WnSoft Forums

Raserize Text

jevans

I recently was caught out by using a new font in a show which was not present on our club's computer. Because of the nature of the new font, when projected at the club, the resultant text was out of focus and too large. Afterwards I realised what the problem was and that I should have rasterized the font before completing the show.

I have never had to do this before and so looked at the rasterize command (which incidentally I forgot to describe in the user guide). If you select the text object and then click on the rasterize button, you have to save the result as a ".png" file.

The question is - Do you then replace the existing text with the .png file version? I cannot test this as I need another computer to check the result.

Hi Jeff,

PTE does is for you. Notice that the filename changes to "text.png" or whatever so the program automatically senses that you have rasterized the text to PNG and substitutes all appropriate animations , etc., associated with the original text with the new png object. However, note that all changes made in wording, etc., must be done before rasterization because a stand-alone object is created so rasterization should necessarily be the "last" step. This also means that if you create second or third text objects you will have to give them different names because the default name is "text.png" so the program will ask you if you want to "overwrite" the original. If you do overwrite, then you will have issues. I guess there is no perfect solution but the way it works is very convenient because you can then take the png fle into Photoshop or other editor and modify it as you deem necessary with special "effects", etc.

Best regards,

Lin

I recently was caught out by using a new font in a show which was not present on our club's computer. Because of the nature of the new font, when projected at the club, the resultant text was out of focus and too large. Afterwards I realised what the problem was and that I should have rasterized the font before completing the show.

I have never had to do this before and so looked at the rasterize command (which incidentally I forgot to describe in the user guide). If you select the text object and then click on the rasterize button, you have to save the result as a ".png" file.

The question is - Do you then replace the existing text with the .png file version? I cannot test this as I need another computer to check the result.

Jeff,

I see that Lin got there before me ~ but anyhow here is another alternative...

First I would imagine you would have to ask yourself 3 questions:-

* Is the Text a 'cut & paste' job super-imposed on an existing Image and than Saved-As a whole Image ?

* Is it Text Object pasted on to an existing Image within the Object Editor utility ?

* Is it a live Text word string such as you would find in a Microsoft Word document ?

The fast way Home is to download a copy of the Font from your own PC,<40kB. Copy it to a Memory Pen

and upload it to the Clubs' PC. Alternatively lets know the 'Font-Name' and someone will send you a Copy of it.

If you want to do that ~ download a Font-Editor from www.webattack.com and let it search for the Font then

download it to a Memory Pen and upload it to the Club PC ~ I'm forced to do that on a regular basis and it is

better that way than having to 'mess-around' with Show corrections. In the past and nothing to do with PTE...

I was obliged to 'Re-Font' a Technical Manual for a Client and we used a 'Word Editor Raster' to do the job,

never again, and this was only 20 pages long. As Lin said, it is a last resort, at least that was my experience.

Link:- http://www.snapfiles.com/screenshots/fontpage.htm

Brian.Conflow.

Jeff,

The rasterization option, by default, will save the .png file in the same folder as the .pte file. All my AV sequences have their own "home" folder and within each of those there is a sub-folder called Images. My way of working with Objects (all kinds, not just text objects) is, within each AV sequence, to give them meaningful and unique names using the Common tab within O&A. This means that when you want to rasterize the text objects (and this should be the last step in the AV production process), there will not be any duplicate names to worry about and so no risk of over-writing. At the point of rasterizing you can, in any case, give the file a name of your choice and save it in a folder of your choice (it's a standard Windows file save screen that you're working with at that point). I save all my text .png files into the Images sub-folder of the relevant AV sequence.

Having rasterized your text, should you want to change the words, you just untick the rasterize box, edit the text, and re-tick the rasterize box. This time around the file is saved back over itself.

The only time that things get a bit fiddly is when you have exactly the same text on several images. I'm building a sequence at present about the old ironstone mines in the East Cleveland area. I have an image that shows all thirty of the mines plus seven villages. Part of the sequence shows how these mines came into being and then passed away over a 120 year period. This information is spread over twelve different images. When I come to rasterize these text items I will want to have just one .png file for each mine name, even though it appears on up to twelve images. I will need to deliberately overwrite files in order to establish the correct link from the text objects to the rasterized file name. But once corrected, should I want to change the text or its font, I'll only need to change one copy of it and re-rasterize. That new rasterized file will then be used on all twelve images.

Hope that's clear enough for you to understand.

The thread that Henri refers to can be found here: http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index....=scrolling+text

Henri,

Just in case you don't know how to include a link to a thread, here's what to do:

- Find the desired thread in the forum (I had to do a Search for "Scrolling text" to find yours)

- Right-click on the thread's title

- From the pop-up list select Copy Shortcut

- Now open your reply post using FASTREPLY, ADDREPLY or REPLY and simply Ctrl+V to insert the link

- Finally edit your reply around the link

A similar approach can be used to provide a link to a specific post within a thread. In this case, Right-click on the post number that is displayed at the top right of every individual post and select Copy Shortcut from the pop-up list.