WnSoft Forums

MPEG4 files

afink01

Greetings:

I am new user to PTE, but have enjoyed it immensely and find it to be a very robust program. I have downloaded the v5.6beta in hopes of taking avail of the ability to generate high resolution MPEG4 files for playback on computer using Quicktime (for example). I have made two such files, one at "medium" resolution and one at "high" resolution. I have burned the files to a CD (using Nero). Unfortunately, I have found the both files hang up when played in Quicktime. This problem manifest regardless of whether I try to play the file directly from the CD or first transfer the file to the computer and then try to play it. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Aaron

Thanks, Ken. Although a bit more info I just discovered may help or further muddy the waters. I went back to my home computer and tried playing the original MPEG4 file created by PTE and it works absolutely perfectly with QUICKTIME!!! I then tried the CD on which I had burned the file and the file hangs in Quicktime. So the problem does not seem to be with the player, but rather seems to relate to the file burned on the CD which I burned with Nero (I did this at 16x). I wonder if I should try burning it at a slower speed, or if I should try using a different program to burn the file? What do you think?

Aaron

Thanks, Ken. Although a bit more info I just discovered may help or further muddy the waters. I went back to my home computer and tried playing the original MPEG4 file created by PTE and it works absolutely perfectly with QUICKTIME!!! I then tried the CD on which I had burned the file and the file hangs in Quicktime. So the problem does not seem to be with the player, but rather seems to relate to the file burned on the CD which I burned with Nero (I did this at 16x). I wonder if I should try burning it at a slower speed, or if I should try using a different program to burn the file? What do you think?

Aaron

I would try diagnosing the disk quality with Nero CD-Speed (correct name?) program. This will read the disk and report any physical problems with the disk. If that checks out, then your problem is with your software or hardware.

Colin

Aaron,

There's nothing wrong ~ you have forgotten that MPEG4 Sound Files are 'DRM Protected' and in virtually

all circumstances are 'Copy-Proof' when 1:1 copies are attempted. You may of course play the origional

for your own entertainment purposes but they are specially 'encoded' to prevent unauthorisied copying.

You can attempt to Re-Play them whilst at the same time Re-Record the Sound-File into another format,

but it doesn't always work particularily if you are using 'Quicktime'.

The 'Link' below may help you find a 'work-around' solution:-

http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=MP...earch&meta=

Brian.Conflow.

Aaron,

There's nothing wrong ~ you have forgotten that MPEG4 Sound Files are 'DRM Protected' and in virtually

all circumstances are 'Copy-Proof' when 1:1 copies are attempted. You may of course play the origional

for your own entertainment purposes but they are specially 'encoded' to prevent unauthorisied copying.

You can attempt to Re-Play them whilst at the same time Re-Record the Sound-File into another format,

but it doesn't always work particularily if you are using 'Quicktime'.

The 'Link' below may help you find a 'work-around' solution:-

http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=MP...earch&meta=

Brian.Conflow.

Brian:

Does your reply mean that PTE generates a "DRM protected" MPEG4 file? I am not sure this is the problem, nor offers the solution. The MPEG4 file I am referring to is the one generated by PTE in which my images and the audio were encoded and mixed. The music files I added to the presentation (subsequently incorporated in the PTE-generated MPEG4 file) were mp3 files. Am I missing something?

Thanks.

Aaron

I would try diagnosing the disk quality with Nero CD-Speed (correct name?) program. This will read the disk and report any physical problems with the disk. If that checks out, then your problem is with your software or hardware.

Colin

Colin:

Disk checked out fine with Nero. Problem also occurs with the MPEG4 files when copied to USB device. I remade the MPEG4 files last night and the problem occurred again on several other computers. Another user indicated that the problem related to DRM protection in the MPEG4 files, but I can't imagine that PTE generates protected files -- or am I mistaken. Anyway, I am still seeking a solution, but appreciate your help. Let me know if you have any other ideas.

Aaron,

Could it be that your mp3 files contained DRM data and that this has gone into the MPEG4 file and is now the cause of your problem?

