WnSoft Forums

Timeline oddity

JRR

Thanks Dave (and Ken)

That reference is essentially the same as the first one, except as you point out that they want me to re-set the acceleration every time I use PTE. As you say that is not all that practical, possible, but not that practical (especially closing everything I have open.

As mentioned in a post two above, I'll keep an eye on the computer performance and see if the setting of the hardware acceleration two notches lower is having any negative effects.

If it is, then I guess I may have to re-set it every time, or bite the bullet and switch to using auto scroll 1.

Thx again

Hi all

Adjusting the graphic card "Hardware Acceleration" 1 value downward

At first attempt it did seem to correct the issue and had smooth scrolling

However on second run it did not ?

Adjusting value down 2 notches

On this run we were back to square one

Adjust value 3 notches was a disaster!!!! your presentation will not run smooth at all and the scroll will run forwards and backwards.

I do not think adjusting the graphic card acceleration is a cure, as it is highly recommended that if there are no issues with compter leave it set as FULL

There are no computer problems, just one program PTE with 128MB video card. and smooth scroll with style 2

By adjusting the video card accelaration I think you are defeating the purpose of PTE " Hardware Acceleration " setting, as it requires FULL acceleration.

It was worth a try DaveG to see if related to scroll - suggestion much appreciated.

Jim

Looks like this will solve the issue and let me have my favourite Auto scroll style back, I'll just have to watch out and see if the setting change affects anything else.

Good to hear if it works on your end.

On a personal note I have only used the timeline occasionaly and times I have, it has been with the default style 1.

Jim, Igor has mentioned another release shortly, maybe something corrected will fix this problem without touching your graphic card accelerator setting.

He has made so many adjustments to the timeline possible something just got overlooked.

-----------------------------------------------

Just a note for thread info

Fullscreen

I can get smooth scroll with screen monitor set at

1024 x 768 - 1152 x 854 - 1280 x 864 with no problem that I can see

1280 x 1024 and above Fullsceen show is were the hesitation on scroll is noticable

Window Mode

Window mode 1024 x 768 - Hesitation

Window mode 800 x 600 - Hesitation

** So a few things do not add up.

** So a few things do not add up.

You're right Ralph.

512Mb card here - 1920x1200 Monitor - 1920x1200 project.

No hesitation on any of the three settings.

P.S. I transfered the whole project above from my desktop to my laptop with 64Mb graphics card and got the same symptoms as you. Altering the Windows HA did nothing for me.

The hesitation (STOP) always occurs at the beginning of a transition.

Are we back to the graphics card and its RAM?

DaveG

Dave

I would think a simple scroll of the timeline should not have any bearing on the graphic card - but at Fullscreen 1680 x 1050 my screen res. I guess its is possible.

Due to the fact as Jim and I have done - shrink the PTE interface to approx 1024 x 768 it is smooth

Another test

Under - Slide - I clicked " Reset Personal Settings of all slides ", this cancels all customized settings.

Project Options - checked " NO Transitions " ( we now have a bare bone show )

Scroll Type 2 runs perfectly smooth, - Fullscreen 1680 X 1050 - so it appears transitions are causing a burden and playing a part in the hesitation of scroll at this screen res.

Graphic card issue with larger screens or scroll bug with lower end card ?

Most 512MB cards I have looked at show a recommended maximum screen size - for instance

NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT - 512MB cards state maximum 2560 x 1600 screen, so here I have to think graphic card problem

However

I can view HD trailers 1920 x 1080 with no stutter. Run most of Lin Evans, JPD's and others example's of fansy .EXE's ( except for Lin's - Challenge Puzzle )

Run my own created 1920 x 1080 previous shows.

At last attempt I did have an issue with creating a MP4 at 1920 x 1080, but that did not surprise me. No problem with a (HD) 1280 x 720 High Quality

Now I am lead to think a Scroll Style 2 bug with PTE with lower end card ?

As mentioned in post # 28

My thoughts would be that in a Window Mode created show 1024x768 or 800x600 the Preview - using Scroll Style 2 should be perfectly smooth.

It does for first 4 slides before hesitation starts ? my images are all 1024 x 693

--------------------------------------------------------

Ken - refresh rate is set at default 60 Hertz, there are no other settings listed with this Samsung.

Changed many settings in PTE with no luck.

Well JJR, you certainly started something.

I tried adjusting the hardware Acceleration via settings (control panel) and found little difference and also turning off the same in the Project options Screen tab to see if that had the same effect. Again no difference to the stuttering.

I use Auto scroll 1 and will continue and be happy.

However regarding the miniplayer pause issue that has been noted I have found that a right click over the player ( I use a pen and pad so I don't even have to touch the pad) takes me directly into a full screen preview. This is wonderful. Perhaps this is a shortcut that others use all the time? It is new to me so I'm grateful to have found this.

Maybe Igor gives us too many choices and options 'Scroll 1' and 'Scroll 2' etc....? Is there any real difference in either in the production and creation of a sequence? I don't know.

Anthony

Well JJR, you certainly started something.

