WnSoft Forums

Youtube question

Lin Evans

Can you see the rain animation here or do I need to overemphasize the rain for the small avi? Suggestion - watch in "High Quality".... Will be up with link in 10 minutes from 7:44 pm mountain time 1/13/08

Up and operational now:

Link to exe for comparison:

http://www.learntomakeslideshows.net/sample/firestarter.zip

Youtube Snowglobe animation link:

Lin

Lin, The rain looks good to me. Also noticed the lightning and the plane! Did not notice any cloud movement though.

Very good! Thanks for sharing.

Howard

Hi Howard,

Thanks for checking! No cloud movement, the jet airliner passes behind and out of clouds but no real time to simulate cloud movement in short video.

Best regards,

Lin

Lin, The rain looks good to me. Also noticed the lightning and the plane! Did not notice any cloud movement though.

Very good! Thanks for sharing.

Howard

Re:Rainfall

Hi Lin,

You put in monumental work on that one ~and I hope thats appreciated ~ I know I do, it's a great job.

Cloud movement would add more realism but thats another days' work, I've no idea how you can do that !!

Here are some 'stats' which may be of help to you:-

Size: Your Zip File 13.1 Mb.

Size: Your Exe File 13.9 Mb.

Size: U-Tube File 1.18 Mb (downloaded)

From 'Uploading' back to 'Downloading' and resolving the Re-Play Video to an FLV File: Compression Ratio is:- 12 to 1.

To me thats seems to be on the hi-side of things - its pushing the limits of the Codecs but most of that seems to be

happening on the U-Tube side of things. From experience I have found U-Tube tends to 'over-compress' large Images

with the resultant loss of resolution. Just a thought....

PC Detail: Hewlett-Packard Laptop. 5500 Series. XP-Home. Intel 945 Bridge-Chipset with HP-UX Management Suite.

2.Gb Ram - 2.Gb.Page File Memory - 2.Gb Virtual Memory - CentrinoDuo 2x1.3 Gb Processors - Fujitsu Sata HD 80 Gb.

No problems what so ever with your Exe nor with U-Tube. ~ All work perfectly.

Keep up the good work,regards...

Brian.Conflow.

Ken, Brian,

Thanks for checking!

Brian,

Yes, too large files but unfortunately I know of no way to make them smaller without a total re-do of the entire show specifically for Youtube. Hopefully, in the new version 5.6 of PTE the Youtube formula will do some of the steps which are manual right now.

The major problem with size is the rather huge "rain" png files. Igor has had some suggestions which I will try later on but the problem is to get sufficient speed of movement over a long enough time period to make a realistic animation. To do that requires an extremely "long" (in the vertical plane) file size. Of course it would be quite easy to cut a great deal off the width for a Youtube size AVI and also possible to resize the originals down to the native size which "may" or may not help because the AVI creation already resamples things down proportionally.

I'll have to experiment and see whether having the original in smaller frame will help. Unfortunately doing a "crop" won't work correctly because that leaves me with rain drops of a proper size for a 1200 pixel width diaplay in a 400 pixel width file. This leaves me with a resample which is, I think, essentially what Youtube is doing along with sound track compression and conversion to mono sound, etc.

It's just tough to get decent looking fine detail animations in such a small video format. Add to this the fact that many don't know you have a choice of high quality or "regular" (read poor quality) video on youtube so looking at tiny snow-flakes or rain-drops on poor quality avi is somewhat dissapointing - LOL.

A friend who lives close by does a good bit of video on Youtube and his video conversions from his video camera look better than what I get but then he has larger subject matter (closer) than these small detail animations so that may prove to be the relevant difference.

Hopefully the bandwidth for Youtube will eventually be increased to allow 640x480 size video which is probably the "breakpoint" for half-way decent images.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Auser,

I haven't tried Vimeo but the primary reason for posting on Youtube is the extreme exposure for PTE, etc. I have hundreds of gigabytes of storage on my own site server so posting large high-quality media isn't really the issue but rather more of how many visitors visit the site daily. Do you have some idea of the traffic at Vimeo?

Best regards,

Lin

Lin,

Have you tried Vimeo for your videos. You can post HD content there and the quality is good....much better than youtube.

Just a thought

Lin,

Many thanks for your personal reply, its appreciated. I do understand that dilema posed by U-Tube and in particular

its 'over-compression' of large Files which essentially are needed to do things like your Rainfall Test. If I come across

anything which may help you, I shall let you know immediately. In the meanwhile I will be 'ferreting' around as U-Tube

holds a fasination for me because there are people out there whose Video Cameras seem to have been made for U-Tube,

of course you know that ~ but I don't know why ~ and I'm trying to find out ??

Regards,

Brian.Conflow.