WnSoft Forums

Difficulty with Menue

Peter Coles

I have loaded all the Sequences for an International event into four menues, using the older 4.8 menue with which I am more familiar and find easier to programme. One Sequence, which just happens to be one of my own, keeps coming up with "Command line contains prohibited command and will not be performed". I have tried all sorts of things but cannot get this to work. HELP PLEASE !!!!!!!! (e-mail peter@3-c.coop)

Peter

Peter,

If you create a menu in an different version of PTE than has been used for the PTE shows which the menu calls up, then you might experience problems. I have not investigated this with a variety of versions, but certainly if you create a menu in the latest version of PTE (5.6) and try to run shows created in earlier versions, then you will experience inconsistencies in the projects. I would suggest trying version 5.6 and re-compling shows in 5.6 also. Yes I know it is a pain but there is incompatibilities between the graphics engines of older and newer versions.

In your case you are using a fairly old version to create the menu. Maybe the shows that this menu calls up were created in later versions which have additional commands which the older version does not recognise.

Please show us exactly how this particular command line reads!

Regards,

Xaver

Munich

That is what comes up when I click on the play this Sequence request!

I have other Sequences made by myself in the same programme which do not come up with this- "Command line contains prohibited command and will not be performed... "

Hi Peter

Using a 4.4 menu should give no problems with launching any sequence no matter what version it was created in. I suspect for the Geoffrey Round you will have a whole variety of exes including ProShow, mObjects and Wings Platinum to run, so there would be no advantage in using a 5.6 menu.

It sounds more likely that the filename you have used for the problem sequence has a reserved character in it. Make sure that there is not a backslash included in the file name, or you haven't used a filename that is the same as a Windows OS filename.

Ian

Peter,

I presume that you are using the "Run application or open file" option on the menu item you use to launch the sequence. If so, in the Properties of the object that is causing the problem, what exactly is coded in the "Enter program name" field. I suspect you might have something like a space between the sequence name and the exe file extension, or a leading space, or some other unwanted character(s).

regards,

Peter

Peter Coles,

You most likely have filenames that closely resemble the following list. Please keep your filenames SAS (short and simple) and avoid names listed even if they are somewhat close.

Heres my current list of not to use:

1) Concerning "Run application" action or Run Slideshow commands in slide-show.

The solution for now seems in creation of potentialy dangerous Windows' commands list, that to be prohibited to execute. For now dangerous files and command are the following:

at

attrib

call

cmd

command

copy

del

deltree

erase

for

format

fdisk

move

net

net1

ren

rename

replace

rmdir

rd

recover

regedit

rundll

qstart

setup

start

sys

type

xcopy

regsrv

regedt32

regsvr32

commands with '>' character are also prohibited.

* setup - added to overall list, see Peter's post below.

Hi Peter

Using a 4.4 menu should give no problems with launching any sequence no matter what version it was created in. I suspect for the Geoffrey Round you will have a whole variety of exes including ProShow, mObjects and Wings Platinum to run, so there would be no advantage in using a 5.6 menu.

It sounds more likely that the filename you have used for the problem sequence has a reserved character in it. Make sure that there is not a backslash included in the file name, or you haven't used a filename that is the same as a Windows OS filename.

Ian

Many thanks, Ian. I think you deserve the Gold Medal! That seems to have cracked it; I just called it summut else and re-programmed it all back in. Incidentally it also seemed to, somehow, have reverted back to PTE 1.1 when I tried to remake it all for this new session. I can't explain that either as I no longer, of course have 1.1 on my computer! Anyway all now seems well. The filename happened to be FOR.exe !!!

Problem solved - well that one anyway! Well done Beechbrook! Well done Ian. Thanks to all for your help!

Next!

Peter

I believe when you try to open a show saved with the v5 series with the v4 series you will get that message PTE 1.1

ver 5 will open ver 4 stuff but not the reverse

you have to be very carefull when working with the 2 versions

when i open a v3 to v4 series show with ver 5 series i save it under a different name and leave the v3 to v4 series pte as is

get Maureen or Ian to walk you thru the process :)

ken

Peter

I believe when you try to open a show saved with the v5 series with the v4 series you will get that message PTE 1.1

ver 5 will open ver 4 stuff but not the reverse

you have to be very carefull when working with the 2 versions

when i open a v3 to v4 series show with ver 5 series i save it under a different name and leave the v3 to v4 series pte as is

get Maureen or Ian to walk you thru the process :)

ken

Thanks for that.

I just find 5.6 difficult to work with making Menues compared with earlier say 4.8. Tiny images do not suit my tiny mind! Too many words in 5.6 Menue-makers mean so little to me that they put me off rather than help! My simple mind needs simple things made even more simple rather than the reverse.

Anyway - problem solved thanks to the everso prompt help via the kind Beechbrook folk.

On with my next problem!

Not AV though, this next one - far more serious !!!! But less fun !!!!!!