WnSoft Forums

Diagnostics log file possible

I don't want to complicate anything, but might it be possible for an EXE presentation to OPTIONALLY write out a log file when video card memory usage is too high or CPU utilization is too high? Basically I'd like PicturesToEXE to warn me when a presentation may be compromised (jerky transitions or movements or audio skipping) because of hardware issues. Information like what slide number and what the issue is would be very helpful.

Thanks.

Dave

As a concept I would support that Dave; but there is just one little catch. If the CPU is under stress, taking away some cycles to prepare and write a log file entry is going to make matters worse! Presumably you envisage this log file option being something that we could turn on towards the very end of the development of our sequence, as a final "operational readiness" check?

And how would it work for those who build on one machine and deliver off a different one? I build on a desktop system and deliver off a laptop. The laptop has on it only executables - no pte files. Yet it is the laptop which is most likely to hit any problems.

And then there is the case when the executable runs on a "strange" PC at a club or at an exhibition or competition. How then?

I'm not asking you to solve these problems. I'm airing them so that there can be a discussion around this entire topic. It's a good topic.

regards,

Peter

Good questions. As a programmer who has dealt with this exact issues, let me explain what I would do. How it fits into PicturesToEXE, I don't know. :blink:

Either the logging code gets included in all EXE files (only if it is small enough) or it is included in the EXE optionally when the EXE is created.

The logging would be off by default if always included in the EXE files. In addition, the logging could be enabled by either a command line switch or a secret keyboard press on the first slide (or something like that).

Log messages ("audio data lost" or "transition shortened to catch up with music" or whatever) would only be generated only when an error (seen or unseen) has already occurred.

Log messages could either be written to the hard disk as generated (could create other speed issues) or maintained in memory until the presentation ends. The latter could take very little memory if done correctly (< 100 bytes per message).

As how to handle development on one machine and showing the presentation on another system, you could either generate two EXEs (one without the logging code and one with the logging code) or have a command line switch to trigger the logging only when you need it.

Just my thoughts...

Dave

The important things there are:

- you're a programmer or ex-programmer so know what you're talking about

- and you've given it some serious thought

I hope Igor picks up on this one and starts a dialogue with you. The capability and functionality of PTE is growing all the time. Increasingly on the forum we are dealing with new members who have a problem getting the full function of PTE to work on a platform that is, frankly, not up to the job. To have a tool that can help quantify that would be a big asset, I'm sure.

regards,

Peter