WnSoft Forums

New fractal animation online

starfish

Hi,

I have put up a new fractal animation on a private page on my website. Here is the URL:

http://www.fractalus.com/sharon/anims/exeanims.htm

This animation is an 8 MB download. It uses MIDI music, as MP3 would have brought the size up to 11+MB.

The animation is of a sliced 3D quaternion fractal, mirrored on the X and Y axis to give a kaleidoscopic effect. What you will be seeing if you d/l the file is slices of a 3D fractal, turning inward upon itself.

Sharon

Hi, Sharon,

Interesting show - made me a bit dizzy watching it, but it was well done! :)

I would like to see the images in sync with the music, though.

I noticed in experimenting with the newer PTE versions that if the images are too fast, they sort of back up, and get out of sync, but the show doesn't completely stop like it used to, so maybe it was because of my slow pc?? :huh:

Great idea, though! Do you do your own MIDI compositions? If so, what sequencer do you use?

I'm trying to compose some of my own, and it's a lot of work!! Keep up the original work!

OK, it must be my machine just not able to keep up. I was pretty sure you would had synched it - I'll try it out on my laptop which is a little faster. My desktop speed is 400 KHz (Celeron).

By the way, how large are your image files on average?

I was sure I read 400MHz the first time Al, but 400 KiloHertz? Now that's slow :blink:

Sharon, the sound-pic sync worked fine on my 400 MHz system.... And even that is slow :)

I did a quick look around on the site, and I can see there is some interesting exploration ahead. The fractals and the site are all quite well done. Thank you!

Sorry Sharon, but I found the fractals very uneasy on the eye. I need something gentler and with more variety for the slide show to appeal to me.

Individual slow disolves to a haunting peice of music may work better as the shapes and colours blend together duting the transition.

bbdigital

Sharon, I share some of Barry's reaction in that it is a visual processing overload, being bombarded with rapid and sudden changes constantly. In thinking about all of the feedback I came up with another show idea that may be of interest in fractals. Instead of using dissolves to fade or effects to transition from one to the next, what if you use morphing software to make some intermediate frames and fade (fast is ok, or both) between those frames? The fractals would have to have some relationship from one source image to the next, and that may be tough. And the fine detail may not morph well(?) I don't have enough experience in morphing images to know.

How does this sound?

Any good morphing software tips out there?

BTW I really like some of the fractals from the linked site. B)

Hi,

Thanks for all the comments.

For those who like slow and easy, well...this isn't a slideshow, it's an animation. ;) I like slow and easy for slide shows, too. For the record, I have done a few slow and easy fractal shows, but don't have any up on my site just yet. The problem with posting PTE shows online is that for people like me, with a dialup system, it takes forever to upload them...and to download them for viewing, too. When I get broadband (whenever that is, here in this little town) I'll go hog wild. :rolleyes:

As for morhphing, I have done it. It's a pain in the ___. :-) But, fun too. But it's very slow going, because to get a good morph you have to come up with as many matching points as possible.

Someone asked what size the pictures were. The short answer to that is, TOO BIG. I have learned better, however, and won't repeat that mistake again.

Anyway, thanks again. It's all a learning experience.

Sharon