WnSoft Forums

Auto-Save of projects

I know we had some discussion on this subject during the v5.5 beta program as a result of Lin and I both hitting a memory constraint issue in the middle of a heavy O&A edit session. Igor kindly implemented a basic "Auto-Save" feature. As the discussion continued I seem to recall him saying that he understood the need to think through a more comprehensive solution.

I'm offering these thoughts of mine as a start point for a discussion to formulate a consensus view on the features that the "new, improved" Auto-Save should have:

The user should be able to specify:

- what name the auto-save file has (default suggestion: <project>-auto-save-sysdate-systime)

- what folder the auto-save file is placed in (default suggestion: the same folder as the project file currently uses)

- how frequently the auto-save is to happen (default suggestion: 10 minutes)

- what is done with the auto-save files when PTE is closed down (default suggestion: if the project is saved at close down, the auto-saves are deleted; if the project is not saved at close-down, the auto-saves are retained)

If PTE is closed down with auto-save files retained, then when that pte project is opened next time, a prompt should come up offering the user all the available auto-save files for that project. When the user selects one of them, then as part of that file open processing, the user should be asked if they want this file to assume the normal name for the project.

Those are my thoughts. What views do other members have?

Hello Peter et al,

Personally, I have gotten myself into the habit with most programs I use (like word processors, spreadsheets, image editors, and of course PTE), with each material change to whatever I'm doing, to hit Ctrl-S, the 'save' key with most programs. Consequently, I don't really see the need for autosaving as a built-in feature. Once it becomes a habit to hit Ctrl-S, one actually does it far more frequently than any autosave would do.

Just my tuppence worth (and worth every penny!)

Colin

I don't really see the need for autosaving as a built-in feature. Once it becomes a habit to hit Ctrl-S, one actually does it far more frequently than any autosave would do.

Colin when working in many different applications over time I have often saved my work and at some point latter realised I am on the wrong path, so wishing to return to an earlier state I pull up the file and find that point is lost forever as the save has overwritten the file at a point past the one I wish to work on.

Save overwrites the file, (unless "save as" is used).

Auto-save saves to a new file at regular points, thus leaving the state of the work intact at that time. The very reason an auto-save function is required and really should exist in all good software applications.

Another halfpennies worth, making tuppence halfpenny in total.

Peter you have made some very good suggestions, I will think them over and see if there is anything else need and comment back a little latter.

Colin,

Thanks for your thoughts. However, I'm in agreement with John's point. I have more than once embarked on a session of creativity with PTE and after perhaps an hour or more felt that I've gone down totally the wrong path. At that point I want to be able to abandon the entire PTE session, close PTE and re-open with the project in the state it was when I started that previous session.

Yes, this can be achieved by doing things manually. I could start every PTE session with a File...Save As... in order to capture the start point. But why should I have to focus my mind on the administrative details of file management? What I want to focus on is the flow of my creative thinking.

To my mind, a first-class piece of software will look after all the administrative things for me (once I've told it what to call things, where to put them and how often to do it) and will thus leave me free to get on with being creative.

I am familiar with Corel Draw which I have used for many years. In that prog its possible to set the time lapse for auto save but instead of an overwrite of the file it saves is a backup file with the suffix .bak. If ever the autosave version is required it can be loaded and used and then saved as any other file name. I find this most useful. Maybe this is the way forward.

Alan