WnSoft Forums

Screen Saver Advice Please?

DustyDesert

I'd like to offer a screen saver at the Fair coming up. So I have a real quick question...

What systems should I say it will work on? Not Macs, right? There just seems to be so many Windows platforms now, I don't know what to say.

Screen savers are new to me so any other advice you can throw my way, I'm ready!

~Cindy

This was in the FAQ in the help section of PTE.

Question:

What version of Windows is needed to run a presentation I have created with PicturesToExe?

Answer:

Windows 95/98, Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, Windows XP.

Question:

What are the system requirements?

Answer:

Minimum Spec: Pentium-100 (or similar AMD/Cyrix), 16 Mb RAM, 1 Mb Video card

Recommended Spec: Pentium-II 300 (or similar AMD/Cyrix), 32 Mb RAM, 2 Mb Video card, Sound card.

If you have not made many Screen Savers. A few ideas that I think will make it

something that people will use for a longer time are:

- No sound. If it is playing a song or music it will be get very old hearing it over and over.

- Loop Show "Repeat until Esc is pressed". If you don't It looks like a Glitch when it finishes and starts again.

Have Fun

cc

Do I create this as a .scr or an exe.?

If you want it to be a screensaver you should create it as a .scr

If someone does not want to make it a screensaver they can

still click on it and watch the show.

But any mouse movement or touch of the keyboard and the show will stop.

If you are puting it on a CD to give away, you could put one of each on the CD

This way they could watch it or make it their Screensaver.

I find with most people the hardest thing about Screensavers is telling them how

to install them. Most People I deal with know very little when it comes to moving

around the Dir on their computers.

cc

Hi Cindy :) ,

I make my scr images jpg 5 or sometime 4 and they look ok, but just experiment and see what looks good.

When I make my images in photoshop I resize them to 1024x768, you could choose 800x600, but I think most people are on the former nowadays. The I use image ready to optimise them, as if for a web site, then save at jpg quality 4 or 5.

For shows that will be projected I always save at best quality jpg, in photoshop that's jpg12.

Hope that helps.

Alan

That does help. Thank you. I had them compressed to 170-200 KB which was about 7-9 on the compression scale, and the show kind of struggled on my older computer. Then I compressed them WAY down. They looked the same on my old system but looked like crap on my new one. I want it to play on all systems but to look good on all. I'll compress to 4 or 5 and see what happens.

Thanks!

~Cindy

:D Cincy,

Just had another thought, if you are going to include any text then make sure you either use a common one that everyone will have, such as ariel, or include the font file on your cd with instructions to install. If your original font is not on the recipient machine then the machine will choose a font and the show won't loook the way you intended it.

Don't forget to put a credit in for picturs to exe, and their web address somewhere.

Alan