WnSoft Forums

Blue color cast

Bert

I started a new project. I have put all the jpeg files that I want to use in a folder. When I open this folder in PTE 7 or PTE 7.5, the images have changed color, mostly everything looks blue. If I open that same folder in any other program, the color is normal. I have put a EXE folder of my PTE project in dropbox, see: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/12297675/Old%20Factory.exe

so you can see what is going on with the colors.

Attached is the image as it looks (not opened in PTE)

Other (older) projects open fine with no color cast in PTE. I downloaded PTE 7.5 today to see if it showed also the color cast and it does.

I have since a month a new computer, and this is the first time that I start to use PTE on that computer. I have no problems with any of the other programs I downloaded again like, (Adobe PS5, Adobe Lightroom 4, or Nikon NX2) they all work fine.

Windows 7 home premium. 8 GB Ram.

Does anybody has a solution.

Thanks,

Bert

The Attachment of the image without the color cast did not work, I have put it also in Dropbox, see: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/12297675/Bert_110803_0013_0_1_2.jpg

Bert

It seems the colours are inverted, i.e. the orange colours of rust are turned blue, and the blue writing on the back wall has turned orange. These colours are spectral opposites, so I think your problem is the colour space the images are in.

You need to load the images into Photoshop or similar and ensure that the colour space is sRGB, which PTE is set up for. If you are shooting for slide shows you should be taking the shots in sRGB, not AdobeRGB

To help you further, could you tell us how the shots were taken, and what afterwork was done to the images?

Check the colour settings in all of the software you use - as said above convert to sRGB.

ProPhoto RGB will give a similar look when viewed in sRGB space.

Photoshop's Save for the Web will automatically convert to sRGB - there is a tick box to look out for.

DG

I just downloaded the image from your second post and looked at in PTE 7.07. Image was normal in preview, and normal when running the resultant exe file. Running XP here.

Photoshop said the image is in AdobeRGB, but that should make little difference for this purpose.

I had a problem recently (on my laptop) where for some reason I had lost the Monitor Profile in Display / Advanced / Colour Management (Vista).

When I first read this thread it was the first thing that came to mind (same symptoms), but I didn't suggest it because others would not see the same thing as you.

It only affected my NX2.

Worth checking?

DG

The problem here is not associated with a wrong color space. On my machine (XP SP3), when loading Bert's image into PTE v707, I see the same color effect. Bert's image does not contain any color space information, and even if I strip off all meta data from this image, PTE still shows the strange effect. IrfanView, XnView and Photoshop show the image correctly. Opening and saving the image with all 3 programs yield results that work well with PTE. Maybe, the original image file is a bit corrupted?

By the way, a remark on color management: Although sRGB is in most cases a good choice for AV productions, we should not make a global recommendation. Let me once again refer to my earlier post, see here.

Regards,

Xaver

Thank you all for the fast replies.

It was indeed a "color space" mismatch. With my new computer I started to use "ProPhoto" color space and 16 bits, and when I converted the Tiff's to jpegs via "Faststone Photo Resizer", it stayed in that color space.

Now all the jpeg's are back in sRGb and everything looks fine.

Thanks to the members on this forum who are exceptional help full.

Regards,

Bert

Bert,

Between Camera and PTE you can use whatever Colour Space suits you best. What you must do is convert the output JPEG to a colour space that is acceptable to PTE in your computer.

I found that the ProPhoto RGB space was an ideal one to use with my RAW files shot in sRGB (in-camera). It was possible to see (in some cases) an immediate, if slight, improvement in Dynamic Range in the Histogram when the conversion from sRGB to ProPhoto RGB took place in my RAW converter of choice. However, the hassle of having to make sure that my JPEG was converted to a more suitable space - and the consequences of forgetting - became a problem, so I have stuck with an sRGB workflow thoughout for some time.

I should add that the sRGB Space means nothing in a RAW file until it is applied in the RAW converter. The Space that you set in-camera is, however, applied to any JPEGs generated in-camera; for instance if you shoot RAW and JPEG. The other reason for setting sRGB in-camera is that it alters the file name structure to something that I find to be more acceptable.

In a recent poll 99.9% of PTE users admitted to using the sRGB Space for their PTE projects, but there are opinions that this is not correct. So let us just say that sRGB seems to work for a lot of people.B)

DG

Hi Dave,

Seeing how easy it is to forget to set the color space to sRGB, I have desided just like you to work only in sRBG, and forgo the slide improvement in ProPhoto color space.

Regards,

Bert

In a recent poll 99.9% of PTE users admitted to using the sRGB Space for their PTE projects, but there are opinions that this is not correct

What do you mean? There are opinions that the result of this poll (I do not know it) is not correct; or, there are opinions that (at least in particular, i.e. color managed environments) sRGB can be the wrong color space.

By the way, the second statement is not an opinion, it is a fact :)

Regards,

Xaver