WnSoft Forums

OFF-TOPIC

fh1805

I'm helping an octagenarian friend acquire basic computer literacy skills. He has a PC that runs under Windows98. This was a "hand-me-down" from one of his nephew's. It had previously been used extensively for game playing and the software had been deleted rather than uninstalled.

I'd like to clean the registry of what must be a mountain of clutter. Can anyone point me at a Registry Cleaning tool for Win98 (preferably a free one)?

regards,

Peter

I'm helping an octagenarian friend acquire basic computer literacy skills. He has a PC that runs under Windows98. This was a "hand-me-down" from one of his nephew's. It had previously been used extensively for game playing and the software had been deleted rather than uninstalled.

I'd like to clean the registry of what must be a mountain of clutter. Can anyone point me at a Registry Cleaning tool for Win98 (preferably a free one)?

regards,

Peter

Peter,

Give me a call on Messenger regarding a Registry Cleaning tool, I think I can help you.

Tom.

Peter,

As you say this is an old 'Hand-Me-Down' Machine ~ you do not state whether it's a Win'98 or Win'98.Se ?

they are two entirely different machines. Worse still many Programs have simply been deleted and this will give

problems and certainly will give you major headaches should you use any Registry Cleaner.

This PC is in serious trouble (not apparent to you) because there are many 'orphan' Dll's and Reg-Keys

and Ocx's not to mention dat.Files and other 'orphan-Files' associated with the OP.System which Reg-Cleaners

will simply strip out leaving you with a crippled System. Dont blame the Reg-Cleaners, these are great tools

once the OP.System has full integrity ~ your's doesn't, be careful !

There are 3 ways of doing this job:-

1)

Use 'Revo-Installer' to systematically clean up the PC ~ that takes about 8 hours after pre-prep. (Screen-shots below).

Revo can find the remnants of 'deleted' Programs and uninstall these and can also clean up Windows and remove 'junk'.

2)

Get an old Win'98 or Win'98.Se Install Disc and overwrite the old OP.System with a fresh Copy of itself.(Thats best)

Before you do that you will need to copy any Programs and Drivers needed for future usage ~ thats called pre-prep.

3)

Reformat the Drive and then install a brand new copy of Win'98 or Win'98.Se ~ again you will need pre-prep for Drivers etc.

Do not try to install any other Systems except Win'98 or Win'98.Se....the Firmware is not installed to support other Systems.

Hope this little bit of prudence will avoid 'looming' headaches.

Brian.Conflow.

post-1416-1229904562_thumb.png

post-1416-1229904579_thumb.png

post-1416-1229904592_thumb.png