WnSoft Forums

I think I got it!

okcjack

This issue has been driving me nuts.

I am trying to show PTE shows in a 32" 1080i HDTV. The first "problem" was clipping at top and bottom. I am burning on a DVD burner and linking to the TV with a Blu-Ray (Playstation 3) player.

Within DVD-Video Builder, the option screen, says: "Video options (720 x 480, 29.97 fps)

Also, Wikipedia states that: "DVD-Video discs use either 4:3 or anamorphic 16:9 aspect ratio MPEG-2 video, stored at a resolution of 720×480 (3:2) (NTSC)"

So, it would appear that that much of the 1920x1080 or 1280x720 image information is being discarded during the burning phase.

Even if I had a HD DVD or Blu-Ray burner, could DVD-Video Builder create a 720p or 1080i HD DVD?

Also, is it the "anamorphic" process that causes the size discrepancy on the HDTV screen?

If these assumptions are wrong, please explain as I want to produce the best videos for HDTV possible from PTE.

Actually, the Wikipedia statement captures the essence of the problem

"... anamorphic 16:9 aspect ratio ... stored at a resolution of .. (3:2)"

Here, 16:9 describes the displayed aspect ration, but that is never the stored aspect ratio on the disc itself. When authoring the DVD you need to be able to instruct it that the pixel aspect ratio is anamorphic 16:9. Then your HDTV should display it at 16:9 if that is also the display aspect ratio of your source images. This is covered in my HD Appendix of the unofficial user guide. I don't use Video Builder so I can't tell you how you achieve this using it.

"Even if I had a HD DVD or Blu-Ray burner, could DVD-Video Builder create a 720p or 1080i HD DVD?"

The current version cannot.

"Also, is it the "anamorphic" process that causes the size discrepancy on the HDTV screen?"

See my explanation above.

With Pinnacle Studio Plus, version 11.1.2, I was able to combine stills and video and write to DVD in AVCHD format (Blu-Ray HD equivalent)

The still images were 1280x720 of good quality. I had produced a DVD via PTE using the same stills. Comparing the display of both "shows" in a 32" 750p HDTV, using a Blu-Ray player, I didn't notice sufficient difference in quality to justify the time spent in preparing the AVCHD disk vs DVD.

Thanks for input.