WnSoft Forums

YouTube

BabuWriter

I have made a PTE show which is beautiful and converted it to an avi with mp3 --- which is also beautiful, and of the sort that YouTube supposedly likes -- but Youtube just garbles the sound. Been thru all the FAQs etc on the Youtube site and from their point of view I am doing everything right. So why doesn't it work? I have background music that sounds ok, but the voice part -- which I originally made on Audacity and exported as an mp3 before adding it to the project -- is very faint and garbled. Have conveted the avi into various other formats before uploading and have the same problem.

Is there an underlying codec issue somewhere? What do I need to do differently? This project was made on an earlier version of pte and I can't redo it. I guess I could rip the audio onto Audacity and add it back into the video, but how do I avoid this problem in future PTE projects?

We need more specifics to be helpful - what audio codec was used for the vocal part? What amount of compression, etc.?

What size was the original AVI in pixel dimensions? From your description it sounds as if there may be an issue of the codec you used not being widely available. Do others also hear garbled sound when the Youtube version is played on other computers?

Give a link as Ken suggested and some specifics and we should be able to unravel the mystery.

Best regards,

Lin

I have made a PTE show which is beautiful and converted it to an avi with mp3 --- which is also beautiful, and of the sort that YouTube supposedly likes -- but Youtube just garbles the sound. Been thru all the FAQs etc on the Youtube site and from their point of view I am doing everything right. So why doesn't it work? I have background music that sounds ok, but the voice part -- which I originally made on Audacity and exported as an mp3 before adding it to the project -- is very faint and garbled. Have conveted the avi into various other formats before uploading and have the same problem.

Is there an underlying codec issue somewhere? What do I need to do differently? This project was made on an earlier version of pte and I can't redo it. I guess I could rip the audio onto Audacity and add it back into the video, but how do I avoid this problem in future PTE projects?

give us the link to youtube so we can hear what you are talking about

ken

uploading it again now... will take while cuz it's over 100mb. meanwhile on my blog you can see how it looks on DailyMotion. http://TheLemonPrincess.blogspot.com. Possibly it is a compression problem with YouTube because whether I use my original avi or download the movie from Daily Motion and then send it to YouTube as a Flash... same problem. Grrr. thanks for any advice. Will give you the YouTube link as soon as it is ready.

Hi Babu (do you have another name we could use? - LOL)

You said you did this with an "earlier" version of PTE. All PTE shows are forwardly compatible so if you have the original PTE file there is absolutely no problem with recompilling the show using current code.

best regards,

Lin

uploading it again now... will take while cuz it's over 100mb. meanwhile on my blog you can see how it looks on DailyMotion. http://TheLemonPrincess.blogspot.com. Possibly it is a compression problem with YouTube because whether I use my original avi or download the movie from Daily Motion and then send it to YouTube as a Flash... same problem. Grrr. thanks for any advice. Will give you the YouTube link as soon as it is ready.

ok... fiddled with it endlessly and the result is always the same:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9p60BOcHV8 is from an avi using an mp3 soundtrack

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkZDFPEGAS4 uses a PCM

meanwhile my original avi still sounds and looks great on my XP system and on Vista. Meanwhile Nero crashes on XP when i try to make a new movie and Quicktime does too when i try to convert. Just upgraded Quicktime to 7.5 and still it crashes. arrrgh.

Hi Babu (do you have another name we could use? - LOL)

You said you did this with an "earlier" version of PTE. All PTE shows are forwardly compatible so if you have the original PTE file there is absolutely no problem with recompilling the show using current code.

best regards,

Lin

can't recompile because of a hard drive crash. i just have the avi now. have i given enuf info? gspot says my avi has the following characteristics (my partner made the one with the mp3 audio but it looks and sounds exactly the same):

129 MB (132,382 KB / 135,559,168 bytes)

Note: 408 bytes unneeded bytes at end of file

AVI v1.0

Video: 102 MB (79.67%)

AVI Overhead: 147 KB (0.11%)

Audio: 26.1 MB (20.22%)

WMV3 WMP v9 (VC-1 Simple/Main)

30fps

640x480

PCM audio - 44100Hz 1411 kb/s tot (2 chnls)

the main music rack is clear on both files

but

there sounds like whispers in the background

when converted to mpg the second track and played with wmp11 it is louder - the first line "babul writer~" and then it fades away to the garbled whisper

so it seems the main instrumental track takes the glory from the speech track

ken

the main music rack is clear on both files

but

there sounds like whispers in the background

when converted to mpg the second track and played with wmp11 it is louder - the first line "babul writer~" and then it fades away to the garbled whisper

so it seems the main instrumental track takes the glory from the speech track

ken

yes, that is precisely the problem. in the avi, the sound is fine. you can hear the spoken word part over the music. so why isn't it working when i upload it? especially since it works fine on DailyMotion?

