WnSoft Forums

Youtube

stonemason

What do people think about a forum section for utube and it's associated problems? I ask this because it seems that the PTE section is getting bogged down and overloaded with utube related problems. I worry that people who come here for help and advice is the mechanics of using PTE and creating slideshows will increasingly find it difficult to sift out information. I will nail my colours firmly to the mast and say that creating slideshows for utube has no interest for me, and I would rather continue to support Bill at Beechbrook cottage and see peoples work at the best quality. If people think that my judgement is prejudiced by this opinion then that's fine, and I hope that a good debate results from this.

Regards

Geoff

Hi Geoff,

It's actually "Youtube" not "Utube".

Of the last 81 thread titles under the PTE title, five are about Youtube - that's hardly being "bogged down" or "overloaded" don't you think? If one counted by category responses rather than by thread titles then a discussion about "projectors versus monitors" might be the top contender lately, but this is what a discussion forum is all about.

Many of the new people who come to the forums are quite interested in Youtube and Vimeo and these are two of the main additions to the latest released version 5.6, so naturally are of interest to many.

There is no need to start a discussion about whether or not Youtube or Vimeo for that matter are of interest, if they were not then the developers of PTE would not have included them. Also there is no reason to choose whether to support Beechbrook Cottage "or" Youtube/Vimeo, there is plenty of room for both. Youtube and Vimeo do not support executable files and Bill doesn't host videos so it's definitely not an "either/or" situation. It's up to the individual to decide how to create their slideshows and where they may wish to post them. Remember that many people who create shows wish to share them with a large audience and there is still a rather strong reluctance on the part of many out there toward downloading executable code regardless of how "safe" we know it is. This is perhaps why video and sharing sites such as Youtube, Vimeo, Facebook, are so popular. A video displayed on Youtube will be avable to literally millions of viewers each day. An executable posted on one's own site or on Beechbrook will be available only to those who know about one's own site or Beechbrook - and were there to be even a fraction of as many visits and downloads from Beechbrook as from Youtube or Vimeo it would totally overwhelm Bill's bandwidth.

The newcomers to the forum ask questions about issues which concern them and hopefully get an unbiased answer to their questions or they are referred to technical support when members can't provide adequate solutions.

I suppose my point is that we really don't need a special category yet for Youtube and Vimeo, but if interest gets truly overwhelming it would be something for Wnsoft to consider.

Best regards,

Lin

"It's actually "Youtube" not "Utube"."

Hi Lin

I stand Corrected over "youtube". Thanks for your input, as always well reasoned and well constructed. You may well be right in your arguments, but I felt that it was at least worth a discussion, and "New Forum" does tend to grab peoples attention quite quickly.

Regards

Geoff

Geoff,

I go along with Lin on this. The current "hot topics" on the forum do include a lot of queries concerning Youtube. But that is one of the hot new features in PTE v5.6. So it is only to be expected that it would feature strongly at present. I think we should let the dust settle then if there is an apparent benefit in opening a new Forum sectuion, we can put this suggestion to the WnSoft team.

Knowing their awareness of customer feeling, they will probably be ahead of us on this decision any way!

regards,

Peter

P.S. I, too, am an old "stick in the mud", "dyed in the wool" AV purist who has no interest in videos or DVDs and not much interest in Animation either. But I'm also an "old dog" whose willing to be taught "new tricks". I read all the posts and try to learn from them.

Hi Peter

I do output slideshows to menu driven DVD's for myself and others, although my prime interest is .exe slideshows. Like you I am always willing to learn, but I haven't been tempted by youtube as yet but who knows! I just felt that it was possibly worthy of discussion so thought I would kick it off to see if others agreed.

Regards

Geoff

I believe having another forum topic for YouTube and Vimeo makes a lot of sense. Anyone who has a question specific to those web sites would know exactly where to find an answer without having to sift through all the other posts. Afterall, there's already a forum titled: DVD-Video, AVI, VideoBuilder

Perhaps that forum could be renamed DVD-Video, AVI, VideoBuilder, YouTube and Vimeo

Regards,

Mark Madere