Are you using the mp4 player that Igor recommended? see here: http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index....ost&p=58039

regards,

Peter

Peter:

I will try decoding the mp3 files and see if that makes a difference. I am using Quicktime, but the file I am attempting to copy and place elsewhere plays fine in Quicktime on my home computer, where it was generated. thanks

Peter:

I will try decoding the mp3 files and see if that makes a difference. I am using Quicktime, but the file I am attempting to copy and place elsewhere plays fine in Quicktime on my home computer, where it was generated. thanks

Peter:

Another point. The MP3 files in question were ripped from CDs that I own. Doesn't that mean that they are free of DRM?

I had another thought..All the other computers where I have tried to run the MPEG4 file generated by PTE have been Windows XP machines. My home computer, where the MPEG4 file is resident on my hard drive is a Windows VISTA machine. Could that make a difference? Thanks again.

Aaron

Peter:

Another point. The MP3 files in question were ripped from CDs that I own. Doesn't that mean that they are free of DRM?

I had another thought..All the other computers where I have tried to run the MPEG4 file generated by PTE have been Windows XP machines. My home computer, where the MPEG4 file is resident on my hard drive is a Windows VISTA machine. Could that make a difference? Thanks again.

Aaron

No, track ripping does not mean you are free from DRM. That's one of the actions DRM is trying to combat! And Yes, Vista will/might make a whacking great difference! I used to track rip on XP with no problems. As soon as I switched to Vista I struggled to get tracks that were acceptable to PTE - because of the DRM data. I now use Exact Audio Copy which seems to do what I want. I use it to download to a FLAC format file and then import that into my sound editor, Audacity, and export the MP3 from there. EAC can rip straight to mp3, but I still the occasional glitch if I do it that way. So far, touch wood, I've not had any problems if I step via FLAC first. It adds only a few seconds to the workflow.

return

Peter

Brian:

Does your reply mean that PTE generates a "DRM protected" MPEG4 file? I am not sure this is the problem, nor offers the solution. The MPEG4 file I am referring to is the one generated by PTE in which my images and the audio were encoded and mixed. The music files I added to the presentation (subsequently incorporated in the PTE-generated MPEG4 file) were mp3 files. Am I missing something?

Thanks.

Aaron

AAron,

I see that Peter has beaten me to it concerning DRM. You might not know that DRM Protection is "in-built"

within the Vista System and its Media Player and it's one reason why Vista is so hated by Commercial Users.

Peter spent some considerable time searching for a suitable utility to do this job - the 'Exact Audio Copy' program.

It's my understanding that the 'Vista DRM-System' applies a global law to all MPEG4 File's in assuming that

they are of Commercial origin and consequently applies 'copy protection' to them. Yes your Show will play on your

Vista PC because the Re-play Codec recognises the origional format of the Recording-Codec but this will not

be the case when you try to replay that File on another system such as XP even using 'Quicktime'.

The reason being that the MPEG Codec's on the XP will be very different to those installed on the Vista PC and I dare

to guess that you are not using the same version of 'Quicktime' on all the other 'Test PC's'.

(It's also the reason why Igor recommended a very Special Player to render the MPEG4 Files after much research).

Link:-http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8954

Finally MPEG4 has some 21 variants (for various purposes) and is still in Devlopment so there is no exact 'Standard'

that covers all applications.

(See Attachment)

Brian.Conflow.

post-1416-1226017223_thumb.png

If absolutely no other way is available to you it is possible to play the track on an external CD player and bring it into Audition/Audacity via your Audio card or a USB Interface. Although I use an Optical USB device I have to enter the Analogue domain between CD player and USB device in order to do this. If you system is sound and relatively hum free you will not tell the difference when converted to MP3 etc.

DaveG

If absolutely no other way is available to you it is possible to play the track on an external CD player and bring it into Audition/Audacity via your Audio card or a USB Interface. Although I use an Optical USB device I have to enter the Analogue domain between CD player and USB device in order to do this. If you system is sound and relatively hum free you will not tell the difference when converted to MP3 etc.

DaveG

Thanks all. I have EAC and have used it for many years. I will re-rip the files and see if that helps. BTW, the MPC Homecinema also seemed to help.

Aaron