WnSoft Forums

Suggestion for Caption Controversy

HaroldB

Igor,

Here is my suggestion for the caption feature. I think the programming of it is simple, and I think it will give everyone enough flexibility for what they want.

1. Have the "Caption of Window" field available in all cases (full screen and windowed mode). This should be the most minor change from beta #10.

2. Have the "Caption of Window" field default to Project Name. This is what it does in beta #10.

3. Allow the "Caption of Window" field to be blanked out.

4. If the "Caption of Window" field is non-blank, use it for the window title in windowed mode and for the taskbar name in full-screen mode. This is how beta #10 worked.

5. If the "Caption of Window" field is blank, use the current name of the EXE for the window title in windowed mode and for the taskbar name in full-screen mode.

I think these changes are very minor to PTE, and I think they will give everyone what they want :wub:.

Harold

Thank you Harold - You are suggesting similarly to my second preference, described in this post:

Bill's 2nd best preference - one caption box with flexible functionality

Here are some comments by your item number:

1. Yes, but two caption box scheme is best, most universal provision

2. The default is presently not the way you describe in beta #10 (nor #11) (needs work)

3. Yes

4. In beta #10 caption is also used in windowed show taskbar caption

5. This is partially there in beta #11, and FYI .EXE caption is also used in windowed show taskbar caption

Also, File-->New should clear the "Caption of window" box

FYI, Harold (& Igor)

My first preference is:

Bill's 1st preference - two caption boxes for full control

First or second preference would be great!

Dear friends,

I think this solution (beta #11) is after all a satisfactory solution, and I agree with Bill, who had said "I'm beginning to think we can draw blood from a stone with how much life we can breathe into this feature definition" (August 4, 02:43 AM, in "Question about displaying real file name").

This subject can be interesting, but are we sure it is so important?

Igor has a lot of improvements written in his "to do" list (for example, to replace the time-line with a sound waveform... - Oops, do you forgive me, Igor?... :wub::) ). Let him spend his time on these major improvements (or better on taking a little rest, at last...).

Guido,

Wise words as usual! :wub:

I agree that now that Igor has almost wrapped up this next official release, we all should call it a "wrap" too and move on. Unless, of course, there is something more important to add in (such as EXIF sorting, for instance?), it's time to move on.

However, no reason everyone's ideas can't be recorded and re-opened in the next release. :)

Guido,

I agree totally about there being more pressing/pass needs in Igors to-do list that requires his thought and attention. :)

Beta v11 current "Caption change" is somewhat satisfactory ... even though some control has been compromised.

But I can live with the current change. Sometimes we must adjust ... and sometimes we need to fill in the blanks (caption box) all by our selves ! :wub:

Bill, Guido, Al:

SURELY you guys understand that Quest For Perfection :wub::):)!

While I agree that there are more important changes that might be made in PTE, putting in the EXE name unconditionally in the Taskbar is a step (a tiny step, to be sure, but nevertheless a step) backwards :).

So while I wouldn't go as far as Bill's request for a New Field B), I respectfully maintain my suggestion.

Bill:

Be a pragmatist. Drop your suggestion for the new field in exchange for getting back what we had in earlier PTE releases plus using the EXE name if the Caption field is blank :D.

Harold (tongue FIRMLY in cheek, humming The Impossible Dream from Man of La Mancha :D)

Yah, I can live with beta #11 as long as I don't mind reverting to v4.10 beta #10 for most of my shows. (Not)

I need taskbar caption control for full-screen show, and this has been removed in beta #11. It's not just a gee-whiz need. I use the known caption to control the show along with other applications. Controlled and known taskbar captions are critical to correct function.

Did you know that when you go through PTE's setup.exe to install an older PTE version, that it requires a restart of Windoze, while for installing a newer PTE version it does not require restart? (W98SE)

Did you know that when you go through PTE's setup.exe to install an older PTE version, that it requires a restart of Windoze, while for installing a newer PTE version it does not require restart?  (W98SE)

Bill,

No, I did not know that :). And here's hoping that Igor restores the old feature in a way that works for us, and you do NOT have to install old betas!

Harold

Did you know that when you go through PTE's setup.exe to install an older PTE version, that it requires a restart of Windoze, while for installing a newer PTE version it does not require restart?  (W98SE)

But this doesn't happen in Win 2000 and XP, Bill.

I need taskbar caption control for full-screen show [...] Controlled and known taskbar captions are critical to correct function

If you need this feature, I think Igor will willingly restore it, as it is neither harmful nor noxious to anyone...

Igor, please!...

I use the known caption to control the show along with other applications. Controlled and known taskbar captions are critical to correct function.

I am neutral on this - as I have indicated, I would never have occasion to use the taskbar in full-screen mode and I imagine most of the forum members would feel the same.

In the meantime, rather than go back to old betas, you could advise your clients not to change their pte file names. I run into the same problem when I put shortcuts to my own shows, so I have to try not to change any file names.

Thanks everyone for the input and support. I will write a description of this feature in a new topic that incorporates everyones' input for a best compromise. It is fairly close to my 2nd preference and to Harold's summary, although not the same.

Hopefully that will put this baby to bed.