Is there any real difference in either in the production and creation of a sequence? I don't know.

Anthony

Anthony:

In reality there is no real benefit of Scroll 1 vs Scroll 2, except Scroll 2 was on offer from a long time ago and I got used to it and I like it. :D

If it had never been offered I would never be the wiser. (Of course the same would apply to all the users who like Scroll 1, if it had not been on offer, they would be used to using scroll 2. )

It is all what you get used to, but yes you can teach an old dog (me) new tricks and I can learn to live with Scroll 1 only, but not until I have a kick at the cat at keeping scroll 2. (Too many animals in here :huh: )

Hawk mentioned : It does for first 4 slides before hesitation starts ?

I find the hesitation started halfway down the timeline. ie, if the timeline showed 62 seconds of width, the blue triangle flowed smoothly until it reach the 31 second mark and then the hesitation started, and when it got 31 seconds from the end, it smoothed out again.

If I zoomed in the timeline and reduced the 62 seconds to something like 40, then it started to hesitate at 20 seconds.

Ken:

Refresh rate is 60, that is all I have on offer.

Jim

Problem solved I hope.

Run PTE interface fullscreen, ( size of monitor ) adjust the Mini Player window smaller and let us know your findings.

NO HESITATION - smooth scroll Style 2 - ( 128MB video card )

post-14-1234499642_thumb.jpg

DaveG - could you try the same with 64 ram video card laptop.

Timeline runs smooth on my end at 1680 x 1050

If fine on your system I am still not sure if it is a graphic card problem or PTE

My normal view with hesitation

post-14-1234496332_thumb.jpg

Ralph,

I copy your results with regard to my 64Mb card - You can reduce the size of the mini-player view to a position where it will play with NO hesitation.

I am not sure, though, what you are saying about larger screen sizes and cards with more RAM.

The attached screen shot shows my 512Mb card and 1920x1200 screen config with the mini-player screen in OPTIMUM (MAXIMUM) size and there is NO hesitation with Auto-scroll 2.

DaveG

post-2488-1234519576_thumb.jpg

Ralph:

Thanks

Yes that does solve it, although I guess I would call it a "workaround" as I prefer working with a larger mini-player. (yes compared to ver 4 the mini player reduced the way you have is much better, but "give me an inch and I want a mile" :)

Again it is a matter of getting used to something.

If there is no fix on this from Igor then I have to decide amongst:

- Auto Scroll 1

- much reduced mini player screen with Auto scroll 2

- reduce the acceleration settings under PROPERITIES > SETTINGS> ADVANCED

Below is the screen I like to work with (sure would be nice to have the "old" option of having the file names only in the file window pane !

post-239-1234528752_thumb.jpg

Just to throw my tuppence worth into the ring. I tried running with autoscroll 2 in both 5.5 and 5.6 on a couple of shows of mine, on a Dell laptop with a duo core 1.8 GHz Centrino cpu, 3 GB ram, a 1680 x 1050 pixel screen, and an nVidia 8600M-GT gpu with 256 MB on board.

The blue pointer moved very smoothly to the centre of the timeline at 27.5 seconds (half of the 55 seconds of timeline visible). At that point the blue pointer became stationary, and the timeline began moving left. At no time did the timeline move absolutely smoothly, it moved in 'mini-jitter' fashion, but I didn't see any actual pauses, or stops, in its movement, and I couldn't see any difference between 5.5 and 5.6.

My thinking is that the gpu has to manufacture the timeline display continuously ( a much more processor-intensive task than moving the blue pointer), but secondary to the priority given to PZR and transition effects being applied to the slides, so that at peak gpu usage, the timeline would be ignored in favor of the picture until the gpu got its breath back, so to speak.

This is supported by reports of better performance when the mini screen is reduced in size, relieving some of the load on the gpu, and allowing more processor time for the timeline.

If I'm right, nothing can be done about it, except to use a quicker gpu.

Colin

Jim

Below is the screen I like to work with (sure would be nice to have the "old" option of having the file names only in the file window pane !

Do you mean you wish to see only the file name - in File Pane, like this

post-14-1234577059_thumb.jpg

If so - Click View and uncheck " File Pane as Thumbnails "

You can also view only file name in " Slide List " if preferred.

--------------------------------

As to calling this a work around, I also agree. At least this showed the Mini Player size appears to be the problem area with smooth scroll.

However this only pertains to Style 2, with lower end video card.

As DaveG has pointed out a 512MB card will handle viewing the Mini Player much larger, and a smooth scroll with Style 2, on larger widescreen monitors.

512MB video card will also handle all other features of PTE / VideoBuilder much better.

Thanks Dave.

Jim

Do you mean you wish to see only the file name - in File Pane, like this

post-14-1234577059_thumb.jpg

If so - Click View and uncheck " File Pane as Thumbnails "

You can also view only file name in " Slide List " if preferred.

--------------------------------

Hawk:

Thanks for the tip re the file names. I embarrassingly posted that request as somehting for a new version (to bring it back) and someone very nicely pointed at the same settings you did to give me what I wanted.

I hung my head in shame....