Hi Babu,

Maybe you should just try doing it all with PTE? The new PTE version 5.5 deluxe has the ability to output both AVI, MPEG 2 and DVD. You get a free upgrade to version 5.5 and all you have to pay for is the Video Builder upgrade portion. You can simply download 5.5 from this site and your old unlock code will still be good (assuming you have it or the old PTE still installed somewhere).

After looking it's not possible to determine which codec was used to encode the audio for your AVI but perhaps the 44,100 kpbs 16 bit stereo audio rate "may" be too much for Youtube. I suspect you can take the AVI into one of the more popular video software (Sony Vegas, etc.) and strip the audio then re-do it with a different codec and perhaps more compression such as 22,050 8 bit mono rather than 44,100 16 bit stereo for the Youtube version.

It should be possible to correct the AVI using the proper software. PTE can definitely output Youtube compatible code - many are doing it. I would consider using PTE to make future Youtube shows and leave Nero and Quicktime out of it.

If you want to post a link to the original AVI in zipped format I'll have a look and see if I can strip the audio for you and repost.

Best regards,

Lin

ok... fiddled with it endlessly and the result is always the same:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9p60BOcHV8 is from an avi using an mp3 soundtrack

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkZDFPEGAS4 uses a PCM

meanwhile my original avi still sounds and looks great on my XP system and on Vista. Meanwhile Nero crashes on XP when i try to make a new movie and Quicktime does too when i try to convert. Just upgraded Quicktime to 7.5 and still it crashes. arrrgh.

yes, that is precisely the problem. in the avi, the sound is fine. you can hear the spoken word part over the music. so why isn't it working when i upload it? especially since it works fine on DailyMotion?

I get the same results on YouTube. However, playing on your blog is loud and clear. Is the avi the same as the one you placed on YouTube? What I find interesting is that converted PTEs to avi can play on the Web. I hope we see more PTE samples on the Intenet

Hi Babu,

It sound fine on my computer at Daily Motion as well so probably just some snafu with a cache or possibly a codec issue on Ken's machine which is not an issue on mine.... That's one of the reasons we must be very careful which codec we choose to maintain optimal compatibility across many systems.

Lin

strange. the blog (Daily Motion) movie sounds fine on all of our computers.

"which is also beautiful, and of the sort that YouTube supposedly likes -- but Youtube just garbles the sound. Been thru all the FAQs etc on the Youtube site and from their point of view I am doing everything right. So why doesn't it work? "

something not kosher here

it plays for him ok at one site but not the other

it is garbled at both sites for me

i have been to youtube many times and have never had a bad sounding file

am using vixy.net to convert it to avi -- no sound

and

http://keepvid.com/

it will be mp4 -- sound is better but the background music is so loud i cant make out what the lady is saying

but it is not garbled

ken

I get the same results as Lin.... sounds fine on all sites EXCEPT YouTube.

Arrrgh. I did rip the audio and add back in as a new movie... no use! no use! my little brain is going to explode. Every TouTube version I make just sucks! I do remember doing something weird with the narrration. It started as mono, then I split it, and inverted one track of the stereo to give it a more 3 dimensional feel against the background music. If you listen to the original it sounds like the narrator is standing in front of the orchestra, closer to you, rather than simply mixed in.

The answer? KISS. Keep it simple stupid... and maybe next time I won't have this problem. Still... I have no clue what happens on YouTube to mess it up so badly.

Arrrgh. I did rip the audio and add back in as a new movie... no use! no use! my little brain is going to explode. Every TouTube version I make just sucks! I do remember doing something weird with the narrration. It started as mono, then I split it, and inverted one track of the stereo to give it a more 3 dimensional feel against the background music. If you listen to the original it sounds like the narrator is standing in front of the orchestra, closer to you, rather than simply mixed in.

The answer? KISS. Keep it simple stupid... and maybe next time I won't have this problem. Still... I have no clue what happens on YouTube to mess it up so badly.

When you upload a video to YouTube video is recompressed to FLV and audio is reduced to mono and transcoded to a lower bit rate - probably 64 kps.

This may be the cause of your problems. If you haven't, I would suggest first reading YouTube's own help info on the subject and the numerous entries on the Web on this subject. I think you really already have a good start - KISS is generally the moist likely solution to most problems!

Good Luck,

Scotty