WnSoft Forums

Location of Auto Save backup files in PTE 5.6

I searched the forum (+auto +save) and couldn't find an answer to this question, nor is it answered in the user guide. I've only just started using the auto save feature, but so far either PTE isn't saving timed backups of the pte file or I can't find them. I don't see anything in my project folder, nor in any of the PTE subfolders or main folder under c/program files.

So my question is, where are the auto save files saved? There doesn't seem to be anywhere in the menu structure for me to set the folder location, unless I've missed something (entirely possible!).

Not urgent for me personally, as I prefer to do manual saves, but that doesn't help if the system crashes, and this probably is going to come up as a question I can't answer (yet) in a presentation I'm giving about PTE later this month.

Ed,

I believe your expectation of the Auto Save Project function of Pte was thought to be as you first posted as by also creating a backup file in addition to the original. But as Ken stated ... it just saves over the original project file.

Auto Saving Project is performing its prescribed function ... which is not the same as a Auto Save Project Backup ( a different defined function which Pte does not have) which would the provide additional feature(s) you suggest.

I have other programs that also have Auto Save function ... and they too dont work like a Auto Backup function. I do have some programs that do specifically create Auto Backup(s) and is so defined and labeled.

Thanks all, especially Dave for pointing me to the other thread, which I found very interesting.

So as I understand it, Auto Save will over-write my current project file, rather than creating a separate backup file (which would have been my strong preference).

I never worry about power outages, since I use a laptop all the time, generally off the AC adapter but if the power dies the laptop automatically kicks instantly to the battery, which is always fully charged due to the Ac adapter, so I have about 3 hours of time left to do whatever. However as Peter noted in the other thread, that doesn't help if you get a sudden system crash. So I guess for me the sensible thing is to accept the default 7-min autosave and then manually save different versions as I go along in my creative process, if I so wish. At least that way I won't lose more than 7 minutes of work if the system crashes. That sounds fine to me.

At least now I know why I couldn't find a file named "backup" anywhere ;) which is what I was expecting.

Must remember to pay more attention to the little status-bar notes at the bottom of the screen ...