WnSoft Forums

almost infinite zoom

pedro.silva

greetings!

i've been meaning to do this for a while, and finally did it. a very long zoom of a special place.

it's about 7mb, runs for 4 minutes, and can be found at http://webpages.fc.ul.pt/~pjns/Temp/memorial.zip .

it runs ok in my computer, but i would very much welcome your input, especially if critical (technical as well as artistic).

cheers,

pedro

Pedro,

A very simple and yet very moving tribute to all those who died. An excellent sequence - and one that does not need any music or voice-over.

Just one small suggestion: give some thought to slowing down the pan. I think the overall effect would be improved if you could get the apparent speed of the pan to be closer to the apparent speed of the zoom. For me, the pan moved faster than the zoom had done and so I felt as though I was being hurried along through that part of the sequence.

Also, during the zoom I saw some instances of interference patterns; but this might be an effect that occurs only on my system.

regards,

Peter

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Pedro

I lived in Portugal for 12 months so I can see the pathos the sequence expressed. You asked for citiique. I viewed at 1280x1024 and the screen had black bands top & bottom, I assume this was done deliberately to enhance the pan. The zoom had intermittent moire/shimmering every 5 seconds or so. I think the pan should have excluded/cloned over the doorway as this tended to break the spell generated by the enormity of the scene. Also it speeded up towards the end. For myself I would have included a muffled slow drum beat for the st.

I am using XP professional, sp3 4gb ram,Intel dual core processor, ATI Radeon Express 1250 Graphics card.

Regards

Yachtsman1.

thank you all for your feedback -- all comments taken onboard!

please allow me to be especially glad for lin's comment, as his zooms provided some of the inspiration.

i also see the moire-like interference patterns that come and go, but wasn't sure whether it just just on my machine. glad to know it will be virtually eliminated by recompiling with a new version, but i'll wait for the next "proper" version.

the black bands are due to the different aspect ratios of the monitors, not much that can be done about it, i think. the show was prepared for a 1.6 monitor (such as a 1280x800), which it should fill.

cheers,

pedro