WnSoft Forums

PtE and the Mac

Henri.R

I'm using a (Intel) iMac with Bootcamp to produce my PtE-shows (with version 5.6) and that is a good combo. The iMac has 4 Gb of memory and a ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro card.

The Macbooks is another story: only the Macbook Pro had a separate graphics card but unfortunately the Pro is much too expensive for my budget.... The Macbooks had shared cards and we all know that's no good solution for AV-shows.

But recently I saw some specs of the new Macbook with a new type NVidia card (GeForce 9400M) with sharing in a new and different way.

Can anybody tell me about using PtE on the new Macbook with Bootcamp(not the Pro).

Henri. :unsure:

Hi Henri,

I'm surprised nobody has replied as yet.

I too have an interest as I saw a presentation the other night where both a mac and a pc were used using the same projector and i was very impressed by the quality of the projected images from the mac.

I hope to get a chance to see identical images projected from both systems in a more controlled way sometime in the near future.

I have also been in touch with my local mac store to set up a demo of the new macbook running a few of the PTE test shows that have been going tjhe rounds recently as I'm not convinced by the graphics claims. Seeing is believing!

Regards

John

John and Ken, thanks for your reactions.

John, maybe you know what they say: the best Windows computer is a Mac? :P

And I indeed asked some Apple premiumresellers here in the Netherlands to demonstrate the Macbook with Bootcamp and Windows to test the graphic capacity, but then they laughed and said: here in my store no Windows! Rather stupid; as far as I know the premium goal for a premium reseller is to sell Apple machines...

Ken, thanks for your tip regarding Tom Mendenhall, I'll do that.

Regards,

Henri. :rolleyes:

Henri,

I am a late follower of this thread ~ but concerning the 'NVidia Ge9400' Card, this is using a

variation of the Intel (Board-level) Chip-Sets 900 and 940 Series which are used on various

Laptops and they really work very well on Motherboard installations.

If you follow this 'Link' below you can make a comparison as to how these work which may help

you in any selection you finally choose. Look out for the Laptops which are using these Chips.

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index....t=0&start=0

Brian.Conflow.

HENRI

if you buy a mac book and put winows on it, make sure take it around to the smarty pants dealer to show him how well it works and what you were trying to achieve

-- maybe he will come out of his shell the next time somebody comes asking :rolleyes::wacko::wacko:

ken

Henri,

If you get any feedback from Tom I would be interested in any advice he has to offer.

Interesting the reaction you got from the mac dealer. I'm wondering if I will hear anything from the Edinburgh people or if I was just being given a brush off! I 'll give them till Wednesday.

John

Tom,

Thank you for your input. Very interesting and encouraging. Can you comment on the following - an extract from my initial post on this topic?

"both a mac and a pc were used using the same projector and i was very impressed by the quality of the projected images from the mac.

I hope to get a chance to see identical images projected from both systems in a more controlled way sometime in the near future."

It will be some time before I get the chance to see a side by side comparison so would be interested in your views. Is it likely that projected images would be of a higher standard via a mac or was I imagining it do you think?

Regards

John

Geoffrey,

You wrote "It does seem a little strange that THE platform designed and developed for graphics use is left bereft of such a fine tool as PTE for the display of images!?!

You're quite right here; great graphical applications like Photoshop were originally developed for the Mac in the nineties, not to mention productions like Starwars, made with Macs... and it's amazing that apps for Windows like PtE, Wings and M-objects, to mention some, doesn't exist for the Apple platform. Let's hope that someday Igor and his team have some spare time to make this splendid PtE suitable for Macintosh; moreover, I'm willing to pay some extra euro's to see PtE running with a Leopard.. :P

In the meantime, I use Bootcamp with XP sp2 (works better than Parallels or Fusion, because of not using the graphical card in the right way?); great disadvantage of course is the risk of viruses, spyware etc. And of course, using 2 platforms is a bit more complicated, but that for me personally, is just one more challenge to keep my brains in good shape... And then, it's a pleasure to create a show with Pictures to Exe..

regards,

Henri.

Henri,

"In the meantime, I use Bootcamp with XP sp2 (works better than Parallels or Fusion, because of not using the graphical card in the right way?); great disadvantage of course is the risk of viruses, spyware etc. And of course, using 2 platforms is a bit more complicated, but that for me personally, is just one more challenge to keep my brains in good shape... And then, it's a pleasure to create a show with Pictures to Exe.."

