there are many individual soundfiles linked to slides. It's very frustrating that I can't see the waveforms in the timeline unless there is one over-arching track associated with the project. I can't generate such a soundtrack until I've done all the busy work, and the busy work requires a waveform display. Catch 22.

So at the moment I have two choices: (1) to make a little show for each short slide sequence and then transfer the animation timing to the big show by hand (because transferring points only works for shows with the same number of slides), or (2) make a silent track the length of the show and drop the individual tracks into it about where I think they should be and twiddle with those positions until it works right. Aargh.

So my request is to be able to see waveforms no matter their length or linkage. (and, in a perfect world, be able to move audio tracks around like slides)

• 3 weeks later...
So my request is to be able to see waveforms no matter their length or linkage. (and, in a perfect world, be able to move audio tracks around like slides)

I would appreciate such a feature, too. In timeline mode, the waveform-button only works when there is sound assigned to the overall show. It would be great if it was active when there is no sound assigned to the overall show - but to any picture and when clicking that waveform button, the waveforms starting at the individual pictures are displayed. This would help all who need to work with precise timing to picture. I think the case where music is assigned to the overall show and to individual pictures as well would needs not to be perfectly handled in a next version, for a first improvement it would be sufficient to only display the music assigned to the overall show.

Volker

Hello Argonaut, Volker,

have you ever thought of organizing, editing, shifting etc. your audio files (in wav-format) within an Audacity project (in a non-destructive way). You can export this project at any time (as mp3-file) to the location where the corresponding PTE project expects to find its background music. In this way, Audacity works as kind of audio plug-in for PTE.

Best regards,

Xaver

Munich