WnSoft Forums

Book of Images

bjc

On the off-chance that anyone is interested, I’ve just completed an experiment based on my “Flipping Images” (simulated page turning effect) of some years ago.

Now that PTE offers 3D image rotation and flip, I thought it worth a go to re-enact that same effect, only this time using the new features in PTE. And of course, it goes without saying, PTE does the job perfectly, even better than the original experiment (well done Igor !!).

The file (link below) is a 3.32MB zip file (no audio), which displays a series of images in ‘Book’ form ~ some of the pages contain text, but for the purposes of this exercise they too are jpg images. The reason for the latter being to enable the .pte file to be re-used to auto-create subsequent ‘Books’ without the need to re-work anything (just substitute the original image files in the folder for the new image files ~ and Bob’s your Uncle).

If anyone wishes, I will make the project files available for download ~ with instructions on how to do the necessary. For anyone wishing to create their own ‘Book’ from scratch (mine’s only 1024x768) ~ it’s not too complicated (although it’s somewhat time consuming), the only processes used were ~ Y axis rotation only ~ and Show front side/Show back side ~ other than that it’s pretty straightforward.

I would appreciate any comments and/or observations should any be forthcoming.

Link to .zip file ~

Regards,

bjc

bjc...

Very nice. I like the results. I'd like to see a template .pte to see how you did it.

Good work.

Thanks... Gary

=======================

...If anyone wishes, I will make the project files available for download ~ with instructions on how to do the necessary. For anyone wishing to create their own ‘Book’ from scratch (mine’s only 1024x768) ~ it’s not too complicated (although it’s somewhat time consuming), the only processes used were ~ Y axis rotation only ~ and Show front side/Show back side ~ other than that it’s pretty straightforward....

Regards,

bjc

On the off-chance that anyone is interested, I’ve just completed an experiment based on my “Flipping Images” (simulated page turning effect) of some years ago.

Now that PTE offers 3D image rotation and flip, I thought it worth a go to re-enact that same effect, only this time using the new features in PTE. And of course, it goes without saying, PTE does the job perfectly, even better than the original experiment (well done Igor !!).

The file (link below) is a 3.32MB zip file (no audio), which displays a series of images in ‘Book’ form ~ some of the pages contain text, but for the purposes of this exercise they too are jpg images. The reason for the latter being to enable the .pte file to be re-used to auto-create subsequent ‘Books’ without the need to re-work anything (just substitute the original image files in the folder for the new image files ~ and Bob’s your Uncle).

If anyone wishes, I will make the project files available for download ~ with instructions on how to do the necessary. For anyone wishing to create their own ‘Book’ from scratch (mine’s only 1024x768) ~ it’s not too complicated (although it’s somewhat time consuming), the only processes used were ~ Y axis rotation only ~ and Show front side/Show back side ~ other than that it’s pretty straightforward.

Link to .zip file ~

Regards,

bjc

Hi BJC, fantastic show,when you have some spare time please share the project files and instructions.

Thanks for sharing, Gayland.

I loved your little book demo! Beautiful photos and you've got the animation just right. I would definitely like to see a template. I have some software that creates a similar "flipping book", but it only creates a flash file. It's nice to know that PTE now has the ability to create something similar. Thanks for sharing this.

Hi bjc,

Nice to see you on the Forum again, I still have your Tutorials and Templates from way back and this one is

as mentioned in previous posts Just beautiful and would love a Template.

thanks anyway for chance to even see the Exe.

All the best Ray

As there have been requests for the template, I’ve knocked together a revised (low file size) version to pass on to you.

I have replaced the actual images used (in the version you watched) with ‘place-holder’ images ~ simply white .jpgs with the numbers 1 to 34 on them ~ not a very interesting slideshow I have to admit, but all you have to do now is replace those images with your own images, and the book becomes your book.

I have also created a set of simple instructions (.pdf file) on what to do and how to do it ~ including image size and image name requirements etc.

The template .zip file (link below) is 273KB

The instructions .pdf file (link below) is 189KB

I hope it all works OK for those that choose to experiment with it.

Link to Template zip file

Link to the instructions .pdf

(Tom: Photoshop was used to create the book shadow .png file)

Regards

bjc

bjc...

Thanks for the template. I made my own version and turned it into a screensaver. Really neat.

However, I am having problems adding Text to each image. For example, I added Text in Slides 002 and 003, as Childs to each image. Positioned and resized them to fit. I also unchecked "Show back side" of each Text. When I 'Play' this section in O&A, it looks good. My problem is that when I play the file in 'Preview', the 2 Texts do not show up until page 003 starts to turn. I can not figure out how to have the Text appear as Slides 002 and 003 appear.

I had the same problem putting Text in thedom's cube. Really baffling!

Can you help me out with this???

Thanks...Gary

=============

As there have been requests for the template, I’ve knocked together a revised (low file size) version to pass on to you....

Regards

bjc

Hi Gary,

What you want to achieve IS possible ~ I’ve just been back to my template and quickly done it, however, the explanation would be more complex to word (and comprehend) than the process itself is to do. So please forgive me for not typing out all the precise details in full. If you really must add the text using PTE wording all I can say is:- Add the text to the ‘Rectangles’ as additional children, not as children to the images themselves, and then go through the process of ‘experimenting’ until the penny drops as to what is required to achieve the effect you desire. Once understood it really isn’t all that complex, but believe me, the process would be very difficult to explain in writing.

That said, and to make life REALLY easy, why not simply add the text to the images themselves (in Photoshop or whatever) and re-save the images back to the same folder ~ the images will be automatically updated in PTE, and your task will be complete.

bjc

(Thanks to everyone else for their kind comments)

bjc...

I gave it a try. I added the Text to the 'Rectangles' as children. It did not go too well. I have put images on both sides of the book.

For 002 and 003, the Text went in 'mirrored'.

For 004, it typed in looking correct; 005, typed in 'mirrored'.

For 006, it typed in looking correct; 007, typed in 'mirrored'.

Same for 008 and 009, thru 018 and 019.

From there on, I could type in Text on the image on the left. But, from that point on, with the images on the right side, when I dragged the Text into the image, the Text dissappeared (maybe behind the image). I could not get it into the image.

Then when I Previewed the slideshow, things went further South. Many Text showed as 'mirrored' and a different Text showed until the page started to turn, then the correct Text appeared on the left image...just crazy.

This is getting beyond my comprehension, and usually I will stick it out to find a solution, but this has me baffled.

Thanks for the suggestions but I think I'll sit this one out until someone comes up with a tutorial. :)

I really like what you have done with your 'little box'. Makes a great screensaver too!

Gary

==========================

Hi Gary,

What you want to achieve IS possible ~ I’ve just been back to my template and quickly done it, however, the explanation would be more complex to word (and comprehend) than the process itself is to do. So please forgive me for not typing out all the precise details in full. If you really must add the text using PTE wording all I can say is:- Add the text to the ‘Rectangles’ as additional children, not as children to the images themselves, and then go through the process of ‘experimenting’ until the penny drops as to what is required to achieve the effect you desire. Once understood it really isn’t all that complex, but believe me, the process would be very difficult to explain in writing.

That said, and to make life REALLY easy, why not simply add the text to the images themselves (in Photoshop or whatever) and re-save the images back to the same folder ~ the images will be automatically updated in PTE, and your task will be complete.

bjc

(Thanks to everyone else for their kind comments)