As you know from my post above I am exploring the likelyhood of moving to mac and in particular trying to get a demo of a mac running windows and some of the PTE graphics testers - hopefully later today.

My question however is, given the difficulties outlined by yourself above - why do you use and what do you see as the benefits of a mac?

Regards

John

John,

I'm afraid that explaining the benefits of the Mac will be a little off topic here; but let me tell you that I used Apple computers from 1979-2000. In that year I decided to switch to Windows because almost every one in my photoclub had a PC. One year ago I decided to switch back because of the ongoing trouble with the Windows operating system: the crashes, the viruses, the (in the meantime known) difficulties with Vista etc.

Now I'm back on a platform with no viruses, no crashes from the moment I bought this iMac, a very, very solid professional operatingsystem and a beautiful design!

And I assure you, I'm a independent tv-producer with no financial interests whatsoever with Apple..

In short, I'm driving a Rolls again... :P And PtE is the only application I need Windows for.. :(

But don't forget: all this is a very personal matter.

I don't know what country you live in but I suggest you to visit an Applestore and just try out one of the computers displayed there; you can't destroy anything in that system..

regards,

Henri.

Sorry John, I see you live in Scotland. I'm sure there are some good Applestores and/or resellers..

Hi,

MAC/PC Demo

The saga continues. Its like drawing blood out of a stone or should I say a PC out of an apple! Having been promised by an Apple Rep that a certain dealer had a Desktop mac with XP loaded and an NVIDIA 9400 graphics card I took in some of the PTE test shows that have been produced over the years. When I got there I found that it was some old Mac with an older graphics card, running Parallels. Useless. However, I have been assured that sometime next week I will be able to try it on a MacBook with the 9400 chip. If I didn’t know better I would say they are scared it won’t work.

John

OOOWWWWWwwwww!! Do you really need to shout so loud? Most, if not all members of this forum are very intelligent and have no need of such yelling to attract their attention.

Colin

Hi Colin

Sorry about that - I'm not really used to using the sizing controls on these forum things - I did not realise how large the font was until after I posted it - I just wanted to emphasise it a little bit!

Cheers

Geoffrey

Thanks Ken,

That all adds to my incresing understanding of the subject.

Untill I am able to see some of the PTE Testers running on a new macbook (perhaps next week) I will not be buying. In any event as I understand it Snow Leopard is due soon followed by Windows 7 so I may well do nothing till at least Snow Leopard is out.

Regards

John

Thanks Ken,

That all adds to my incresing understanding of the subject.

Untill I am able to see some of the PTE Testers running on a new macbook (perhaps next week) I will not be buying. In any event as I understand it Snow Leopard is due soon followed by Windows 7 so I may well do nothing till at least Snow Leopard is out.

Regards

John

Hi John

I think computing is like cameras - the next all singing all dancing version is always 'just around the corner' - Are we not all guilty (and I plead guilty as well!) of waiting for the ultimate solution rather than "getting on with it" - i.e. taking pictures and creating presentations?

Technology only facilitates creation, it is not a substitute for it! http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/style_...icons/icon2.gif

Cheers

Geoffrey

my brother has had a mac since commodore 64 days and he continually rubs my nose in it as to what it will do vs windows - he has a recent version -- dont know what cause i ignore him

my techie had an old mac and thought it was a clunker

my techie bought a new mac couple months ago to develop software with - "hate to admit it Ken but she is the greatest" it has its quirks but he can live with it -- his problem is learning a totally new way of doing things

ken

Hi Ken,

You still are remarkable in finding resources, thanks a lot. And by the way, maybe you better should adore your brother and his Mac instead of ignore him ;)

and John, according to MacWorld there is a possibilty that the new OS, Snowleopard, will be launched at June 8... But I think there is no need for waiting as the existing OS is so very good. I don't think the newest is always the best and I am convinced that in general we can use our gear much longer than we are told!

I like to thank everybody for his encouraging and advising regarding this topic.

'His?' Yes, I'm afraid this is still a men's world; however, in our Photoclub we now have about 40% female members and that was 10 % in the eighties :rolleyes:

regards,

Henri.